Old 14 March 2021, 16:04   #21

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
....One of the downsides of tractor launching at Ty Calch is that the whole coupling gets immersed too.!

On occasions where I have to fully immerse trailer (happens on one slipway, or beach recovery on low water).
I keep a trigger spray of De-Salt mix in the car, and spray the coupling and jockey wheel.
Old 14 March 2021, 20:04   #22

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
All that work to keep your trailer right !! ,i am a trailer obsessed anorak person too ,however i am very lucky ,several years ago i realised bunks have now been replaced by rollers ,this means that the days of floating the boat off the bunks is history , therefore if you are lucky enough to have a foot of water depth behind the trailer when the water is up to the top of the tyre walls ,then you can probhably get in dry (not with a full boat i may add ,have to launch and retrieve people from the adjacent pontoon )
very lucky i hav,nt put any of my trailers underwater for years ,however i accept it is not always possible on shallow slopes and slips
All i would say is just try it you may be surprised ! you can always send me your savings
Old 14 March 2021, 20:32   #23

My trailer is not bunked, and neither have my previous 2 trailers.
It is a 2600 EL .... SBS term for their swivel bogey roller trailers.

Well used to roller trailers however on a steep ramp where I launch, I have to have water up to top of wheels to be able to push boat of the rollers.
It’s a heavy boat and it will not push off when trailer still attached to car, until stern almost at Point of floating.
I have also tried the theory of having trailer disconnected, and get hull on to rear bogey set and then Winch.
The issue is my boat will not pivot until 2/3 on the trailer ... the tow hitch is way up in the air, and you cannot keep it down until pivot point to reached.
I do have rollers by choice.
Interesting in US they almost universally hate roller trailers ... they want to drive on and drive off a bunked trailer, without getting their feet wet.
Old 14 March 2021, 22:39   #24

Well that looks encouraging if you have a steep slipway ,my regular slipway is also very steep which is a massive plus ,now all you need to think about is why is gravity not helping you ? simple really the way those swinging cradles lay too each other they defy the slope of the slip !.......can you lock yours for launch so they are rigid flat too each other and pull the pin for retrieve ? i have two trailers with swinging rollers and one with rollerbunk system ,my 5.85 athough not as big as yours is on the rollerbunk and i need a chain to keep it on the trailer ,and thats on the flat ,also quite helpful the engine weight is on the back !
maybe the us has the slipway cred problem ,i never drive my boats onto the trailers ,always winch all the way ,,no cred i know but i do get out more as not always faffing with my trailer maintainance
Ally Rollerbunk for me every time , you can practice dropping your boat off on your back lawn !
Old 14 March 2021, 22:46   #25

Gravity is helping ... it pushes boat downwards onto trailer.
The rollers cannot be locked

I winch my boat on, and having had bunk trailers, I chose rollers.

If I am parked on the flat ... my boat cannot be pushed off my trailer, too heavy to move. I can winch it off and have done so to work on trailer.
Old 14 March 2021, 23:18   #26

[QUOTE=Sargan;830259]Gravity is helping ... it pushes boat downwards onto trailer.

Yes well done you seem to have most factors in place ,lovely top quality trailer ,guessing 40 odd rollers ,and a good slope on your slipway ,but the boat wont roll off ,well i suspect thats just the way it is ,sorry not sure i have any further ideas ,would be interested to hear if it does any good locking those cradles though .
Old 15 March 2021, 12:51   #27

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
[QUOTE=Orwell boy;830260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
Gravity is helping ... it pushes boat downwards onto trailer.

Yes well done you seem to have most factors in place ,lovely top quality trailer ,guessing 40 odd rollers ,and a good slope on your slipway ,but the boat wont roll off ,well i suspect thats just the way it is ,sorry not sure i have any further ideas ,would be interested to hear if it does any good locking those cradles though .

Might depend on the type of rollers. I’ve changed the black rubbery rollers for the hard blue plastic ones on my last few trailers. Night and day performance. Went from great difficulty getting on off to just a push would release boat into water. To the point I actually left a few black ones on my current trailer to provide a little hold and help with being able to drive on without immediately rolling back off when engines stopped.
Old 15 March 2021, 14:23   #28

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
IME black rubbery rollers - esp the keel ones - deform under the weight of the boat & then won't rotate as they have flats on them against the keel and/or stick on the pins.
They don't take long to do it either!
I've toyed with replacing them with nylon but haven't got round to it.
Old 16 March 2021, 11:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

They look interesting .... though the extra €2850 on top of the €9197 gives an eye waterring €12,000+ for teh trailer.

I have had boats & trailer incl, that cost less :-)

Do the disc brakes work in auto-reverse as drum brakes ?
Old 16 March 2021, 13:01   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Do the disc brakes work in auto-reverse as drum brakes ?

Yup[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 20:45   #31

[QUOTE=Iankristy;830288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post

Might depend on the type of rollers. I’ve changed the black rubbery rollers for the hard blue plastic ones on my last few trailers. Night and day performance. Went from great difficulty getting on off to just a push would release boat into water. To the point I actually left a few black ones on my current trailer to provide a little hold and help with being able to drive on without immediately rolling back off when engines stopped.
I like and agree with the night and day analygy,i have just bought 14 pairs of extreme orange rollers (which seem the same as their blue ) on the ally wing brackets ,it truly is so superior IMHO ,but prices have nearly doubled recent and not sure why ? ,quite often i have seen floating rollers up the vee but then many have keel rollers as well totally defeating the system ,mind you with nylons on wing brackets you should never leave home without a safety chain between boat and winch post ,in case of a winch braking ,and infact on my steep slip i have braked winches on both trailers incase you lose hold on the winch !
Old 03 April 2021, 15:55   #32

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Just done my brakes and bearing having been coached by Mr Caton. This was after 3 seasons and did not look much different. I wired brushed the swing arm and painted with hammerite. Just used some grease on the moving parts

I too had trouble with the spring for the brakes and it must have taken 20 minutes for the first one and by the time I came to the fourth it was 2 minutes. Chris said he had made a tool to help. i just used a couple of screwdrivers and gravity! I'm sure there must be a technique.

I have also replaced the coupling after the damper has become corroded and banging on the back. In fact I have replaced the damper on the old coupling as well as buying a new one. One of the downsides of tractor launching at Ty Calch is that the whole coupling gets immersed too.

I am also fortunate that we have a big torque wrench at work so getting 290Nm was not a problem.

Ended up buying a tool from Taunton trailer for the hub caps!

Just need to test run it now!

i know it doesn’t look much, but this was so much easier than trying to squeeze my fat fingers in behind the backplate to refit the spring retainer, made it out of an old terminal screwdriver, few gentle taps with a hammer and ground the end flat, its slightly magnetic too which helps[emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4143.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	136799
Old 06 April 2021, 13:29   #33

My 'end' method was to compress the srpring with an F clamp, rotate the sring hook through 90 degrees, drop reataining plate into place with a telecopic magnet, and while holding it there, release the F clamp.
Then with screwdrivre rotate back 90 degrees .... spring tension holds retaining plate still and it all then clips into place.

I still think its an awful design.

Britain should move to disc brakes, long overdue ..... dipping drums & pads into salt water when they are not protected for it is a sure route to failure.
Old 07 April 2021, 14:43   #34

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Britain should move to disc brakes, long overdue ..... dipping drums & pads into salt water when they are not protected for it is a sure route to failure.
I agree, the axles are a week point in the design, disc brakes should at least be an option