Old 15 October 2020, 06:09   #21

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1o View Post
On my powerboat course I was advised not to touch a second hand outboard from likes of eBay/gumtree with a barge pole.. as they were normally uncared for and were ready for the dump...

What’s the general consensus on this...

Al
My view is that is very bad advice. I have bought in excess of 12 outboards from Ebay, Gumtree or similar ranging in size from 200hp, 115hp, 75hp, 70, hp, 60 hp, 20, hp, 15hp, 9.8 hp, 3.5hp and a seagull. I still have all of them and generally they have been good purchases. If you are prepared to have a go at them yourself re maintenance they are as others have said very simple beasts (the 2 strokes) and once you get an understanding the scary mystery about them goes away and you are in a far better place.

In short don't be pout off second hand outboards or in my view second hand anything. Just go in with your eyes open and be prepared to learn and get your hands dirty
Old 15 October 2020, 08:01   #22
A1o

Length: no boat
So inspired by some of your advice I decided to branch out and contacted someone I’ve seen selling a few boats online.. I told them I was looking for a 3.2 with a 6hp outboard

They came back offering a 3.2 with a 4hp outboard for £600, although no expert the image I was provided of the sib didn’t fill me with confidence and I felt it best to keep looking... obviously I would of viewed in person prior to any purchase!!

Most importantly I’m not disregarding the sellers experience or professionalism, yet I asked if a 4hp was capable of powering the boat effectively at sea... do you agree with the below response... or is this someone looking for a quick sale??

“the dinghy is designed to be used with a 2.3-4hp outboard with 3 people on it. I've owned a few 6hp outboards and there is no way I would put one on an inflatable dinghy, it would be unstable at the back. They are very heavy and i would struggle to carry it down a beach too. I think the person you were talking to meant inflatable rib?!”

Views appreciated as always..
Old 15 October 2020, 08:24   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
......contacted someone I’ve seen selling a few boats online.. I told them I was looking for a 3.2 with a 6hp outboard

They came back offering a 3.2 with a 4hp outboard for £600, although no expert the image I was provided of the sib didn’t fill me with confidence and I felt it best to keep looking... obviously I would of viewed in person prior to any purchase!!

Make sure it isn’t Dan Cooper or one of his firms. He trades under several names in the Cambridge/Bury StEdmunds area. Beware.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 08:31   #24

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
So inspired by some of your advice I decided to branch out and contacted someone I’ve seen selling a few boats online.. I told them I was looking for a 3.2 with a 6hp outboard

Most importantly I’m not disregarding the sellers experience or professionalism, yet I asked if a 4hp was capable of powering the boat effectively at sea... do you agree with the below response... or is this someone looking for a quick sale??

“the dinghy is designed to be used with a 2.3-4hp outboard with 3 people on it. I've owned a few 6hp outboards and there is no way I would put one on an inflatable dinghy, it would be unstable at the back. They are very heavy and i would struggle to carry it down a beach too. I think the person you were talking to meant inflatable rib?!”

I think you picked a bad seller to contact from an advert. You need to beware of sellers selling multiple items as they are often chancers buying and selling. You need to find a seller with single items they have been using but for one reason or another they cant use or have upgraded. Theses are the sellers you will get a good deal from. As for asking sellers about suitability then probably best to take their advice with a pinch of salt & ask here where you will gain unbiased advice.
I avoid buying from dealers if possible unless buying new as they will always have their profit margin factored in & I'd rather buy from a previous owner & get an idea how its been used & looked after while chatting to them. Think about buying a car off a forecourt, you dont know if the previous owner was a spotty teen with his cap on backwards or a little old lady trotting to the shops every few days, but which previous owner would you rather buy from?
Old 15 October 2020, 08:58   #25

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
"a spotty teen with his cap on backwards or a little old lady trotting to the shops every few days, but which previous owner would you rather buy from?

You wouldn't say that if you'd had seen my mother drive
Old 15 October 2020, 09:22   #26

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
That's a trader trying to get you to buy what he's got.
Old 15 October 2020, 09:24   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I've owned a few 6hp outboards and there is no way I would put one on an inflatable dinghy, it would be unstable at the back. They are very heavy and i would struggle to carry it down a beach too.

Yep... Utter utter rubbish... walk away from any dealings with that person.
Old 15 October 2020, 09:24   #28

Town: Colchester
Quote:

I would pay very little head to that advice. I think he mush have been talking about quite a small tender inflatable.

Many people are not aware of the whole Sibbing concept
Old 15 October 2020, 09:46   #29

I've just had a quick look at Suzuki's current website for some idea as to small outboard weights. Appreciate these are new engines but it debunks what he's told you.
The DF6A 6hp weighs 24kg.
The DF4A 4hp weighs 24kg.
Old 15 October 2020, 09:49   #30
A1o

Glad I put it to you guys now!!

Was allegedly an Avon 3.2... I think my suspicions arose after seeing an identical package advertised in a nearby area a couple of days before for a couple of hundred quid less!!!

I suspect he buys low to sell at a profit... no real issue with that I guess that’s principles of business, though as someone stated earlier in the thread you want to know some genuine history re usage and care etc..

