Old 17 June 2020, 08:27   #21

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
I can't understand why people ask questions regarding the regulations on trailers when they must be, it is in Western Australia, available online from the relevant authority.

In accordance with our laws, most of the advice given is incorrect.

The Law is not clear - that is why I asked the Q.
If it were clear then the trailer manufacturer & trailer selling companies would have an immediate answer - they didn't.

The law is specifc on type of lights, size, position etc. ...... but could not find a statement whether for a boat trailer the transom was regarded as rear or the boat or the prop.
Old 17 June 2020, 16:37   #22

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
Let me whole heartily disagree with you.
Lets just say when you take a boat trailer for a test approval in the uk there is not alllowed to be a boat on it , maybe that says it all !
when installing submersible eu approved lights it is always hard to house the number plate ,i usually have a plug from the sidelight connection ,so you can hang number plate on load (a frame ) ,i also know its not legal however its difficult to find a better place and with the roaming light it makes a great effort .
Old 17 June 2020, 20:34   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
I can't understand why people ask questions regarding the regulations on trailers when they must be, it is in Western Australia, available online from the relevant authority.

In accordance with our laws, most of the advice given is incorrect.
The law is there if you know where to look (i've provided a clue in a previous post!) but its far from easily reading, and isn't even all in one place. In reality the test 99% of the time in the UK is "does it look right" if it does you won't get stopped.
Old 17 June 2020, 21:46   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
The position has to be clear to read by all I can think of lorry tractor units with them on the off side Alfa Romeo cars with them to one side at the front to name two
Old 17 June 2020, 22:51   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
The position has to be clear to read by all I can think of lorry tractor units with them on the off side Alfa Romeo cars with them to one side at the front to name two
Low loader trailers often have them on one ramp and they have to pass a stringent mot every year And they are trailers, so do many horse box trailers even some bikes like Harleys have them off centre......

I don’t think the law recognises “boat trailers” In any specific regard they are just light trailers (I.e under 3.5T gross mostly )
Old 18 June 2020, 09:11   #26

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The law is there if you know where to look (i've provided a clue in a previous post!) but its far from easily reading, and isn't even all in one place. In reality the test 99% of the time in the UK is "does it look right" if it does you won't get stopped.
^^^This.

If the lights & number plate are working & clearly visible - and the rearmost bit of the load doesn't stick out too far beyond the light board (the RVLR 1989 is 1 metre before you require additional lights on the load) - the average non-traffic PC has no idea of the nuances of the legislation.

The RVLR 1989 legislation can be complicated & one of the Act's definitions is that a trailer is "A vehicle constructed or adapted to be drawn by another vehicle." So you can be looking in the sections for 'trailer' when the relevant word is 'vehicle'.