Old 05 August 2024, 20:05   #1

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Aerotec….reloaded

Having regrettably sold our late model grey Aerotec (with the truncated cone ends) back in 2016 to help fund a rib purchase, I’ve often wondered was it really as good as I thought it was back in the day, or is this simply a case of rose tinted specs syndrome. Returning to sibbing soon after becoming a ribnobber I have to admit it took quite a few years and many more sibs, to finally accept there is indeed ‘life after an Aerotec’

Still niggled me though and late last year the opportunity arose to purchase an old 2004 model Aerotec, in go faster red, at a very reasonable price from a respected member of this parish who’d acquired as a package just for the motor. Tubes a tad battle scarred but a good clean floor with only one repair, sound transom free from additional holes, and most importantly glued seams still attached. Nearly a year on and thought I’d better get this little bugger inflated and on the water before those glued seams give up the ghost.

Luckily seams have wintered well, tubes and floor all holding pressure, Yam 15 two stroke on 40mm packers trimmed out on pin three, 12l fuel tank, anchor bucket, kit bag plus me, so good to go.

Damn! It’s just as good as I remembered. All those years of therapy, countless sibs, that feeling yes I’m finally cured there is indeed life after an Aerotec, all down the pan and I’m now back to square one!

Haha! Not all good though, they ain’t perfect, and won’t suit everyone. Probably a niche boat for a limited market. Usual gripes include transom too low coupled with the lack of a hard edge for clean water exit can result in some serious splashing and coming back into the boat with some (read many) motors. Other dislikes include not much room and quite narrow for a 3.8m boat plus deep V of floor and central hinge not conducive to standing/moving around, and pretty draggy V hull requires more hp than most.

Not for me though, I can live with all its foibles. A comfy ride just pottering but push on in any chop or swell then it really comes alive, and still a cut above the rest. More like a mini rib if honest it’ll cut through chop, banks in the turns and ride through surf with the pointy bow. When it gets rough hanker down on the floor and it feels so planted and secure. Even sitting on the seat you feel as if you’re sitting in the boat rather than on it.

When the inevitable happens and this old Aerotec falls apart at the seams I’ll at least have a full pattern to get a Chinese copy manufactured…..with a few tweaks to make it even better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8990.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	145861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9004.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	145862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8863.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	145863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9029.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	145864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9039.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	145866  

Old 05 August 2024, 22:11   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Looks in good nic chipko, and I like your da jar revue. I've fancied one for a while, but I know it would be a solo use sib because of all the foibles you mention.
Old 05 August 2024, 23:01   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Cracking report Chipko and supports why we have stuck with ours.

Why would you say a solo use SIB for you Steve... the dog?

If that's made anyone think I wouldn't mind trying one Comberboy has priced his very fairly on here assuming it's still available.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f21/2014-b...5-a-91124.html
Old 06 August 2024, 07:07   #4

Oops! Senior moment alert. Just noticed wake shot in my post above is the wrong boat. Doh!
I’ll pop the right one on here, hopefully.

That wrong pic was the recently tested Boatworld Cruiser 380 tunnel hull sib and seeing that reminded me just how draggy the Aerotec hulls are. Same 15hp motor and 11” prop, one up plus kit the Aerotec only managed just over 18 knots compared to 23 knots in the Cruiser. Our other cats, Elling and Kolibri also nail 23 knots with the 15. Okay the Aerotec would benefit lowering the prop pitch to 10” but doubt top speed would increase more than the odd knot.

Mr F, yes that late model Aerotec for sale does look tempting. Bit too far away for me though and I’d have to shift the motor on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9018.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	145867  
Old 06 August 2024, 07:16   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Hey Chipko.

I did have a little smile when I saw this thread.
You probably don't remember us communicating about the various options of Cat, because I was completely committed to one, but then when a 380 Aerotec came up I reverted to type and brought that instead.

My lads and I had so much fun in their one a few years ago that I just couldn't resist another.

It looks like you are enjoying your 'new' one already, so have fun.
Old 06 August 2024, 07:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Why would you say a solo use SIB for you Steve... the dog?
Yes, I don't think she would settle being so confined, she does like to move around.
Old 06 August 2024, 10:54   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Fair point. Our dog and the previous one are a bit smaller and probably tuck away better. Mind you current lad spends much of his time hanging his paws over the tube looking in the water.
Old 06 August 2024, 20:25   #8

Hi Nasher,

Yes remember our cat comms and you guys going for the Aerotec

Glad we now have another Aerotec in the fleet but to be honest having a hoot with these catsibs. For us, at the present at least, they’re proving the way to go especially in the 3.8 ish size….light, roomy, very capable, efficient and most importantly huge fun. Quite fancy trying a TrueKit Discovery next, just the carriage and import duties putting me off to be honest.
Old 06 August 2024, 21:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
For us, at the present at least, they’re proving the way to go especially in the 3.8 ish size….light, roomy, very capable, efficient and most importantly huge fun.
Hi chipko, are you referring to the Cruiser 380?
Old 06 August 2024, 23:37   #10

Not particularly Steve. Although most of the comments do apply, just couldn’t live with the colour.