Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 February 2011, 09:48   #1

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Potential new trailer build regulations (Bloody EU again)

Hi Guys
Ok this is more a pre-warning than a simple story or anecdote...

The build of Gwenn Ah Gwer's trailer continues and will be ready for galvanizing sometime next week.

Unfortunately, as i live permenantly in France, (and for once, the French are actually obeying EU directives) i have to follow quite a few (5 pages to be precise) of build rules and criteria in order for the trailer to be legally towed on the roads. Once finished, the trailer has to undergo 'homologation' testing with the aim of recieving a 'carte grise' or V5 equivalent document in the UK.

Now i have heard contradictory stories about whether or not this is comming to the UK....some say it is, some think it is but do not have a date others have never heard about it.

To give you a taste of what could potentially be comming, i have picked out a few of my favorites.....I just love the EU!

- a bumper or deflector must be fitted in front of the front most trailer wheels to protect a cyclist/motorcyclist from a side impact
- all lighting equipment must have an 'E' followed by a number stamped on the lenses
- All lighting must be installed at set heights from the ground
- The main draw bar must by 'type approved' and certificated with certidicate and proof of loading calculations supplied.
- If the drawbar is an integral part of the chasis of the trailer then it/they must be of a continous section. no welding is allowed on the drawbar section(s) fom the load carrying part of the trailer to the hitch!
- identity plates must be fitted of no less than 10x7cm in size with minimum 4mm charachter height showing just about everything including inside leg measurment of builder!

The list goes on and on but also, as you would expect with the French, two whole trees have to be submitted in the form of paperwork at the moment of inspection.

We've all given a wide berth to some 'dodgy' homebuild trailers crabbing down the road but can we really justify 5 pages of criteria? and will this really make our roads a safer place?.....does anyone actually know how many accidents are caused by homebuild trailers each year?....i'l venture a guess and say probably not that many.

Dont you just love the EU?....next they will be giving life sentance prisoners the right to vote......oh, wait a minute....

Simon
Old 19 February 2011, 09:27   #2

Sorry, forgot to mention that at the moment these rules only apply to trailers with a GVW of 750kg and up......anyone know if this is definately comming to the UK?

Simon
Old 21 February 2011, 08:03   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that at the moment these rules only apply to trailers with a GVW of 750kg and up......anyone know if this is definately comming to the UK?

Simon
The laws are not coming to the UK as far as I know - at least no announcement has been made - no need to panic yet!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2011, 13:26   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The lighting regs are here already! Positioning is same as before.

Drawbar calcs - It sounds like they are just insisting that homebrew trailers get the same treatment as would be given a mass produced one.

I bet the welding ban is there because everyone can go to the DIY shop & buy a welding kit, but not everyone knows how to use it properly!
Old 22 February 2011, 14:41   #5

Quote:
I bet the welding ban is there because everyone can go to the DIY shop & buy a welding kit, but not everyone knows how to use it properly!
[/quote]
Yep, that's the same conclusion i came too, i suppose at least when everything is bolted, you know the structure has a certain resistance to failing. The ironic thing is that a lot of trailers over here now have holes drilled along the drawbars!...and a good way to weaken a structure is to drill holes all over it!

Shame for those that do know how to properly glue metal together though as i much prefer things welded (correctly) rather than giant Meccano sets!

Simon