Old 16 July 2023, 15:50   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Trailer maintenance… Jesus

How’s it going?

I started one side of my trailer earlier (and soon wished I hadn’t). The bearing was an absolute nightmare to get out. Took me about an hour of hammering with various aluminium/brass drifts.

The top section in the photo seems completely seized but the brake expander freed off ok. I need some new hooks and a new circlip but that seized bit at the top with the adjustment wheel, is it beyond help?

Next year I’ll be paying someone else to do this…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3945.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	143105
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 16:08   #2

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
I must admit defeat with my trailer. The two times it gets used, taking it to the sea at the beginning of the season and taking it back home to the driveway at the end of season, I've taken all the gubbins out completely. The amount of time spent renewing parts after a dipping in salt water...
I guess not legal anymore, but every time I used it, something was always wrong. Despite me jacking the trailer up on stands, with freely spinning wheels and copious amounts of freshwater flushing...

The distance is 12 miles there and back, just taking it slowly, I can live with the slight jarring when braking.
Old 16 July 2023, 16:26   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Where's the lining on the shoes?
Old 16 July 2023, 16:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Where's the lining on the shoes?

Good question. All I can think is that the last owner opened them, thought “f*ck this”. Then removed the delaminated liners before reconnecting it all
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 16 July 2023, 17:25   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Looking at that radius arm you'll need to start saving for a new axle soon so i wouldn't be spending much money on the brakes just now
Old 16 July 2023, 17:59   #6

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
A bit of a faff but I've never dunked mine in the salty stuff preferring to give myself a combined heart attack/hernia winching the boat back onto the trailer on slips or the beach once the tide's gone.Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer hubs (2).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	143106
Tyres at the waters edge on slips.

After 7 years it's looked after them . SBS trailer. I can see the advantages of stainless but saltwater is so corrosive unless the whole things protected inside and out you're going to get issues.
Old 16 July 2023, 19:39   #7

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
How’s it going?

I started one side of my trailer earlier (and soon wished I hadn’t). The bearing was an absolute nightmare to get out. Took me about an hour of hammering with various aluminium/brass drifts.

The top section in the photo seems completely seized but the brake expander freed off ok. I need some new hooks and a new circlip but that seized bit at the top with the adjustment wheel, is it beyond help?

Next year I’ll be paying someone else to do this…

Attachment 143105
I would be checking the suspension arms before spending any time or money ! Looks very corroded and that is the weakest point on the axle that snaps/breaks Click image for larger version

Name:	1126063645.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	143112

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app
Old 16 July 2023, 22:30   #8

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
I must admit defeat with my trailer. The two times it gets used, taking it to the sea at the beginning of the season and taking it back home to the driveway at the end of season, I've taken all the gubbins out completely. The amount of time spent renewing parts after a dipping in salt water...
I guess not legal anymore, but every time I used it, something was always wrong. Despite me jacking the trailer up on stands, with freely spinning wheels and copious amounts of freshwater flushing...

The distance is 12 miles there and back, just taking it slowly, I can live with the slight jarring when braking.
How heavy is your combo?

Over 750kg? So you legally need breaks. What happens if something happens when you are "taking it easy"? You can't control for other people being stupid..the cyclist who falls off Infront of you. The motorcycle who does a stupid overtake on a bend on the wrong side. The deer, fox, cow, sheep, that runs across the road in front of you

When it goes wrong and the authorities discover you removed your breaks.. are you hoping for a telling off or expecting jail time?
Old 16 July 2023, 22:36   #9

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
How heavy is your combo?

Over 750kg? So you legally need breaks. What happens if something happens when you are "taking it easy"? You can't control for other people being stupid..the cyclist who falls off Infront of you. The motorcycle who does a stupid overtake on a bend on the wrong side. The deer, fox, cow, sheep, that runs across the road in front of you

When it goes wrong and the authorities discover you removed your breaks.. are you hoping for a telling off or expecting jail time?

Would probably invalidate both car and boat insurance as well….
Old 16 July 2023, 23:42   #10

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Would probably invalidate both car and boat insurance as well….
No but they might seek to recover costs
Old 17 July 2023, 05:22   #11

Town: Colchester
This is why I will only tow unbraced boat trailers now
Old 17 July 2023, 08:40   #12

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
I guess that's told me... It takes a forum to express concern as to what others do and then for me to check what I was doing. Will certainly bring my brakes back up to standard again, as didn't really think about the consequences to others.

Lesson learned...
Old 17 July 2023, 09:08   #13

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
I guess that's told me... It takes a forum to express concern as to what others do and then for me to check what I was doing. Will certainly bring my brakes back up to standard again, as didn't really think about the consequences to others.

Lesson learned...
Check those heavily corroded suspension arms before renewing brakes/bearings etc, you might be needing a new axle complete

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app
Old 17 July 2023, 09:20   #14

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Think the technical term for those brakes (& possibly the axle as well) starts with an 'F' and ends with a 'd'.

What state were the bearings in?

I do have to dip the rear set on mine & I try & remove the hub & clean it off asap.
The linings on yours have probably come away from the shoes - pushed off by corrosion - & either been chucked by the owner or broken up inside the drum until the bits were fine enough to exit.
Old 17 July 2023, 10:27   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:

Lesson learned...
Dont beat yourself up you'd be amazed how many boats are running around with none existing brakes, big ones too your definitely not alone
Old 17 July 2023, 13:23   #16

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Think the technical term for those brakes (& possibly the axle as well) starts with an 'F' and ends with a 'd'.
This! I wouldn't even want to tow it round the boatyard with those axles.
Old 17 July 2023, 19:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post

What state were the bearings in?

I do have to dip the rear set on mine & I try & remove the hub & clean it off asap.
The linings on yours have probably come away from the shoes - pushed off by corrosion - & either been chucked by the owner or broken up inside the drum until the bits were fine enough to exit.

Bearings were good as new! New axle for me next year then based on the comments. Don’t have much towing to do this year thankfully

Tags
trailer