Old 05 June 2024, 22:03   #21

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Is that' why the wet belt fails?

Nice looking van, what's the plan, a day van, cooker , fridge?
Mine has not got a Wet Belt.

Plan is as a vehicle to slot in between our Motor Home and Landrover Discovery as a vehicle that can carry a lot and also tow a decent load. We will do a modest conversion but that will be very basic.

To be honest I have always wanted one and wanted a new Project
Old 06 June 2024, 05:47   #22

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Is that' why the wet belt fails?

Nice looking van, what's the plan, a day van, cooker , fridge?
no the 2.2 has no wet belt .ford used a vane type oil pump in a bid to reduce mpg the theory was it took less of the engines power to drive it than a geared pump a geared pump puts constant load on the engine but the vane pump the load varies with rpm .anyway the vanes wear and start to move about in the slots until one of the slots breaks jams the pump and zero oil pressure is fatal. fords answer officially for the transit its best seller was an up rated pump then inspection and change as required .the other vehicles that they sold with this fault the ranger ect they wouldn't admit it was an issue .it is if you own one that goes bang . interestingly fiat and Peugeot also use a variant on this engine that uses a geared oil pump they have zero issues in this area and there is a healthy trade in garages changing the fords vane pump to the Peugeot geared pump
Old 06 June 2024, 07:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
no the 2.2 has no wet belt .ford used a vane type oil pump in a bid to reduce mpg the theory was it took less of the engines power to drive it than a geared pump a geared pump puts constant load on the engine but the vane pump the load varies with rpm .anyway the vanes wear and start to move about in the slots until one of the slots breaks jams the pump and zero oil pressure is fatal. fords answer officially for the transit its best seller was an up rated pump then inspection and change as required .the other vehicles that they sold with this fault the ranger ect they wouldn't admit it was an issue .it is if you own one that goes bang . interestingly fiat and Peugeot also use a variant on this engine that uses a geared oil pump they have zero issues in this area and there is a healthy trade in garages changing the fords vane pump to the Peugeot geared pump
Many thanks I will certainly look into that info. We are picking the van up in an Hour
Old 06 June 2024, 08:52   #24

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Thats interesting ,a friend of mine had 3 engines in a ranger owned from new in 6 years ! i just thought he was a bit slow !
was that a mazda tie up !
Old 06 June 2024, 11:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Thats interesting ,a friend of mine had 3 engines in a ranger owned from new in 6 years ! i just thought he was a bit slow !
was that a mazda tie up !
the mazda tie up was the rangers up to 2005 had mazda engines then 2005 - 2011 had ford 2.5 duratorque engines both mazda b2500 and ford ranger up to 2011 were badge engineered ie same vehicle different badges 2012 on were pure ford well not exactly the 2.2 engine is a psa unit made in collaboration with peugeot and citreon and used in everything from fiat ducatos to citreon relay peugeot partner even landrover defender puma
Old 06 June 2024, 15:40   #26

Picked the van up. Very pleased indeed

Old 06 June 2024, 18:02   #27

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
That does look like a very nice clean van for the age, compared to some I've looked at!
Even more recent models are often abused, rusty, and rough looking cosmetically.
Old 06 June 2024, 18:25   #28

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
the mazda tie up was the rangers up to 2005 had mazda engines then 2005 - 2011 had ford 2.5 duratorque engines both mazda b2500 and ford ranger up to 2011 were badge engineered ie same vehicle different badges 2012 on were pure ford well not exactly the 2.2 engine is a psa unit made in collaboration with peugeot and citreon and used in everything from fiat ducatos to citreon relay peugeot partner even landrover defender puma
Hi beerbelly, are Ford still using the same vane oil pump in the Ranger or have they changed it? If so when?
Old 06 June 2024, 19:43   #29

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
I know not not directly boat related, but an interesting read all the same.

Looking at getting a couple of years old medium to long wheelbase van as my only “car” with similar ideas as dennis in using it as a basic camper, but also my daily drive.
But I have noticed many relatively new, average miles motors advertised with new engines, gearboxes etc
Which is quite worrying with the kind of money we would be spending, and because we are tied to automatic, even more so.

Any knowledge and opinions is always helpful
Old 06 June 2024, 20:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
I know not not directly boat related, but an interesting read all the same.

