Old 28 July 2024, 18:46   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
20 HP 4 Stroke Cowl fell off

That was not good but we were lucky. Took our new Honwave T40 for its maiden voyage towing on a trailer. The Cowl which I am sure was fitted correctly fell off in transit. Were were very lucky as it fell into the back of the boat and no damage was done.

Need to work on a better clipping system. Mind you towing without it on meant about 2 KG less weight on the Transom
Old 07 August 2024, 11:53   #2

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
What brand engine?
Old 08 August 2024, 05:06   #3

Mercury
Old 08 August 2024, 05:45   #4

Good to know.
Old 08 August 2024, 09:44   #5

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Did you figure out why it happened?

As a lazy solution, you could always just stick an outboard cover on it while transporting.
Old 08 August 2024, 23:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Did you figure out why it happened?

As a lazy solution, you could always just stick an outboard cover on it while transporting.
I will travel with the cowl in the boot and a plastic bag or as you say cover on the engine. After this happened I cant trust it any more.
Old 08 August 2024, 23:45   #7

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I will travel with the cowl in the boot and a plastic bag or as you say cover on the engine. After this happened I cant trust it any more.
No thoughts as to why it came off, maybe fixing the problem and sharing your solution. Interested as I've have a Mercury and occasionally tow with it on the transom.
Old 09 August 2024, 07:15   #8

TBH probably just sticking a strap or bungee over it will do it. I've done a huge number of motorway miles with large things strapped to the back of bikes that just don't move. Presumably in your case there's air getting in the underneath or through the pull cord hole (if you have one) and lifting it fairly hard, with the whole thing being at the back of the vehicle slipstream. Maybe a strap rather than a bungee (doesn't have to be crazy ratchet) , it'll not come off if the strap is secure. Anchor points on the smooth top of the cowl might be an issue, so outboard cover covers the gaps which the air is being forced into and prevents that, and provides for grip both on top and below for the strap.
Old 09 August 2024, 07:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
No thoughts as to why it came off, maybe fixing the problem and sharing your solution. Interested as I've have a Mercury and occasionally tow with it on the transom.
To be honest I looked at it quite carefully and I am 99% sure it was on correctly. There does not seem to be an issue with my catch. On my model it is just an over centre catch at the rear and the normal clip at the front. It was on full tilt up and our UK roads are now so bumpy I think it just some how caused the clip to undo.

To be honest the cost of replacing a cowl and the potential danger to other road users has made me not trust it no matter what I do. I tow many things many miles and the last thing you want in your head is worrying about this sort of thing. I will just tow with it off and the cover with a bag. This has the added bonus of a few KG of weight off the transom which can take 90kg apparently by the way.
Old 09 August 2024, 07:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croolis View Post
TBH probably just sticking a strap or bungee over it will do it. I've done a huge number of motorway miles with large things strapped to the back of bikes that just don't move. Presumably in your case there's air getting in the underneath or through the pull cord hole (if you have one) and lifting it fairly hard, with the whole thing being at the back of the vehicle slipstream. Maybe a strap rather than a bungee (doesn't have to be crazy ratchet) , it'll not come off if the strap is secure. Anchor points on the smooth top of the cowl might be an issue, so outboard cover covers the gaps which the air is being forced into and prevents that, and provides for grip both on top and below for the strap.
Far safer and better for you 'head' to just tow with it off and a bag over the engine head. If this happens once I assure you it is not something you want to happen again even if just testing
Old 09 August 2024, 07:38   #11

This is the catch I have. Not very strong to be honest. Simple answer is I aint risking it again

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275441579...Bk9SR_qRkOGmZA
Old 09 August 2024, 08:11   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Obviously got to do what you are comfortable with but if the catches on portable outboards were that poor they'd be flying off at sea all the time. However it is very easy to have the catch on at the back when the front isn't properly located. It hardly looks any different when it's like that so can go unnoticed. Having realised this years ago I always try to pull the front of the cowl upwards when I've just replaced it.
Old 09 August 2024, 12:54   #13

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
This is the catch I have. Not very strong to be honest. Simple answer is I aint risking it again

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275441579...Bk9SR_qRkOGmZA
Does it latch tightly? If the rubber seal/gasket on the cowling is damaged or missing it can make the latch itself a little too easy to flip open and closed.
Old 09 August 2024, 15:23   #14
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
The Cowl Fell Off

"Is that unusual? Oh yeah, at sea? Chance in a million!"

Minute 1:22

Old 09 August 2024, 16:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Does it latch tightly? If the rubber seal/gasket on the cowling is damaged or missing it can make the latch itself a little too easy to flip open and closed.
I am fairly certain it will be ok at sea (it was on the day it happened) and I will have another look at it. But I have got so many other projects on and not wanting the stress of it falling off again on tow. It will sit in the car boot while towing for now.

In my world things do not have to be 100 %.

This whole thread was to alert others to what might happen to them. Having your cowl bounce up the M25 or A12 aint good. So mine is staying off
Old 09 August 2024, 16:37   #16

Just looked at the whole arrangement again and bear in mind this is a very little used outboard. The 'hook' is pop riveted to the front of the cowl and pushes under as it should. The cowl then is seated on the rubber as it should all round. The rubber is good. The click shut over centre is working as it should.

The actual cowl material however flexes an amount and I can easily see how when on full tilt up and if you hit a bump at say 50mph this could cause a flex and allow the over centre catch to ping open. You could bend it a bit but it looks to be very much as designed on mine.

At sea with the engine in the normal running position this is not at all likely to happen from what I can see.

In short as I keep saying my cowl is gonna be in the boot of the car when I am towing.
Old 09 August 2024, 22:05   #17
RIBnet admin team

Post 14... Clarke and Dawe.

Is it so wrong I smile as soon as I press play on that clip?
Old 10 August 2024, 10:26   #18

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
'The ship was towed outside the environment'.

Minute 1:30
Old 10 August 2024, 10:29   #19
RIBnet admin team

>>>outside the environment

Yep that's an excuse I've used many a time.
Old 10 August 2024, 11:17   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I am fairly certain it will be ok at sea
You were fairly certain the cover was on right too!

If it was me, and I was not willing to accept I may have made an installation error* then I would be adding a small retaining rope or wire so that if it come off it can’t go anywhere (also handy at sea if you are bobbing around investigating an issue). Removing and Sticking a bag over it each time is asking for a bag to come flying off and hit a cyclist/motorcyclist in the face, risks bumping cables/pipes that the cowl clears each time and gives you a manky bag (progressively covered in road grime) to store when on the boat. Leaving it open exposes all sorts to wind, stones, weather which it isn’t really designed around.

*it seems likely that if it fell into the boat that it bounced loose/fell off in bumpy low speed travel rather that was ripped off by the force of the wind at 60mph.