Old 10 March 2024, 18:09   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
It is flushed within 2 mins of coming out of the water - I have a container of water and a pump in the car, especially for this.
Previously shoes would be good for 6-7 years then need changing due to friction lining wearing down.
On this trailer, they keep failing early life and linings coming off.
Its kinda weird your having this issue, I agree there not good but usually get more than a year before the water gets under the lining & busts them off. On the other hand your looking at roughly £100 for shoes for both axles its not a huge cost in the grand scheme of running a boat & an annual service should realy be part of general maintenance you can almost consider the shoes as consumables. For comparison vancleas pads are £200+ per axle maybe not need replaced as often but at £400 + per go do they run that much cheaper?
Old 10 March 2024, 18:09   #22

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my de graaf trailer has alko brakes and is a 2015 and iv just changed the shoes for the first time so thats 9 years one shoe had delaminated but they were down to just over a mm and were due replacement . and theres not a massive amount of rust in there .i strip and wire brush back plate and shoes and linkages every year and paint all rusting surfaces with jenolite rust remover then rebuild with a light coating of grease on all the jenolited areas .iv never had any issues using grease and its never found its way onto the friction surfaces but i dont use a lot just a wipe over with a greasy rag .i also flush with fresh water whenever i use it in sea water. theres a very good video online for changing the shoes having stripped and rebuilt each year i stripped and fitted new shoes and new cables and new bearings in under 2 hours including having a cuppa
Old 10 March 2024, 18:34   #23

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
The is a range of Stainless trailers that are just that but I feel they are well over priced.

https://vanclaes.com/en/standard-boa...ers/c-384.html
Too expensive for me.
It just needs standard galvanised section chassis, they last well enough ..... the issue is the brakes ... cast iron drum brakes are not fit for purpose on a trailer that gets immersed in salt water.

Stainless steel disc brakes would make a huge difference.
On other big change, I saw details of was on twin axle trailers, have an axle that allows self-steering of wheels, was put forward for caravans as heavy twin axle trailers are a pain to steer in reverse as the rear wheel crab over.
Old 11 March 2024, 19:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
my de graaf trailer has alko brakes and is a 2015 and iv just changed the shoes for the first time so thats 9 years one shoe had delaminated but they were down to just over a mm and were due replacement . and theres not a massive amount of rust in there .i strip and wire brush back plate and shoes and linkages every year and paint all rusting surfaces with jenolite rust remover then rebuild with a light coating of grease on all the jenolited areas .iv never had any issues using grease and its never found its way onto the friction surfaces but i dont use a lot just a wipe over with a greasy rag .i also flush with fresh water whenever i use it in sea water. theres a very good video online for changing the shoes having stripped and rebuilt each year i stripped and fitted new shoes and new cables and new bearings in under 2 hours including having a cuppa
This is more like typical use, i just serviced a 2017 trailer & fitted its first set of replacement shoes as you say its not a big job nor realy expensive, just part of boat ownership
Old 11 March 2024, 20:27   #25

Let me explain …
On new trailer (and when I change shoes) I fully degrease and paint back plate & shoes (not friction linings) with marine 2-part epoxy paint.
All part assembled with waterproof grease, then whole lot (excluding friction linings). Get a spray coat of Lanoguard.
On every launch & recovery hubs are flushed within 2 mins of coming out of the water.
On previous boats shoes have easily lasted 6 years, only changed due to wear.
However on this SBS trailer the linings are delaminating every year.
Only 7 launches last year … still failed.
Over winter trailer is on axle stands, wheels free to spin, so no stuck on brakes.

I tried After market shoes from Taunton Towing as they confirmed been issues with AlKo shoes .. but they still failed.

5 years+ is totally acceptable, but failing each year isn’t.
Old 11 March 2024, 20:51   #26

Quote:
Let me explain …
On new trailer (and when I change shoes) I fully degrease and paint back plate & shoes (not friction linings) with marine 2-part epoxy paint.
All part assembled with waterproof grease, then whole lot (excluding friction linings). Get a spray coat of Lanoguard.
On every launch & recovery hubs are flushed within 2 mins of coming out of the water.
On previous boats shoes have easily lasted 6 years, only changed due to wear.
However on this SBS trailer the linings are delaminating every year.
Only 7 launches last year … still failed.
Over winter trailer is on axle stands, wheels free to spin, so no stuck on brakes.

I tried After market shoes from Taunton Towing as they confirmed been issues with AlKo shoes .. but they still failed.

5 years+ is totally acceptable, but failing each year isn’t.
I dont think anyone disagrees with you that12 months is pretty crap but its not realy typical, the linings shouldnt delaminate that quick. Makes you think something else is going on, if you'd said 2x the same brand failed you'd susspect faulty parts but different brands seems unlikely
Is it a short ride home & the hubs could still be full of water? Usually the ride home brakeing drys them out but if its not far perhaps there sitting soaking wet. I never flush mine & the one I just serviced never gets flushed either & it sits on a dry berth so does 200 yards launches then back in its spot, probably the worst way to use a trailer. Your experience is odd & I can't think of a reason for it
Old 11 March 2024, 21:35   #27

It’s about 6 mile home, so would be fully dry.
Previous 3 boats never had the failures.
I just think quality of manufacture has dropped. If lining is well adhered, it should prevent water ingress.
The linings have simply lifted off with no damage … so cannot be manufactured to suit.

Maybe they have pushed manufacture from Germany to China and quality is now rubbish.
Old 12 March 2024, 06:44   #28

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
It’s about 6 mile home, so would be fully dry.
Previous 3 boats never had the failures.
I just think quality of manufacture has dropped. If lining is well adhered, it should prevent water ingress.
The linings have simply lifted off with no damage … so cannot be manufactured to suit.

Maybe they have pushed manufacture from Germany to China and quality is now rubbish.
lets hope not i should be able to tell you within the next 12 months