Old 08 June 2012, 07:16   #1

Rack for dinghy inside rib

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer who can make a lightweight rack to go over the console and seats in a humber 5m assault rib so that we can double stack a cadet dinghy (55kgs, 11ft long) on top of the rib?

Many thanks
Old 08 June 2012, 07:55   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welcome to ribnet!

Are you meaning something that will sit inside the rib and be removable as required, or a "double deck" type arrangement on the trailer?

I ask because if the former (frame inside the rib) you may need to do some major mods - the straps to hold the dinghy down will need somewhere to be anchored, and if you take them direct to the trailer frame you have potentially 3 "loose" points between the trailer frame & the Cadet. (Rib moves slightly on the trailer, frame slides slightly on the deck etc) If you could mould some fixing points for the frame into the ribls deck (even just locating pins / holes) this problem will reduce. There are plenty of companies out there do the "double deck" trailer adaptors - just go to any big Laser event & you'll get some ideas.

Would you not be a lot cheaper & easier buying a roof rack & throwing the cadet on the car roof? (or do you have another one up there already?)

I forget the exact construction of a cadet, but another option might be to have some kind of "roof rack bar" ahead of the transom, fixed in a similar manner to an A- frame, then for the cadet's bow you fabricate some kind of T- bar idea that sits over the back of your seat to support the bow. Then you just have the problem of lashing it down (but maybe slightly reduced because the Cadet will be inside the toobs). A variation on that might be to fit some blocks to the floor of the rib ahead of the transom to hold the corners of the gunwhales, and (assuming you can do that becuase it clears the tilted engine), rest the bow on the back of the jockey seat.
Old 08 June 2012, 08:01   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
You should really transport the cadet the right way up, supporting the hull as the launching trolley does, I was chatting to my friend at the qualifiers in Poole as I have a spare set of trailer bars, he told me he knew a few people who'd damaged boats by transporting them on roof/trailer bars.

Probably worth chatting to other club members though, my experience is limited to one passing comversation.
Old 08 June 2012, 12:21   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
of course -it'll have a launching trolley! I really must have a larger mug of coffee before early morning posts.....

Is the geometry such that you could sit the trolley inside the rib on the floor? If not -

Get a couple of lengths of 3x2 wood, And fabriicate a couple of brackets to fix them to the transom, with the 3" side vertical. (old clamps of a 6/8 Hp would probably do that nicely). then taper them towards a point over the jockey. Using your woodwork skills, add a cross piece and two verticals to locate it. Then, add a couple of blocks on the top surface of the long bits to locate the axle of the launch trolley, and ditto for the nose.

You still havre the problem of securely lashing it down, but you could add a cleat or two at the sides of the jockey lower dowen (possibly also useful for multiple tows / rafting a fleet of dinghies to you?) , and as the tail end of the frame will be clamped to the tansom, one strap round the frame+boat will hold the aft end down...

If that made no sense, let me know & I'll post a sketch.