Old 29 September 2024, 09:19   #21
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>one trip to Scotland towing my Rib the Disco 3... limp mode 5 times... pull over to reset... on the M25 and around Glasgow when they were doing the big roadworks no hard shoulder and no refuge. That was just on one day.

Ahh so now we get to the bottom of it, the OP has a not very well looked after example of a vehicle notorious for questionable reliability if not cared for... yet lays blame at the door of all modern vehicles and outboards.

I just noted down a list to be accurate and over the past fifteen years I have been responsible for eleven "modern diesels" related to this household. Four Citroen, three Ford, two Mercedes, one BMW and one Alfa ranging from brand new to those with over 150k recorded. All serviced above and beyond with forward thinking preventative maintenance taking into account any potential foibles of a particular model.

Not one issue experienced related to emissions control equipment or engine management.

If I had a a vehicle that was so unreliable and dangerous I'd out it in a moment and get something else, there are many great tow vehicles where these things are a non-issue. Knowingly running an unreliable dangerous vehicle is somewhat obtuse.

>>>When I first came on here years ago people were all excited about and were buying new 20 hp 4 strokes in the sibbing world. Mostly people now are seeking out Yam 15 hp 2 strokes and Tohatsu 9.8 2 strokes........and it is not all about weight.

Actually there are just a small minority of us that choose the old 2-strokes... purely because of the weight... most folks are happily running modern 4-strokes but you don't hear so much from them as they are getting on with their boating quietly, reliably and with great fuel economy. Take The Gurnard as an example who probably covers more miles than anyone else on here in the 4m class and loves his new Yamaha 4-stroke.
Old 29 September 2024, 10:09   #22

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I took your statement ......"Just like outboards the so called Modern Engines are far worse and dangerous in so many ways compared with what we had and was the standard 20 plus years ago" ...... to be a general statement covering all modern diesel engines, not just Landrover.
In my view it is the case on balance with modern engines be they outboard or car. Others can of course have a different view
Old 29 September 2024, 10:10   #23

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>one trip to Scotland towing my Rib the Disco 3... limp mode 5 times... pull over to reset... on the M25 and around Glasgow when they were doing the big roadworks no hard shoulder and no refuge. That was just on one day.

Ahh so now we get to the bottom of it, the OP has a not very well looked after example of a vehicle notorious for questionable reliability if not cared for... yet lays blame at the door of all modern vehicles and outboards.

I just noted down a list to be accurate and over the past fifteen years I have been responsible for eleven "modern diesels" related to this household. Four Citroen, three Ford, two Mercedes, one BMW and one Alfa ranging from brand new to those with over 150k recorded. All serviced above and beyond with forward thinking preventative maintenance taking into account any potential foibles of a particular model.

Not one issue experienced related to emissions control equipment or engine management.

If I had a a vehicle that was so unreliable and dangerous I'd out it in a moment and get something else, there are many great tow vehicles where these things are a non-issue. Knowingly running an unreliable dangerous vehicle is somewhat obtuse.

>>>When I first came on here years ago people were all excited about and were buying new 20 hp 4 strokes in the sibbing world. Mostly people now are seeking out Yam 15 hp 2 strokes and Tohatsu 9.8 2 strokes........and it is not all about weight.

Actually there are just a small minority of us that choose the old 2-strokes... purely because of the weight... most folks are happily running modern 4-strokes but you don't hear so much from them as they are getting on with their boating quietly, reliably and with great fuel economy. Take The Gurnard as an example who probably covers more miles than anyone else on here in the 4m class and loves his new Yamaha 4-stroke.
I respectively disagree with much of what you have said based on my experience over many years with many different engines.

Anyway the purpose of this thread was to help others should they have a Landrover that they tow with or indeed don't tow with that has got issues informing them of what they could do that has worked for me.

If you don't have a Landrover and haven't had limp mode issues that is excellent news