Looking at getting a couple of years old medium to long wheelbase van as my only “car” with similar ideas as dennis in using it as a basic camper, but also my daily drive.
But I have noticed many relatively new, average miles motors advertised with new engines, gearboxes etc
Which is quite worrying with the kind of money we would be spending, and because we are tied to automatic, even more so.

Any knowledge and opinions is always helpful
If you need to tow boats an Automatic Van very often has a limited weight that it can tow so keep an eye on this one.

I think many of the new engine vans might have been ones with the wet belt that caused the engine to fail and need replacing. But I am not sure others will I am sure know better on this one
Old 07 June 2024, 05:59   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi beerbelly, are Ford still using the same vane oil pump in the Ranger or have they changed it? If so when?
im not sure on the brand new shape thats just come out but if you google it theirs plenty online and a facebook group set up to recommend garages allover the country who carry out the conversion to geared pump
Old 09 June 2024, 10:47   #32

Got the Bulkhead out. That has made a huge difference. I can now get the seat back further and more tilt. Much lighter in the back also.

Gonna keep it if I ever want to put it back in

Old 12 July 2024, 06:41   #33

Been doing a bit of work on the Ford Transit Custom. Fitted some side steps and wind deflectors

Old 12 July 2024, 06:42   #34

And a nice little reversing camera that goes in the number plate light location so very discrete

Old 12 July 2024, 09:47   #35

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
And a nice little reversing camera that goes in the number plate light location so very discrete
Well done. If it were me, I'd maybe look at swapping the head unit so you can have all the functions in the one place, but I'm obsessive about keeping the factory look.

I dunno if you saw them, but there's a centre brake light version of that camera that gives a great view, especially when using a trailer.
Old 12 July 2024, 09:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Well done. If it were me, I'd maybe look at swapping the head unit so you can have all the functions in the one place, but I'm obsessive about keeping the factory look.

I dunno if you saw them, but there's a centre brake light version of that camera that gives a great view, especially when using a trailer.
I did indeed so those ones which fit high up. Might be something I will get. I have a camera that will fit the Car Play head unit on its way so might also fit that. In a van with no rear view mirror I like to have the 'reversing' camera permanently on.

I am rather different on the neatness front. I actually don't mind wires and after market kit. I actually quite like it and also it is easily removable should you need to. I hate pulling dash boards apart to make things neat. Different people different sized frogs

I just fitted 4 of these car play units in 4 of our vehicles. They are very good. I have used different sizes to suit the vehicles
Old 12 July 2024, 09:58   #37

I am certain these could have interesting boating applications in the right boat
Old 12 July 2024, 13:49   #38

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I did indeed so those ones which fit high up. Might be something I will get. I have a camera that will fit the Car Play head unit on its way so might also fit that. In a van with no rear view mirror I like to have the 'reversing' camera permanently on.

I am rather different on the neatness front. I actually don't mind wires and after market kit. I actually quite like it and also it is easily removable should you need to. I hate pulling dash boards apart to make things neat. Different people different sized frogs

I just fitted 4 of these car play units in 4 of our vehicles. They are very good. I have used different sizes to suit the vehicles
Same. Even in a car I've found the camera an essential piece of kit these days. I run my van camera off the reverse lights so it comes up on the head unit when I select reverse, but also have a switched live to it so I can toggle the rear view while driving (use a diode to prevent powering up the reverse lights).

The Joying android head units are a fantastic upgrade for the Transit, if you ever fancy more features. You can have multiple camera displays at once, you can stream NetFlix/Prime etc and output to HDMI in the back if you wanted. Also does wireless Android Auto and CarePlay too.
Old 13 July 2024, 05:23   #39

This will be a very simple van conversion but we will from time to time need site hook up mains electric. I have therefore fitted a very simple hook up system. You need to think of this as an extension lead where all protection will be at the appliance or the hook up post on the camp site. Here is a little video of how I did it

Old 13 July 2024, 12:27   #40

I also this morning fitted a 12 v socket to the back of the van so that I can easily pump up sibs, canoes and Paddle boards etc. There is supposed to be a 'Secret' plug in the loom for this but search as I might I could not find it. I therefore wired it back to the Battery. In the past I would happily cut into the cars loom but cars are somewhat more complicated now so I wired it back to the battery

« Anyone for a BEVvy? | Top | - »