Click Here to Login

Old 07 March 2020, 00:19   #1

Town: Mountain View, CA
Boat name: Six Park
Make: True Kit
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6
roller trailer and transom wheels

I am thinking of getting a 11ft alum rib and transporting it on a trailer. I'll probably do most launches on a ramp, but occasionally I want to launch the boat on a beach. I can't drive onto the beach, so I would need to put the boat on the ground and pull it using transom wheels.

Will it be easy to load/unload the boat on/off the trailer without removing the motor?

Something like this

but this guy's trailer has special curved bunks that allows the boat to be unloaded. Will it be possible to accomplish the same thing with rollers?
Old 07 March 2020, 07:52   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
The roller mounting beams on most roller trailers are on Gimbals which would allow this.

Nasher
Old 07 March 2020, 11:49   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_fisher View Post
I am thinking of getting a 11ft alum rib and transporting it on a trailer. I'll probably do most launches on a ramp, but occasionally I want to launch the boat on a beach. I can't drive onto the beach, so I would need to put the boat on the ground and pull it using transom wheels.

Will it be easy to load/unload the boat on/off the trailer without removing the motor?

Something like this

but this guy's trailer has special curved bunks that allows the boat to be unloaded. Will it be possible to accomplish the same thing with rollers?
If you can't lift the front of the boat off the trailer to push it back onto the launching wheels you stand no chance of pushing the outfit across a beach.
The engine left on should help you as it counter balances the weight of the boat helping you lift easier. Having the engine tilted only part way helps keep the powerhead behind the wheels helping to lift the front so your not carrying so much weight
Old 07 March 2020, 19:40   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Just lift the trailer at the front and winch up I do that with my sib as the boat climbs the trailer will drop back down I do this on my lawn in the dry too I lift the boat up at the bow push the trailer right up to the stern of the boat connect the winch and tighten then pull down on the trailer draw bar then pull the boat up to the winch post
Old 07 March 2020, 20:13   #5

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
+1 on above.

Don't fill your boat up with stuff before pushing it and getting a comfortable strop on the front really helps when you're pushing / pulling it.