Old 13 June 2024, 21:07   #1

Town: Gorran
Length: 3m +
Engine: 8
Advice about the eastern side of the Lizard

Hi all,

I impulse purchased a Talamex QLA300 (3m Air Deck) SIB last year from a local chandlers who’d marked it down to shift stock then I picked up a Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke in April, did my RYA Powerboat Lvl 2 in Fowey and have been having great fun locally diving and spearfishing off it for the past couple of months.

I used to own a 5m RIB with some uni mates and did some big passages up in Scotland on dive trips but we only survived them due to luck as none us had a clue and I’m looking for some advice as this is my first boat in 15 years (already ordered a Boatworld Carbon 365 and a 10hp carburettor to upgrade...).

I’ve been gifted an unexpected long weekend - Friday-Monday - as a Father’s Day present by my wife and have booked a last minute stay in Porthkerris intending to take the boat and do some snorkelling, spearfishing and regular rod + line but the weather is looking a bit sketchy for the first couple of days - F4-6 westerlies with gusts up to 7 on Saturday.

If it was anything other than westerlies I'd already be planning something else for Friday/Saturday - either launching from Mylor and exploring the river or doing some hiking but I've read the area around the Manacles is pretty sheltered in westerlies and I'm wondering if anyone who knows the area can comment on whether I'll be able to (safely) get on the water? Main goal being to anchor up close inshore in 8-10m to fish/snorkel.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 26 June 2024, 21:04   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Missed your post unfortunately & hope the trip went well, but if you're planning another visit then a few thoughts.

Easterly is the one to avoid in that area.

Turn right out of Porthkerris pass Porthoustock, Godrevy beach, Dean Quarry & Lowland Point & you're round into Coverack bay.

I've boated out of Coverack as a summer holiday for 50+ years on & off.

Paris Hotel in Coverack next to the harbour food & drink, coffee etc &
Not aware of any issues with visitors popping into Coverack harbour for a short stay during the day, but it is a drying harbour.
Harbourmaster Chris Pryor works at the Windsurfing Centre & is normally there when they're open.
Safe shallow sandy beach.

I plug close in for bass along the side of Lowland Point, shallowish with rocky bottom & round into Godrevy beach & Dean Quarry area. Usually drifting.
Westin Sandy Andy 22gr/13cm usually effective if they're around - last summer they weren't!
Freelining frozen sandeels is also effective.

I've not fished further round towards Porthkerris than Porthoustock as if I'm out for the day I'm either out onto the whiting ground or Black Head & along its side towards Kennack Sands, the whole of the latter area good close in for bass.

Can't comment on diving/snorkelling as it's not something I do.

Porthkerris will look after you & likely give you all the info you need & if you haven't already got it Navionics Boating app which I've got on my phone. The overlays are really something else!