Old 28 July 2018, 11:28   #1

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Lowrance 3G Radar Overlay Invalid

I have a Lowrance 3G Radar hooked upto HDS9 and HDS7 Gen 3 Plotters, with an Evinrude Point 1 on a NMEA2000 network. I can’t get the radar to overlay and constantly get the “radar overlay invalid” message.

One suggestion reading the various blogs is that the Evinrude Point 1 does not have the heading functionality of the Lowrance Point 1 which is the cause of the issue.

Can anyone confirm this and also if I was to swap the Evinrude for a Lowrance Point 1 whether this would a cause any issues with the engine set-up?

Thanks
Old 28 July 2018, 11:56   #2
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
I'm using HDS Gen 1 and Gen 2 with Lowrance 3G radar and a Point-1.

Firstly - I can't imagine the Evinrude labelled kit is much different from the Lowrance version. The Icon system needs NMEA2000 GPS data - it should work with ANY NMEA2000 source, surely?

Overlay. Both of your MFDs are supplying GPS data to the network, as well as the Point-1. Have you set the primary network data source as the Point-1? A good test would be to check if the boat icon (arrow) on the MDFs reflect the direction the boat is facing when at rest or drifting, rather than the direction of travel.
I recall the radar being fairly fiddly to set up initially. Once operational, it required calibration as the entire display was almost 180 degrees off true. The Point 1 likely will require calibration at sea also. I think neither calibration process should affect the overlay function - just that the results would be off.
Old 28 July 2018, 12:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm using HDS Gen 1 and Gen 2 with Lowrance 3G radar and a Point-1.

Firstly - I can't imagine the Evinrude labelled kit is much different from the Lowrance version. The Icon system needs NMEA2000 GPS data - it should work with ANY NMEA2000 source, surely?

Overlay. Both of your MFDs are supplying GPS data to the network, as well as the Point-1. Have you set the primary network data source as the Point-1? A good test would be to check if the boat icon (arrow) on the MDFs reflect the direction the boat is facing when at rest or drifting, rather than the direction of travel.
I recall the radar being fairly fiddly to set up initially. Once operational, it required calibration as the entire display was almost 180 degrees off true. The Point 1 likely will require calibration at sea also. I think neither calibration process should affect the overlay function - just that the results would be off.

Thanks for your reply - I read somewhere that the Evinrude Point 1 has limited functionality. It is showing up on the NMEA2000 network although I’m not sure it is the primary network data source - I’ll check later! When I’m on a mooring the arrow does not reflect the direction the boat is facing so maybe this is the issue?

As regards the radar it works independently and is accurate, but I just can’t get the overlay working. All the kit is updated with the latest software etc..
Old 28 July 2018, 12:26   #4
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMW View Post
When I’m on a mooring the arrow does not reflect the direction the boat is facing so maybe this is the issue?
That does sound like you're not using the Point 1 data on the MFDs. For the radar image to be correctly overlaid, the system will need to know what direction the boat is pointing.
Old 28 July 2018, 12:32   #5

I’ll check that later and let you know - cheers
Old 28 July 2018, 17:05   #6

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I have the lowrance point 1 and a hds gen 2 touch. I get the invalid overlay after a period of time using the system. Seems to be an ongoing issue over the years. I’ve seen it blamed on many things including faulty point 1’s
Old 02 August 2018, 21:59   #7

Managed to sort the issue. The Point 1 I had was an Evinrude variant without compass or heading information. Replaced it with a Lowrance Point 1, calibrated it and. Radar Overlay now working beautifully!
Old 03 August 2018, 09:14   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMW View Post
Managed to sort the issue. The Point 1 I had was an Evinrude variant without compass or heading information. Replaced it with a Lowrance Point 1, calibrated it and. Radar Overlay now working beautifully!

There was a firmware update for the point 1 issued soon after it was launched. I wonder if you could flash the Evinrude variant with the proper point1 firmware? Worth a try.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote