Old 05 December 2010, 14:12   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
2WD Lo Ratio Mod for Navara

Having a discussion on nissan-navara.net about whether it is possible to modify the Navara to get low ratio in 2WD. Be nice to get lo ratio without the problems of part-time 4WD windup when doing tight manouvers.

http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtop...130560#p130560

Apparently a place in Switzerland does a mod:

http://www.mueller-obfelden.ch/Drupa...inbauflyer.pdf

Bit far for me to drive though!
Old 05 December 2010, 17:59   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Just buy a Land Rover

I have the same problem with the Ranger - sometimes it would be nice to have a 4-lo mode. I think I could probably fiddle the free wheeling hub controller to do it but for the amount I need it I can't be bothered.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2010, 19:41   #3

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Correct me if im wrong but isnt the reason for a lot of 4x4's only allowing low-ratio when in four wheel drive mode is to avoid the rear wheels spinning under the increased torque.
It much easier/efficient to get the increased 'pull' down to the ground through 4 wheels rather than two.

Certainly from my experiene of having to pull heavy loads (sometimes upto 4000kgs ) up our entrance way, two wheel drive would be useless.

I am unfamiliar with the Navarro but do you mean that the differential must be/or is automaticlly 'locked' before you go into 4-low, thus causing the potential 'windup' problems?...if that is the case then in certain situations i could see the benefit of the modification however doesnt it stil boil down to 'getting the power down' without slippage?

Simon
Old 06 December 2010, 06:06   #4

Been thinking about a Defender for a while (learnt to drive in one when I was 12 in Shetland (baa)).

Financial advisor turned up at the house in a brand new one that had been full specced up for safari work that he got off ebay (snorkel, lights, cameras etc.). Took the keys off him and jumped in but was shocked at how little space there was in the front (seemed a lot bigger when I was 12 somehow.....) and how much nicer the Navara was.

Disco could be an option but I really like the pickup and being able to put soaking wet things in the back and hosing it out afterwards.

Anyway the main problem is that these jap 4x4s have a quite high first gear and this means you have to slip the clutch a lot in high ratio when pulling away with a 2t RIB (there was also a load of dual mass clutch failures with cars of the same vintage as mine). I have a long steep climb up from the beach over stupidly placed speed bumps and need to stay in low ratio if I want a clutch at the top. However vehicles like these don't have a centre diff so they don't like to be turned on dry hard surfaces (absolutely fanatastic in the snow though). I have no issues with grip in 2WD - 2 tonne pickup plus 80kg or so on the ball acting on the rear drive wheels.

The slip at Rosehearty is also very steep and has a difficult turn around the bus-shelter at the top. Its good to be in low ratio with the feet of the pedals.

Richard
Old 06 December 2010, 08:03   #5

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i didn't know if i should post here or not but here goes, what would you use 2wd lo for?, you can't go anywhere fast in lo and once you have something moving just go back to hi.
the problem i had with my rangey was they had no limited or locked axle diff's, if you got one wheel spinning on each axle you were stuck, i don't know if the newer ones are any better.
my navara has rear limited slip diff and auto lock front hubs and apart from being a bit light in the arse it hasn't let me down when i needed it.
if you want a good tow motor, the nissan 4.2 GR without the turbo was a lovely beast
Old 06 December 2010, 09:09   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
the problem i had with my rangey was they had no limited or locked axle diff's, if you got one wheel spinning on each axle you were stuck, i don't know if the newer ones are any better.
Anything with electronic traction control will overcome this which means any current or recent Discovery or Freelander and quite a few Defenders (though not all - I wouldn't have it if it was free...)

2WD low would just be useful to overcome tyre scrub and transmission windup during low speed tight turns. My Ranger has bugger all grip on the rear wheels when empty anyway so would never tow much in 2WD but sometimes it would be handy.

I use low range on the Defender all the time, both for launch and recovery and for reversing the boat in around a very tight approach in around the side of the garage. I could do the second one with the Ranger but would be better in 2WD if it was available.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2010, 10:27   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Teraflex do a 2WD Low kit for Jeeps, but I haven't come across any others
Old 06 December 2010, 11:05   #8

Problem is you have to stop to get out of 4Lo into 4Hi. Often you have to reverse a bit. Can take a few minutes - seems worse with the load on the back. Possibly affected by a bit of wind up.

On my old isuzu with manual select you could do it on the run if the clutch was in. The electronic system on the Nav monitors the wheel speed etc. before activating the transfer control.

Richard
Old 06 December 2010, 15:34   #9

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
my navara isn't electronic, and has a limited slip rear diff, i can see your point about scuff but with mine it does the front tyres, the diff on the back locks in automatically once i loose traction one one of the rear wheel, then it only want's to go fwd in a straight line, i have a tractor for moving it around at home but i don't use four wheel drive if i can help it for manuvering it anywhere else
Old 06 December 2010, 18:02   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i didn't know if i should post here or not but here goes, what would you use 2wd lo for?,
I've got freewheeling hubs and a locked centre diff, so I have a usable 2wd low range. It's actually very useful during awkward reversing with a trailer.When reversing down long slipways as I don't need to use brakes at all 'til I stop.
Naughtily, I can start the engine in gear with the clutch engaged so it just chugs up the slip on it's own. No clutch wear and no wheelspin at all.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote