Old 22 June 2024, 22:57   #1

Town: Skipton
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115
Indespension Trailer Bent - do I need a new one?

Hi there, my first post so be gentle with me! I’ve just bought my first RIB - it’s a used Humber Destroyer 5.3m with a 115hp Mercury 4 stroke outboard. It came on an Indespension trailer.

Unfortunately, on my first long journey (before I’ve even used the boat!) I hit a pot hole and the frame has buckled. It’s the main side bar.

So my question is whether this is salvageable? Could it be braced or welded? Or is it a new trailer job? I’ve just seen the prices of new trailers so would rather avoid that if I can!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	145262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3545.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	145263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3556.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	145264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	145265  
Old 23 June 2024, 04:08   #2

Town: Colchester
That is incredibly bad. I tow a lot but have never had a side frame bend like that. Does the trailer fit the boat.

Have a look at Extreme trailers if not as they are actually very reasonably priced.

Also wise to have mudguards on any trailer and actually a requirement
Old 23 June 2024, 04:46   #3

Cheers. The trailer is rated at 750kg. I’ve googled and I think the boat weighs 380kg and the outboard roughly 170/180kg. So am I right in saying it is the right size for the boat? Will look at the extreme trailers and thanks for the heads up about mudguards. Unfortunately they were also a victim of the first journey!!
Old 23 June 2024, 06:05   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Trailer is toast.

I think you’ve been incredibly lucky the boat stayed on. If you look at that buckled section it’s rotten, so whatever galvanising was there is gone, and it’s been painted. Not worth repairing in my book, as it probably hides all manner of issues underneath. I get there’s potholes on the road and trailer suspension tends to jar, as it’s usually built into main axle and tyres to a point.

The trailer is key, integrity, strength, reliability. Indespension are a very good make, and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy new or second hand.
Old 23 June 2024, 10:32   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I too think you've been very lucky.

Problem with box section & boat launching is that the steel will corrode away to nothing inside the box & often the first time the owner is aware that something is wrong is when it breaks or bends.

An inspection camera will give a rough idea of the inside of the box, but can't measure the thickness of the remaining steel.

I expect you will find that the other side is in similar condition internally & the box section under it won't be a lot better.

If you are able to carry out any necessary work - replacing all box sections in their entirety would be an absolute minimum - & have all the kit including welding kit then it might be worthwhile toying with the idea of rebuilding it.
But bear in mind that if the new metal isn't fully galvanised it won't take long before the inside of the new box section corrodes & you'll be back to square 1 so you are going to be throwing good money after bad.

Your weight suggests you are OK with an unbraked trailer & you need to decide whether a total rebuild of your trailer & the costs incurred or a nice new galvanised one makes the most sense.

TBH I think a new one is the best option.
Old 23 June 2024, 11:05   #6

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Welcome to the world of boating on a Budget , most people ignore trailers seem to forget if the boats on a trailer at home then in order to enjoy the boat you will need to get it to the coast , hence imho the trailer is as important as the boat ,sorry i am a self confessed trailer anorak
If i were you the first thing to do would be while on the existing trailer travel a very short distance to a local weighbridge ,so you dont budget for the wrong trailer ..........i had a 5.3 R/C inline seating with 100hp 4 stroke honda ,it weighed in at 1050 kg on the trailer ..........its a tricky size boat will be under 750kg but add a trailer and your over add a braked trailer and your a ton
Old 23 June 2024, 11:18   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
If i were you the first thing to do would be while on the existing trailer travel a very short distance to a local weighbridge ,so you dont budget for the wrong trailer
^ Great advice. It's guesswork, the OPs trailer may have been rated for 750kg when new, leaving approximately 500-525kgs for the boat. No surprise that the old weakened unit calved.
Old 23 June 2024, 12:10   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
That side member could be replaced by a competent welder but I'd only consider it a temporary repair as it will rust internaly unless galvanized which probably isnt economical. The rest of the trailer is possibly weakened by corrosion so probably a good idea to go round tapping for further rust while the boat is off the trailer. It's at the end of its life & probably overloaded but might get you by for a while with a temporary repair
Old 23 June 2024, 13:59   #9

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I’m inclined to agree that it looks like I’ll be chasing my tail if I go down the repair route. I think I’ll just have to suck it up and get a new one. At least then I should have peace of mind for a few years. Also like the weigh bridge idea as the outboard is a big lump and I’m sure weighs a hell of a lot!
Old 23 June 2024, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Trailer is toast.

I think you’ve been incredibly lucky the boat stayed on. If you look at that buckled section it’s rotten, so whatever galvanising was there is gone, and it’s been painted. Not worth repairing in my book, as it probably hides all manner of issues underneath. I get there’s potholes on the road and trailer suspension tends to jar, as it’s usually built into main axle and tyres to a point.

The trailer is key, integrity, strength, reliability. Indespension are a very good make, and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy new or second hand.
I agree trailer has had it. Buy a new one again my vote is for extreme.

Don’t waste money on trying to fix it has some have advised as that is just money you could spend on new.

Unfortunatly a Humber 5.3 with a 115 four stroke is going to be very close to the limit for a unbraked trailer so weighing it is a good idea.

If you can get it on unbraked the trailer from extreme with light board will be about £2,100 so not worth messing about.

If it all (including the trailer weight ) goes over 750 kg then the cost of a suitable trailer from extreme will be about £3,600.

If it does need braked you are then in the world of fun that is boat trailer brakes.
Old 23 June 2024, 20:08   #11

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Your rib with jockey console and single seat on its own will weigh around 400kg.
Old 23 June 2024, 20:22   #12

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeybambam View Post
Thanks everyone - very helpful. I’m inclined to agree that it looks like I’ll be chasing my tail if I go down the repair route. I think I’ll just have to suck it up and get a new one. At least then I should have peace of mind for a few years. Also like the weigh bridge idea as the outboard is a big lump and I’m sure weighs a hell of a lot!
A couple of things to consider before you jump into buying a new trailer.
Whilst a temporary repair may seem like money wasted as its almost inevitable you'll need a replacement in the not too distant future, it could get you on the water cheaply & quickly. I'd estimate its probably £250 to replace that side member & check the rest of the trailer for deterioration for the right person once the boat is off. An extra keel roller fitted to the axle might help reduce the load on the rear swing beam & reduce load on the side members
My guess is the trailer was probably speced when the boat was probably fitted with a much lighter 2 stroke & may now be under rated .As suggested a limp to a weighbridge will confirm either way & might be the decider anyway if its over weight .
A new braked trailer is a substantial investment & buying used is a minefield of dodgy brakes & bearings if a 750kg unbraked will do the job then a used trailer might get you going.
At this time of year there may be a substantial lead time for a new trailer unless you can find someone with one in stock.
The other thing to consider as its your first boat & you've not used it, very few folk buy the right boat first time, as you go on in your boating experience your perceived wants and priorities change & many folk change boats sometimes several times before they find the right one for them. A new trailer whilst nice wont lift the value of the rig anywhere near the cost of the trailer if you do as many folk do & change boats quickly it could be a big hole in the finances.
Its your choice but a few things to consider for you.
Fastasfox on here has a used 750kg trailer that will be available soon & may be worth a pm too
Old 01 July 2024, 17:07   #13

I'm still pondering this and the best way forward. IF i did go down the new route, and IF the boat and trailer would be under 750kg, would this be the kind of thing to go for?:

https://www.extrememarine.co.uk/750-super-roller

Cheers
Old 01 July 2024, 19:29   #14

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
I'm still pondering this and the best way forward. IF i did go down the new route, and IF the boat and trailer would be under 750kg, would this be the kind of thing to go for?:

Cheers
Your outfit with a trailer will be easily over 750kgs.
Don’t be scared or put off by boat trailer brakes, they are pretty easily maintained.
The resident bellend on here doesn’t like brakes as they are too complicated for him. 🤷*♂️
Old 01 July 2024, 19:31   #15

Quote:

Cheers
Yes indeed. It would make no sense to spend any money on your broken and probably well rotten trailer when you can buy all new for that sort of low money.
Old 01 July 2024, 19:37   #16

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Did you notice where the pothole was? If I was you 'id be taking some photos and writing to the council or whoever is responsible for maintaining the road. They pay out for alloy wheels and suspension springs all the time.

Worth the cost of a stamp - you never know....

https://www.gov.uk/claim-for-damage-to-your-vehicle
Old 01 July 2024, 20:49   #17

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
That must have been some scare!

Have the trailer checked over for other evidence of serious rot. The current damaged section is fairly easily repairable. It's just a matter of whether it's worthwhile if there's advanced corrosion elsewhere too. It may not be as bad as you think but you'll need more experienced eyes over it.
Old Yesterday, 04:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
That must have been some scare!

Have the trailer checked over for other evidence of serious rot. The current damaged section is fairly easily repairable. It's just a matter of whether it's worthwhile if there's advanced corrosion elsewhere too. It may not be as bad as you think but you'll need more experienced eyes over it.
If you look closely at that trailer it has been painted and looks like most of it is in the same state as the bent bit
Old Yesterday, 05:30   #19

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
for what its worth my humber destroyer 5.5 with 115 outboard and fuel and kit is over 750kg and i had to go 1300kg trailer in fact all loaded up ready to go for a week in Scotland its not far off the 1300 limit theres very little chance you will get away with a 750kg unbraked trailer and having had to do some quick stops when folk have pulled out on me i wouldn't want to and im using a 2 ton pick up truck as tow vehicle
Old Yesterday, 08:48   #20

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
I'd be having a chat with the seller - its worth ago - on the trailer front he sold you a pup!

Tags
trailer