Click Here to Login

Old 24 January 2008, 21:59   #1
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Possible to splice Garmin transducer cable?

OK here's the situation. I currently have the following connected to a Garmin Fishfinder 240

1 x Garmin Transom mount transducer (Depth & Temp)
1 x Garmin speed wheel on the transom

I have just bought a Garmin IN HULL depth transducer because I was getting turbulance from the Duo-Props: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=680

Now, I'm pretty certain I can just un-plug the transom mount transducer and plug in the in-hull, no problem. However, I would love to keep the transom mount transducer as a temp probe (It'll be staying on the hull anyhow).

Here's the question, is the Garmin cabling of the transducers simply normal cables wrapped in the black shroud? Would it be possible to just splice the in-hull transducer cables into the transom mount transducer cables? ie. Have temp reading coming from transom mount transducer and have the depth coming from the in-hull transducer

Hope this makes sense. I don't mind losing the temp function but it would be great to keep it
Old 24 January 2008, 23:01   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Hi I had to replace the transom mount Depth Tranducer on my Garmin and could not be arsed to drag it through the underdeck trunking so I just cut and spliceed the wires using glue lined heatshrink and have had no problems
Old 25 January 2008, 00:57   #3
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
You really need to find pinout information for the transducers; I've had a quick google and can't find anything. You might need to contract Garmin or Airmar.

Without that its going to be hard to say whether its possible or not.

Edit: just found this - http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...ams/91_274.pdf

Do you have the model numbers of the transducers?
Old 25 January 2008, 10:59   #4
alt

DJL - Thanks for that link.

The model number for the new in-hull transducer is: 010-10224-00

The transom-mount transducer is just the standard one that came with the Fishfinder 240, depth & temp. It looks exactly like this one, except it also has the temp built in: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=537

If you click on the product here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=168&pID=109 and then click on "In the box" you will see it states "Transom mount transducer with temp"

.... I was just hoping that the colours on the wire would be the same. ie. I see a blue wire on the old transducer, see a blue wire on the new transducer, splice in!
Old 25 January 2008, 16:56   #5
DJL

You'll probably find that the new transducer cable won't have all the wires you need so you'll have to use the old transducers cable and connector.

That means you'll need to cut the blue and black wires on the old cable and join them to the blue and black wires on the new transducer. i.e the new transducer is wired to the old transducers plug.

You'll also need to connect the shielding on both cables together.

I'd use solder rather than crimp connectors as you'll want a good low resistance joint.

Thats assuming the cables have the same coloured wires - do you actually have the new transducer? What make is it? I'm not sure if new 'Garmin' ones are made by Garmin, they used to supply Airmar transducers.

Note: I won't be buying you a new transducer if it doesn't work!
Old 25 January 2008, 18:41   #6
alt

DJL - Won't have it until next week, eBay ad says it's a Genuine garmin one, the picture shows that there is a connector on it.

Either way when I get it i'll be cutting open the shroud. Then i'll cut open the shroud on the new transducer. Fingers crossed the colours will be the same, if not i'll have to do some investigating.

I'll solder and heat shrink the connections

I'll report back here next week and let you know how I got on
Old 25 January 2008, 21:20   #7
alt

While we're on the topic, how much 'hull' can these Garmin in-hull transducers penetrate through? Just asking because it would be a lot easier to mount the transducer on the 'flat' part of my engine bay where the engine mounts are, instead of installing it on the V portion and having to level it out. Would appreciate any advise/comments

The hull is just a normal GRP/Fibreglass/Timber hull
Old 25 January 2008, 22:47   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Well mines mounted on the side of the V right down by the keel, it's in the area where the fibreglass overlaps when laminating. I've not drilled a hole through at that point but I have done further forward and the hull is 26mm thick, so I think you'll be ok.
Old 25 January 2008, 23:35   #9
DJL

I would avoid wood - which I suspect is what the engine mounts are sitting on. Thick GRP should be ok.

Just to clarify -
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
the picture shows that there is a connector on it.
The new transducer will have a connector on it - however looking at the wiring diagrams the cables only have the required wires. So as the new one doesn't have a temp sensor, the temp wires won't be there - which means you will have to splice the new transducer to the old cable and use the old cables connector.
Old 26 January 2008, 09:30   #10
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
Just to clarify -

The new transducer will have a connector on it - however looking at the wiring diagrams the cables only have the required wires. So as the new one doesn't have a temp sensor, the temp wires won't be there - which means you will have to splice the new transducer to the old cable and use the old cables connector.
DJL - Yeah this was my understanding. The old connector will be staying in tact, and i'll just splice in wire X & Y into the old cable, then cut the X Y wires from the old transducers.

First of all though, i'm going to actually connect the new transducer via connector to the fish finder to make sure that my 'in-hull- silicone dopple works

Also, installing on the engine mounts i've decided would be silly. Too much wood to penetrate through. My plan is to silicone it to the hull and test it otu, if that works i'll put some epoxy around it to secure
Old 28 January 2008, 10:57   #11
alt

I had a look at the transom mount transducer yesterday. No wonder it didn't work at speed, the thing was almost level with the keel. I was able to lower it about 3mm, so i'm going to put it in the water asap and test it out (Currently having teh cabin re-fitted with nice new upholstery so it's not going anywhere in a rush)

I've the in-hull bought anyhow (its in the post) so I might just install it either way