Click Here to Login

Old 27 December 2023, 20:51   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: AVON
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke
Help... moving a large heavy RIB!

Hi All,

My project manager at the day job has acquired a large RIB to act as a support boat for our project. It's 8.8m long and weighs approx 2.9ton. I have been tasked to "go find a suitable trailer".

Am I right in thinking that there is no way this can be towed by a Category B car in the UK? All trailers which can handle the weight (of which there seem to be few) must weigh more than 600kg surely?

And if so... does this mean we're going to need to use a category C1 vehicle to tow it... or put it on a lorry.

TIA
Old 27 December 2023, 21:21   #2

Length: 3m +
Displacement of 2.9T is irrelevant. That tells you what it's might weigh of you fill it full of water. It's the weight of water the hull displaces.

The hull by nature has to weigh less than it displaces or it will sink. But I can't tell you if it weights 290kg or 1450kg or anything...

But I suspect you will still be pushing the limits of towability on B+E.

The engine will be a significant factor...
Old 27 December 2023, 21:49   #3

Town: Cambridge
Make: AVON
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke
@ShinyShoe Apologies, I meant it has a weight of 2.9T, worded it wrong... Will edit post!

It has 2x 200hp Mercury Verados.

Thanks
Old 27 December 2023, 22:20   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandAlex View Post
Hi All,

My project manager at the day job has acquired a large RIB to act as a support boat for our project. It's 8.8m long and weighs approx 2.9ton. I have been tasked to "go find a suitable trailer".

Am I right in thinking that there is no way this can be towed by a Category B car in the UK? All trailers which can handle the weight (of which there seem to be few) must weigh more than 600kg surely?

And if so... does this mean we're going to need to use a category C1 vehicle to tow it... or put it on a lorry.

TIA
You might just sneak in just under the 3500kgs, a few years ago I had a hard boat listed as 3000kgs I put it on a twin axle 3500kgs streamlined bunked trailer & on a weighbridge it was bang on 3500kgs, which kept it legal to tow without going hgv. Maybe worth weighing the boat accurately & checking with various trailer manufacturers to find the lightest trailer you can & see if the sums add up, will need to be twin axle & bunked to get it as light as possible.
Old 28 December 2023, 12:52   #5

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Bramber /Snipe offer 8.5 metre 3.5 ton at 2900kg carrying , so finding your boat weight is quite important as BK suggests ..........Handy your in Cambridge area as snipe /bramber are only just north of colchester essex

Tags
rib