The search continues... any recommended books specifically aimed at sibs??

Also what other equipment should I be purchasing, Life Jacket, Radio, anchor etc??

Also any further courses recommended, I believe the radio course is mandatory..

Thanks all

Al
Old 15 October 2020, 09:54   #31

Whilst it's tempting to rush out & buy shiny things best to wait until you've bought the boat.
See what comes with it then take it from there.
Old 15 October 2020, 10:11   #32

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Al, I don't know the area where you want to SIB/fish, but this weekend looks OK weatherwise. It may be an idea if you get the chance to go to a nearby popular launching area (if there are any). Just to get a feel for what others are using and to see things in the flesh.
Old 15 October 2020, 10:21   #33
A1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Whilst it's tempting to rush out & buy shiny things best to wait until you've bought the boat.
See what comes with it then take it from there.

Cheers mate, I think your bang on the mark... plus I’m sure the mrs may have something to say about it as well, I guess I’m thinking more long term as most adverts I see are for boat and outboard only..

Re courses i just want to be educated as best I can be... from experience in life I’ve learnt most on the go... but better to be as prepared as I can.

Thanks again

Al
Old 15 October 2020, 10:24   #34
A1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Al, I don't know the area where you want to SIB/fish, but this weekend looks OK weatherwise. It may be an idea if you get the chance to go to a nearby popular launching area (if there are any). Just to get a feel for what others are using and to see things in the flesh.

Thanks Steve, unfortunately I’m at work this weekend, though have managed to sneak in late shore fishing session down at Walton on Friday night..

I’m North Essex so plenty of coastline round here to look at.
Old 15 October 2020, 10:32   #35

Be an idea to look up the original spec of any sib you're thinking of buying to see what engine size & weight range is recommended by the manufacturer.
You might be surprised as to the upper limit of some, but you do need to keep in mind what you're able to physically manhandle.
I suspect a lot of sibs were fitted with small engines as they were bought to use as tenders.
Random google: https://shop.chastheboat.co.uk/colle...luminium-floor shows max 15hp.
Having seen a sib of similar size with a 15hp being used by one of the younger villagers it went like the clappers - he did kneel well forward!
Old 15 October 2020, 11:52   #36

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Make sure it isn’t Dan Cooper or one of his firms. He trades under several names in the Cambridge/Bury StEdmunds area. Beware.
Outboards 12, Cambridge Outboards etc all Dan Cooper . Avoid like the plague. Many people including myself have had dealings with him , he's well known as a rogue trader.
Old 15 October 2020, 16:10   #37

Town: Wigan
Boat name: ?
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 2S18hp 2S15hp 2s9.8
Costco online have a 3.2 air floor sib for £529.00 delivered. Rated for 15hp.
If I was starting out again.... would be looking at this.
No dodgy repairs and under warranty.
Tried to up load a picture..... but not happenings. I only shop there ..... nought to do with me.
They also sell bigger Zodiac sibs.
Old 15 October 2020, 18:38   #38

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
For what it's worth, I used to have a slightly bigger SIB with a 3 hp 2 stroke and used it for diving trips in the Scottish sea lochs and inshore off Oban. So the answer is definitely "Yes it will do that."

However, it is unlikely to plane if there are 2 people on board, or the water is anything other than perfectly smooth. That limits you to displacement speeds and may be a problem if there are fast currents, tides, or a strong headwind.

Earlier this year, I turned back from a trip up a (very high) River Trent because my 3 hp was making heavy work of it.

A 4 hp motor is a third more powerful than a 3 hp. However, if you have doubts, don't buy. You have to be happy with your boat.
Old 15 October 2020, 22:18   #39
A1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al C View Post
Costco online have a 3.2 air floor sib for £529.00 delivered. Rated for 15hp.
If I was starting out again.... would be looking at this.
No dodgy repairs and under warranty.
Tried to up load a picture..... but not happenings. I only shop there ..... nought to do with me.
They also sell bigger Zodiac sibs.

Thank you mate, had a look couldn’t see it!!

Would love a Honwave I think, but budget may prevent!
Old 15 October 2020, 22:25   #40
A1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
For what it's worth, I used to have a slightly bigger SIB with a 3 hp 2 stroke and used it for diving trips in the Scottish sea lochs and inshore off Oban. So the answer is definitely "Yes it will do that."

However, it is unlikely to plane if there are 2 people on board, or the water is anything other than perfectly smooth. That limits you to displacement speeds and may be a problem if there are fast currents, tides, or a strong headwind.

Earlier this year, I turned back from a trip up a (very high) River Trent because my 3 hp was making heavy work of it.

A 4 hp motor is a third more powerful than a 3 hp. However, if you have doubts, don't buy. You have to be happy with your boat.

Thank you for your input, I can’t believe how much knowledge I have gained from you guys in last couple of days!!

I think as I guide I’m now looking at a 3-3.2m sib with a 6hp outboard..

Been searching EBay,Gumtree and other second hand sites.. slightly worried about buying a dud so trying to gain as much insight as possible prior to purchase..