Old 10 November 2013, 20:33   #1

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
Replacement Stub axle advice?

Hi, I need to refurb my trailer over the coming winter but need some advice/suggestions please with regard to the stub axles one of which has collapsed.

I'm not sure of the exact size but its an older galavanised trailer that carries an SR4, it was originally braked (now removed) with back plate hubs etc & 4 stud 10" mini wheels.

I'm looking at replacement 750kg stub axles which are probably more than I need but i'm guessing with the trailer being braked these would have been originally fitted? There seems to be 2 options the first is buy just the stub axle without hubs and replace what I currently have by re-fitting the original back plates/hubs and new bearings etc or I've seen replacement stub axles with non braked hubs already fitted although i'm not sure if mini wheels whilst 4 stud fit onto these so I think i'll need to get new wheels and tyres also? I've also seen reference to flushing hubs but cannot find much info on these, any advice/suggestions appreciated on the best way forward, regards AL
Old 10 November 2013, 22:01   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
if you don't need brakes then much easier to replace with non braked stubs cheaper & less to go wrong

it depends on your tow cars unbraked towing capacity as your boat & trailer should be well below 750kg & therefore does not require brakes

i'd check your towcars unbraked limit & then decide if you need brakes or not
Old 12 November 2013, 19:05   #3

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
Hi thanks for the reply I think I'll just go for the non braked hubs I've got no issues with towing weights

Regards AL
Old 14 November 2013, 18:07   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Hi, I need to refurb my trailer over the coming winter but need some advice/suggestions please with regard to the stub axles one of which has collapsed.

I'm not sure of the exact size but its an older galavanised trailer that carries an SR4, it was originally braked (now removed) with back plate hubs etc & 4 stud 10" mini wheels.

I'm looking at replacement 750kg stub axles which are probably more than I need but i'm guessing with the trailer being braked these would have been originally fitted? There seems to be 2 options the first is buy just the stub axle without hubs and replace what I currently have by re-fitting the original back plates/hubs and new bearings etc or I've seen replacement stub axles with non braked hubs already fitted although i'm not sure if mini wheels whilst 4 stud fit onto these so I think i'll need to get new wheels and tyres also? I've also seen reference to flushing hubs but cannot find much info on these, any advice/suggestions appreciated on the best way forward, regards AL
Speak to these guys they make axles for trailers they are based in manchester might give you some good advice Trailers | Plant trailer | | tipper trailer | unbraked trailer | goods trailer | Meredith & Eyre Trailers Manchester
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote