Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
PTT Needle Flickering and broken plastic stopper

After a brillaint day out on the ribs today we were coming back from the forts when the PTT needle in the guage started to flicker like mad.

I stopped and cut the engine, tilted it up to check all was ok and everything seemed fine.

Put the engine back down, started her up and off we went. But the flickering stayed.

I'm thinking this could be a simple electrical contact but i'm not sure, anyone got any ideas on what it could be and what to do.

To clarify, the PTT works perfectly, its the guage thats playing up by flickering like mad. Even when i just use my hand on the tilt sensor when the boat was on the trailer it still flickered like mad. Of course i may have had a bit of hard slam when it first started to happen.

I've also just noticed that the sensor arm has a small piece of plastic (very very tiny) that stops the sensor from raising all the way up when the engine goes to full tilt. This bit of plastic has broken and needs replacing. If you listen carefully on the video you'll hear a click, this is the sensor jumping off allignment with the engine where it raises too high up due to bit of plastic (stopper) being broken. This will hopefully be an easy fix and now i come to think of it, its clicked for a while but never noticed it, but this isnt causing the flickering. But does raise another question of how do i reset the tilt guage to where it should be when i replace the plastic stopper as if i hold the sensor arm in place where it should stop, the guage / needle stops at the hald way point?

Here is a handy video of what its doing (flickering). And yes i now know to hold the phone the other way, DOH.

heres another one to show the stopper issue. Its the smallest bit of plastic at the end of that finger.

At least the camera is now the right way.
Old 25 September 2011, 18:33   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
The sensor is simply a potentiometer with a spring-loaded arm. The needle jumping would point to a flaky connection or a the pot is no longer giving a constant resistance.

Should be able to put an ohmmeter on the pins of the sensor and operate the T/T and see if the reading varies smoothly or jumps. Ideally, you'd take readings at both ends of the wiring harness, but that may not be possible. The way the needle is jumping makes me think it's the sensor itself, but I could quite easily be wrong.

Note: If you can figure out which pin is the variable signal (the wiper of the pot rather than the 12V or Gnd), you could read voltage at the gauge as well, but it's usually kind of hard to break into the wiring.

jky
Old 25 September 2011, 18:43   #3

Thanks jky, i shall grab an ahmmeter tommorrow from a friend and see what i'm getting, providing i can get to the contacts. from memory i can get to all four connections on the back of the actual guage, two are push fit connections and two are screw type, (i think) so i might be able to read from there.

I was hoping it wouldnt be the sensor as they are £81 without postage, doh.
Old 25 September 2011, 20:07   #4

Hmmm, i have been playing around the garage with this and the flickering seems to have gone, maybe water in a connection? or all my jiggling with it has moved a loose wire in the sensor?

If that does it for now then i'm just left with fixing the plastic stopper thats now completly come off, whats a really strong tough bonding glue that will put it back on?
Old 25 September 2011, 21:45   #5

STARTED TO FLICKER AGAIN, BACK TO FIRST POST.

I'm giving up for tonight now.
Old 19 October 2011, 11:13   #6

Well the one person who replied had it right. One new sensor later and its working like a dream. thankyou. Although it was 90 quid. Doh

Sent from my galaxy s2