Old 25 July 2021, 21:10   #1

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
A couple of weeks in North Cornwall

I have just returned from a couple of weeks in the Polzeath area of North Cornwall.

I go to this area every year, as a fried had a house there, but until now I haven't had much luck with the SIB. 2 years ago I paid to stay on a pontoon at Rock, this was incredibly expensive, the pontoon only had water for about half the tide and the commercial users of the pontoon kept moving my boat. The next year I stopped at the dingy park, this is more reasonable, but it has very soft sand at the bottom of the slipway, which causes the launch wheels to bog down badly.

This year I had a new plan, I kept the boat at the house and moved it around on the roof of the car. I've found two good places to launch - Rock beach near the sailing club and Port Gaverne. The sailing club slipway at Rock goes down onto hard sand with a few small bits of slate. Its hard enough to drive on with a 2wd car and launching wheels don't sink!

Here is the boat at Rock:

Port Gaverne required a £25 annual membership, which is pretty reasonable, even if you are just launching for a week. The beach here is similar: hard sand, which you may drive on with your £25 membership.

The drawback at both launch sites is parking. If you get there early enough there is free on road parking at rock and 6 or so spots at Gaverne. After about 9am, you are looking at a car park at rock, which in the school holidays is full by 11am. At Gaverne, you can park out of the village, but this is a 10 minute walk up a steep hill!

I mainly launched at Gaverne, which is just round the corner from Port Isaac.

Fishing wise I did best out of rock, one day having about 10 bass around Trevose head

Best bass of the week however came from near Port isaac.

Old 26 July 2021, 00:06   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Thats good you got the launching sorted now and well done on the fishing as well
Old 26 July 2021, 07:50   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Port Gaverne is a great site but since the creation of Doc Martin and the new beach side restaurant parking really has become such an ussie that we've almost stopped diving from there

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 08:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Port Gaverne is a great site but since the creation of Doc Martin and the new beach side restaurant parking really has become such an ussie that we've almost stopped diving from there
Parking is definitely the downside, but everywhere in Cornwall is busy at the moment!

Do you spear fish? There were spear fishers out virtually every day from Gaverne during my stay. A couple in air floor honwaves and some bigger ribs (I say big, but probably only 4-5m). It was much more down to earth that the crowd you get at Rock.

The spear fishers out me onto a couple of spots where I caught bass, which was very nice of them.
Old 26 July 2021, 08:16   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Great to see those pics of your outfit and launch location etc.
Old 26 July 2021, 08:26   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
F-RIB will be in Rock for a couple of weeks next month. I've got wide wheels on the launching trolley!
Old 26 July 2021, 08:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
F-RIB will be in Rock for a couple of weeks next month. I've got wide wheels on the launching trolley!
Where are you planning on launching from? The dinghy park really is rubbish!
Old 26 July 2021, 11:09   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
Parking is definitely the downside, but everywhere in Cornwall is busy at the moment!

Do you spear fish? There were spear fishers out virtually every day from Gaverne during my stay. A couple in air floor honwaves and some bigger ribs (I say big, but probably only 4-5m). It was much more down to earth that the crowd you get at Rock.

The spear fishers out me onto a couple of spots where I caught bass, which was very nice of them.
Hi - nope, we scuba and the two don't mix too well.....

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote