Old 02 June 2012, 23:02   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
New dash layout

Any input would be appreciated (maybe there are things I'm not considering)

I have the aluminum sheet cut to size and have covered it in blue 3M masking tape. For whatever reason, I've taped the backside and layed everything out in the mirror of how it will attach to the console.

My throttle is on the right, I was planning the gauge cluster right center, the HDS-7 far left, and the stereo lower left. Along the bottom, I'll lay all of toggle switches/circuit breakers. There's currently an iPod dock there in the lower right but I'm not set on even having that. Also, I put anything "in" (12v Aux plugs/3.5 mm audio in) close to the top so that it's not a long cable run to whatever is sitting on top of the console

I'll probably redo this many times before I start cutting but I thought that I would ask. One suggestion so far was to put the HDS right in the center and build around that. I might consider that but I need to see if the steering wheel will cover any of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120602_154838.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	68770
Old 03 June 2012, 05:57   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If your throttle is to the left in the picture, won't the wheel obscure all the gauges in the center? Or is the wheel below your panel?

jky
Old 03 June 2012, 15:23   #3
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
If your throttle is to the left in the picture, won't the wheel obscure all the gauges in the center? Or is the wheel below your panel?

jky
Throttle is to right, standard US layout. I have everything in picture flipped because I was going to cut into it from the backside. So, HDS will be far left unobstructed, gages will be center right. The wheel will cover lower/middle/center a bit but sits almost 6 inches away from the dash.
Old 03 June 2012, 15:58   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
You might want to give some thought to upgrades in a few years time. They are usually larger (screens), so give your chartplotter as much room as you can afford

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2012, 16:21   #5
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
You might want to give some thought to upgrades in a few years time. They are usually larger (screens), so give your chartplotter as much room as you can afford
True! If I were to ever get a bigger chartplotter, I would have to move the AM/FM/iPod head unit someplace else and have the chartplotter fill the whole left side. Or, something else would need to happen if I were to go really big. The whole panel is 11 inches tall and of that I have just less than 9 to work with vertically. Bigger plotter and I'd be spending another $25 for a sheet of aluminum to make a whole new dash!