Old 27 May 2012, 08:07   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Advice on Buying a 5m Rib

I am going to buy a 4.8m to 5.2m RIB with a 60 - 90 HP engine. I want a sports boat rather than a dive boat and have been looking at boats that are 2 to 5 years old. I have spent a lot of time looking at the ads and I have a short list. I have some question and I would be really grateful for any views and comments. Knowing me I am likely to want to upgrade or have a change in a couple of years, so having something that will sell/part ex easily seems a sensible idea:

1. Does it make sense to buy a boat from one of the big manufacturers like Zodiac/Avon. Are these more desirable and saleable.

2. I have looked at Atomix which is RIB from New Zealand, made in China. It looks very nice but I am wary of buying an unknown make. Is this really a risk or am I being being over cautious. I feel it would be worth less than a well known boat?

3. I have also looked at a Mako 5.2 which from the website looks to be more of a commercial/military manufacturer. However the RIBs look really good quality made from Hypalon. Any views on Mako?

4. Should I bother what its made from. Is there a premium for a Hypalon RIB. I read the PVC has improved and I get the sense that there is not much between the 2 fabrics. The main issue seems to be that PVC may fade and become brittle. I don't plan to leave the RIB uncovered.

5. I have looked at a RIB that has no trailer. I am a bit nervous about buying the 2 separately. What should I look for in a trailer and where should I go. I can see new trailers for sale from £800 to £1100. Is it easy to make mistakes. What is the risk of a cheaper trailer letting me down? Any recommendations?

6. If anyone who knows of a good 5m RIB that fits the criteria, I would be very please to look at it. I think I might put an ad in RIBs wanted?

Regards

Derek
Old 27 May 2012, 08:22   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Welcome to the boards, My 2pence worth for you - others may have different views, and neither may be right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
1. Does it make sense to buy a boat from one of the big manufacturers like Zodiac/Avon. Are these more desirable and saleable.
They do hold their cash better however they cost more in the first instance -some of the lessor known makes will offer you more for your cash as they have to up spec the package to sell in the first instance.

Quote:
2. I have looked at Atomix which is RIB from New Zealand, made in China. It looks very nice but I am wary of buying an unknown make. Is this really a risk or am I being being over cautious. I feel it would be worth less than a well known boat?
If it looks like it'll do what you want so be it. I've always been an Avon 4.7 fan but have a Rimini 4.5 at present as it was available at the price and would do what I wanted (just). Most boats around now are good enough - the makers haven't survived if they were bad.

Quote:
3. I have also looked at a Mako 5.2 which from the website looks to be more of a commercial/military manufacturer. However the RIBs look really good quality made from Hypalon. Any views on Mako?
No idea but see 2 above.

Quote:
4. Should I bother what its made from. Is there a premium for a Hypalon RIB. I read the PVC has improved and I get the sense that there is not much between the 2 fabrics. The main issue seems to be that PVC may fade and become brittle. I don't plan to leave the RIB uncovered.
As you're not talking 20 years sat on a mooring I don't see it makes any odds - others might.

Quote:
5. I have looked at a RIB that has no trailer. I am a bit nervous about buying the 2 separately. What should I look for in a trailer and where should I go. I can see new trailers for sale from £800 to £1100. Is it easy to make mistakes. What is the risk of a cheaper trailer letting me down? Any recommendations?
No need to buy as a package if you can source one - I'd stay away form the Fred Bloggs down the road home made. A good well known make will be fine. As with any 2nd had one - you takes the risk that the wheels fall off two miles down the road.

Quote:
6. If anyone who knows of a good 5m RIB that fits the criteria, I would be very please to look at it. I think I might put an ad in RIBs wanted?
Speak to Pete - on here as Boats and Outboards , if he doesn't, he soon will

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 08:43   #3

Town: Plymouth
Cheers ANDY

As it happens I have a Zodiac 500 PRO II (5m) with a Mercury 75hp 2 stroke & snipe trailer available shortly. It's a 2001 package. Its come in with worn lower engine mounts (due to skiing not excessive use).

