Old 18 August 2012, 11:25   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Tail Lights Not Working.

Hi Guys,

Just to say hi to you all again after a 18 month break from the forum and the Searider.

Anyway decided to get her out again and had a great 2 days last weekend at Plymouth and Fowey. Good to see Matt (Nos4r2) at Penmarlam and thanks to Peter (B&O) for advice on finding her a new storage site.

The engine hadn't been started for over a year and i was more than pleased when the Yam 50 fired up after a few turns As to be expected, some things have deteriorated and will need replacing.

I have a problem with my trailer lights in that both tail lights dont work. I have tested on 2 other trailers so can confirm it definitely lies with the car/socket. The brake and indicators work, so am i correct in assuming it is not an earthing problem? My friend (electrical guru) wired the car electrics and also fitted a bypass relay and they were working fine. The tail lights are wired seperately in the 12 N socket, so i am slightly confused as to why both dont work? Before i go back to my friend (who is not local) I was hoping to have a look myself?

Any advice much appreciated.

Gibbo
Old 18 August 2012, 11:56   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
If it's both, are you sure it's not the bypass relay?

Check all feeds with a multimeter. In to the relay and out of it.

See if you're getting a feed out of it ok. If there's a live feed in, but nothing out, then that may be your issue. Taillights on the 12N are black and brown.

It's just a case of chasing it back really. Start where it's dead and work 'til you find a live. Check the fuse too.

Does the vehicle need a bypass? I guess you've towed with it before and it's been fine, until now?

** just re-read your post (sorry), looks like you've already answered the above question!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 12:16   #3

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
TG,

That was my initial thought about the bypass relay. I will have a look and report back.

Many thanks
Old 18 August 2012, 14:59   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sometimes the terminals get a little bit of corrosion. A little 3M oxide sandpaper rolled up will work. Quick clean with brass wire brush and check again.
Old 18 August 2012, 16:44   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
So do you tow with a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or a British vehicle Always best to state year, make, model, and color of vehicle when asking for help.

If it were me I would start by checking the fuses! Then start working my way from the connector forward.