Old 31 October 2008, 10:19   #1
rup

Town: London
Boat name: Vanquish
Make: Cougar R8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225
Navman 8084

Does anyone know how easy it is to link in engine data to these units - I am thinking of ditching all my traditional dials (which are all Honda) - fuel , trim, speedo, tacho, battery, water temp etc... and running the data thru the electronic display

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
Old 14 January 2009, 09:50   #2

SmartCraft

Navman needs a SmartCraft interface which I understand is over a proprietary network & cable (not via NMEA) and only works with certain larger Mercury and Mariner engines.

They are great units, I have the slightly larger version, very easy to use and the "dials" work very well once you've hooked up via a SmartCraft engine.

Hope this helps.

crasha
Old 14 January 2009, 11:09   #3

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Wave Glider
Make: Cobra 7.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 300
I also have that unit and that is my understanding too, it will only work with Smartcraft (Mariner and Mercury)

On another note and sorry to highjack thread but think the question has been answered who can you buy the Navman Camera that can link into this unit or what lead would I need to hook up a mp4 player etc?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 14 January 2009, 11:50   #4

Camera

I looked into this and you dont need the "Navman" camera as such but you do need the correct connector (BNC i seem to remember) for the video feed and of course a power supply for the camera.

You can get reversing cameras which flip the image over to give a rear view mirror effect if the camera was pointing behind for towing.

There are many suppliers of cameras on ebay and the net which might suit but not tried any yet. Some are waterproof but most also have infra red illumination LEDs which are not really needed on a RIB unless you have some special forces night-time raid to do :-)

cheers
crasha
Old 14 January 2009, 12:57   #5

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Wave Glider
Make: Cobra 7.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 300
Really useful post thanks for that and on the last point about the special forces raid.... night time rib challenge around the solent could be fun, special forces vision goggles etc optional!!