Original gel hull, no patches or loss of air. Stainless A frame, console seating with rear bench, bow locker. Twin fuel tank, storage cover. It's all there. Break-back snipe roller trailer with new bearings. Just towed 250 miles no trouble.

Engine starts easy, pumps water and engages gears fine. Not been used in anger for 18mths so needs a good service and the mounts replaced (top ones are perfect). When I get chance to book it in!

Price to be around £5,250 all ready to go, or open to a relatively "silly offer" as it stands. I might put it up on here later today with pictures, see if anybody wants to take on a mini-project whilst it's sat waiting.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 27 May 2012, 09:43   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

First things first. What's the intended use of the boat - purely leisure trips up the coast on a calm day, or are you looking for something with a relatively deep v hull that will handle the rough stuff?

Think about seating. Leisure seating such as bench seats and console seats are fine for calm seas with the family, but as soon as the wind gets up, in-line jockey seats with wrap-round backrests and grab handles would be the way to go.

5m ribs are a good size, small enough to fit in most 18' garages, and easy enough to launch and recover single handedly. Always more fun with more people - but you get the point.

Then there's budget. You can easily spend £15-£20k for something new with a modern 4-stroke engine, A-frame, chart-plotter, VHF, etc, or look at something second-hand?

Back to your questions.

1 Buy from big manufacturers?
There are added advantages, in that there's a decent dealer network and after sales service. Yes Zodiac or Avon would be desirable, however it depends on the specific model of boat, condition and engine combination.

2 Buy a rib from China or lesser known make?
Definitely taking a gamble. Look at what's on the market here. A dealer will struggle to resell it if there's nothing to compare it against. These ribs are fine if there's demand for them otherwise you're going to take a bigger financial hit at p/x.

3 Any views on Mako ribs?
No idea, never heard of them. Regards Mil/Pro division, the Avon and Zodiac (same company now) are world leaders in these types of hypalon boats, but expect to pay top dollar, and not worth it if you're planning to sell in a couple of years.

4 Should I bother what it's made from?
Yes and no. Zodiac leisure ribs are made from Strongan Duotex (PVC). Finish is immaculate, as they're produced in a part automated factory using heat-welding techniques, glued transoms, etc. Fine for everyday leisure use, but will degrade over time. Hypalon on the other hand is stronger and you can expect at least 15-20 years use before thinking about retubing. It's a manual operation to build and glue. Incidentally Zodiac are now producing some of their Pro range in hypalon.

5 Buying trailer separately?
You get what you pay for in my book. A 5m rib will easily sit on a unbraked 750kg roller trailer. Top manufacturers include Indespension, De Graff, Rapide, etc. All need to be set up properly so the boat sits well. Annual maintenance should include bearings, periodic maintenance or prior to towing - grease tow hitch, check tyre condition and pressure, etc.

6 Anyone know of a good 5m rib that fits the criteria?
The $66m dollar question. Everyone has their own preference, myself included. Here are a couple, although I'm not rating them in any particular order.

Zodiac 12 man Pro
Second hand Zodiac boats - Western Marine

Ribcraft 4.8m
Ribcraft - FAFB
Old 28 May 2012, 19:43   #5

Thanks very much all 3 of you. Your responses have helped me to focus on what is really important. As a matter of interest I have seen some 2005/6 posts on this site about Mako and they were pretty negative in terms of quality.

Regards

Derek

PS Great website! I am not quite sure how I managed to post my question on the trailer section, I guess that's part of the learning curve.
Old 28 May 2012, 22:46   #6
DGS

Town: Southampton
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Hi Derek, I have a Ribcraft 4.8m with a Suzuki 60 4 stroke that I'm about to put up for sale. It's 2005 but it is really is in immaculate condition & has only done 110 hours with full dealer service history. PM if you'd like discuss & see photos etc. Good luck with your search!
Old 02 June 2012, 20:23   #7

Town: ILKLEY & SALCOMBE
Boat name: Scooby
Make: BRIG EAGLE 645
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 175HP
Brig are excellent ribs try Paul at www.buyarib.com
Old 02 June 2012, 21:33   #8

Many thanks, I have seen quite a few and did wonder.

Derek