Click Here to Login

Old 28 July 2012, 17:32   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
stuck outer bearing removal tips?

Going over a trailer today and have done one side - easy enough , but the other the outer bearing has jammed itself onto the shaft ....so has stopped all play.

Its too small a gap to get pullers into, and I can see the bearing case has vanished ( into the nice little bits that grind everything together )

So I'm wondering if there is a super easy way to get it off ( without drilling it etc ) . There is maybe 3mm of movement so tapping the wheel is doing nothing much except wobling the wheel about ....

Any ideas much appreciated... Thanks

( In better news the new seats & cushion are done for the mini project !)
Old 28 July 2012, 19:05   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Is the drum & wheel still stuck on the shaft then?

You're more than welcome to borrow a hub puller (got a couple of h/duty ones) if you wanted to bimble past tomorrow?

Home is the Catisfield end of Fareham.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2012, 19:10   #3

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
just patiance you wont drill bearing metal unless it has been red hot,or lucky ,
I would leave the wheel on and pull like hell , or put a puller that is attached to two oposite wheel studs and pull the complete hub offif the inner race is stuck on the axle use a grinder ,making sure you wear safety goggles and a acceptable pair of gloves, it wont matter about the other bearing as that will have to be changed as well,if you cant get a drift onto the outer bearing cup to knock it out , TEAM TIP fellow humans electric weld around the bearing race track (DONT WELD IT TO THE HUB) and it will either drop out or come out very easy. good luck
Old 28 July 2012, 19:11   #4

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Trailer Guy I think I have covered everything if not your the man to talk to all the best
Old 28 July 2012, 22:01   #5

Cheers guys, to be clearer its an unbraked hub & stub axle ( no drum etc ) - the outer bearing ( inner race) has 'fixed' itself on the the shaft but as the cage has collapsed there is 2-3 mm of float on the hub/wheel so it will have to come off some how.

There are studs in the hub (and nuts holding the wheel on) . I have found my puller but I cant get it on the bearing to pull it - but if I loosen the nuts , put the puller behind the nuts will that pull the hub off the axle I wonder ? ( which is what I want ! They are not small enough to get behind the inner part of the outer bearing ...I cant htink it can do any damage - I have spare hubs in the garage on the shelf anyway.

Its not the shell in the hub thats the issue , but the outer bearing inner on the axle ..

Its too tight to get a grinder inside the hub to get at the bearing ...

I think I may go with the 'apply more force' option , but leave the hub nut on to stop me flying backwards wheel ( still bolted to the hub) in hand....

Maybe too many inner and outers going on it this to make much sense and its been a long day ....thanks trailer guy - I was between , Fareham , Stubbington , Lee on Solent & Porchester today ..so past your door ..if I only I tried the bearings this morning onstead of the seats....
Old 28 July 2012, 22:54   #6

I think I've a good idea of what you mean. The outer bearing cone has collapsed and the inner part of this is stuck on the shaft (nearest the thrust washer and castellated nut).

If it's the sort of hub I think it is (small, unbraked, 4 x 3/8" studs on a 4" PCD?) then the bearings will be the same size front and back. Ergo, if you do leave the hub nut on and you do manage to get it moving, then the chances are it'll fly over the top of the hub nut and you'll land on your backside anyway! Here's one that speaks from experience

Did something similar for a guy recently (minus the bum landing!). Does this look familiar? Except the bearing's stuck on the back of this one.

If so, a bit of heat may help the situation - if you can concentrate it on the stuck bearing then it may expand enough to help get it off.
Old 29 July 2012, 05:34   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The first tool I would grab would be a puller, well along with a wrench or socket to work with it, and maybe a hammer. If not much immediate movement a plasma cutter to see if the spindle could be saved. Of course as trailer guy recommends playing with fire is always fun!
Old 29 July 2012, 07:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
I think I've a good idea of what you mean. The outer bearing cone has collapsed and the inner part of this is stuck on the shaft (nearest the thrust washer and castellated nut).

If it's the sort of hub I think it is (small, unbraked, 4 x 3/8" studs on a 4" PCD?) then the bearings will be the same size front and back. Ergo, if you do leave the hub nut on and you do manage to get it moving, then the chances are it'll fly over the top of the hub nut and you'll land on your backside anyway! Here's one that speaks from experience

Did something similar for a guy recently (minus the bum landing!). Does this look familiar? Except the bearing's stuck on the back of this one.

If so, a bit of heat may help the situation - if you can concentrate it on the stuck bearing then it may expand enough to help get it off.
That is my problem exactly ( just far better explained) - off to do battle with it in the next ten minutes ....will try not to set fire to grease, tyre and boat !

If I can get it done this morning this afternoon I can try out the boat ..
Old 29 July 2012, 16:33   #9

how did you get on?
Old 29 July 2012, 20:41   #10

Al sorted thanks, puller was the way forward and worth digging out of the garage. Bearing cage was just vanished and I'm amazed I made it home on it.

Rollers literally dropped on to the floor!

Towed the boat to the water and all is good, think I just need to get the carbs cleaned and set up right which is beyond my will...
Old 30 July 2012, 19:10   #11

Good job! More time on the water