Old 10 May 2018, 21:34   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Raymarine E120 Repair

bleh, 20 hours in the boat this year in one week and the raymarine E120 plotter has packed in.

seems the ok button is not OK

this makes it nearly useless as I cant get by the "navigational warning" page that requires ok to continue

Will be phoning raymarine in the morning, anybody got past experience?

fast, slow, expensive, reasonable etc etc
Old 10 May 2018, 21:45   #2
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
I had some dealings with Raymarine for repairs back in the late Noughties - they were fine to deal with - very communicative but ultimately it wasn't cheap. They did do re-con kit back then - so maybe worth asking.

Personally I'd be considering a new unit - things have moved on since - but obviously you'll want to avoid a cascade of upgrades.

Any use as a workaround while you decide?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raymarine...sAAOSwQS1aQj8R
Old 10 May 2018, 22:23   #3

RIBase
nice idea willk and something I will consider if they say £300 upwards

unfortunately there is a huge E120 sized hole in the dash of the boat now and anything else will not look right.

I adore this plotter compared to the newer ones. To me its hard to see past my fathers trusty combo of the Navcentre and AP navigator but I am old fashioned for my age

this is the west coast of Scotland, the rocks don't move but I will be unhappy looking at an 18" hole in the dash all summer.
Old 10 May 2018, 23:05   #4

RIBase
Thank you Willk! You were the catalyst for some late night Raymarine repairs on the kitchen table!

I decided what the heck, I aint paying somebody to tell me the switch is broken so I tore in at 23:15

I think being a 2005 or 2006 its well out of warranty

within 3 mins problem found, and also why the acknowledge soft key has been playing up for some time

£147 on ebay and I think I have hopefully fixed it. Should take a couple of weeks from the states but if this works I will have the smuggest face in the marina!
Old 11 May 2018, 08:31   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Excellent, always bestwhen you can fix it yourself - well done!

I've used the Raymarine service centre at Portsmouth a few times for bits on the sailing yacht, and they've always been very helpful on the phone, and fixed things in reasonable time for a reasonable price. They replaced some of the boards in my ST60+ multi instrument last year or the year before, which at the time cost less than getting a replacement new unit off eBay.

If you do have any issues, I'd certainly give the technical guys a call, and they are usually very good with advising what the problem might be, and whether they likely have suitable parts available or not.
Old 11 May 2018, 17:46   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Thank you Willk! You were the catalyst for some late night Raymarine repairs on the kitchen table!

I decided what the heck, I aint paying somebody to tell me the switch is broken so I tore in at 23:15

I think being a 2005 or 2006 its well out of warranty

within 3 mins problem found, and also why the acknowledge soft key has been playing up for some time

£147 on ebay and I think I have hopefully fixed it. Should take a couple of weeks from the states but if this works I will have the smuggest face in the marina!
You can repair that, easy peasy. Use a scraper of some sort, I use a modelling knife, gently take back the green lacquer where the track is good or use the gold plated pads at the through holes at the track ends. Tin the track or pad with solder and simply solder in a light cable from point to point to replace the damaged track. A good source of fine cable is in multicore leads, a wi-fi network cable or telephone cable stripped out works fine.

The tracks appear worn through, gently scrape away whatever is putting pressure on the board far enough to relieve the rubbing and the plastic on your new cables will protect them for the future.

You'll feel even more smug if you properly diy it!

Tags
repair