Old 08 February 2013, 18:30   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Stupid trailer damper!!

I've just spent a while stripping down and refurbishing the Bradley Doublelock hitch on my rollercoaster trailer.

The damper was well and truly knackered and I bought a new matching one using the ID code on the side of the damper to get a match

The damper I have bought is this one - Bradley Trailer Coupling Part Damper 1700kg Kit3220 | eBay

However on trying to re-assemble it I've found the hole spacings are 45mm too far apart to get the bolts in. Do I need to compress the damper as much as 45mm to fit it (I imagine this will be pretty tricky). I read TG's guide on here and it only mentions compressing the damper 1/2 a bolt diameter so 6mm or so...

Also the hitch itself is only rated at 700-1400kg so why did it have a 1700kg damper fitted and how the heck did anyone fit it in the first place, assuming it wasn't a knackered damper already when it was fitted!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 08 February 2013, 20:11   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Probably get the hitch no and go from there
Old 08 February 2013, 20:18   #3

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
On my roller coaseter I had to compess the dampner to get it in .
that was fun :-)
Old 08 February 2013, 20:53   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You've got the wrong damper. Mine went straight in to a 1300kg hitch, no compression.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2013, 21:30   #5

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Is it a delta coupling? i.e. that fit's on an a frame shape, rather than straight drawbar?

If so, the likelihood that you have a 1700kg damper is that Bradley now only make these weight variations:

450-950kg
850-1700kg
1650-2750kg
2250-3500kg

Ergo, the last person to replace it would've gone for the 850-1700kg damper (to cover your 1400kg rating), as the 450-950kg rating one would've been too light.

That's my best guess anyway!

You should be able to compress it (it's the 3500kg ones that take a bit of effort ), I've done a few at that sort of length. Not easy, I have to admit and it'll work your forearms! Also don't slip and smack your hand in to the end of the drawbar, ask me how I know it hurts and I'll show you a good scar on the inside of my palm lol...

If that's not going to work for you then maybe look at cutting down and re-drilling the extension bar that fits to the end of the damper?...
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2013, 18:36   #6

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
I've just spent a while stripping down and refurbishing the Bradley Doublelock hitch on my rollercoaster trailer.

The damper was well and truly knackered and I bought a new matching one using the ID code on the side of the damper to get a match

The damper I have bought is this one - Bradley Trailer Coupling Part Damper 1700kg Kit3220 | eBay

However on trying to re-assemble it I've found the hole spacings are 45mm too far apart to get the bolts in. Do I need to compress the damper as much as 45mm to fit it (I imagine this will be pretty tricky). I read TG's guide on here and it only mentions compressing the damper 1/2 a bolt diameter so 6mm or so...

Also the hitch itself is only rated at 700-1400kg so why did it have a 1700kg damper fitted and how the heck did anyone fit it in the first place, assuming it wasn't a knackered damper already when it was fitted!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Try these they have all the bradley trailer parts just click on the size of trailer you have & all the parts will come up EH17 1700kg Spares - Bradley Coupling Spares - Spare parts for couplings - Couplings - Trailer Parts
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2013, 19:11   #7

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Thanks everyone.

Re-attacked it today and managed to compress the damper sufficiently to fit it.

Hitch is now as new and works perfectly, brakes are much easier to adjust with correctly working shock absorber.

For future information it was a Rollercoaster trailer 60mm square box section drawtube and Bradley 1400kg hitch.

Thanks for the advice. All sorted now. I'm sure a 1400kg damper would have been an easier fit, but hopefully now its fitted the 1700kg damper will last a little longer!