Old 09 June 2018, 13:57   #1

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Mercury Rev counter problem

The revcounter has worked faultlessly, since fitted, until recently. It is connected, through wiring loom, to a Mariner 30 elpt outboard (2008, 4 stroke, 3 cylinder). Now, when engine fired up, the needle on the gauge swings right round, beyond 8k r.p.m limit, even at tick over. If engine is revved, the needle swings anti clockwise, back up the dial! The needle settles back in Normal "off" position when ignition is turned off.
I have checked all visible wiring and connections. All look sound. I have looked at blown up diagrammes to locate sender unit, but not sure where it is ( flywheel ?) any help to locate/ identify cause would be appreciated. The dealer I use for servicing etc is some distance away, and I am not in a position to take the boat to them.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:31   #2

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
I have now sorted the problem. If anyone has similar problem in future, I found some help on the Faria website- very useful, even though a different make. Removing the gauge, then rotating the setting dial for no.of cylinders/ alternator poles from correct setting, and back again reset the gauge. All now fine!