Old 26 April 2018, 17:44   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Beach morning permanent anchor setup?

I'm a member of a beach boat club, we store our SIB, RIB and other small boats etc in the boat compound 100 meters from the water and we launch and winch recover direct to the water via the steep stone beach, there is no slipway or any morning facilities at all. The issue with this is that we have to beach our boats every time we want to come in and winch them half way up the beach till we want to get back out later which can be up a good few times in a day.

I thinking about a fixed anchor buoy set up just off shore a few meters so we can anchor up and wade in to shore and wade out to the anchored boat thus save the never ending beaching and launching.

First off what's the law on making an offshore fixed buoy anchor? (U.K)

Secondly what's the best way to make one? The water current is very strong as the beach drop of steep. Life guard swimming markers often move or disappear. I think the weight needs to be flat to prevent rolling and movement something like 5 paving slabs stacked with holes drilled in the centre of all for the anchor line?

I have seen a similar set up using round containers filled with cement but I think they will roll and move location?
Old 26 April 2018, 17:56   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post

If the waters aren't controlled by a harbour authority then it would probably be the "Crown Estates" you'd need a licence from. Or just play "silly buggers" until someone pings you about it and they may never.
Old 26 April 2018, 18:06   #3

Thanks, Dropping anchored just off shore is a pain as your left with meters and meters of unused line to tie and secure, a few members just drop anchor with their full 20 plus meter line and thus drift, boats end up get entangled and even wash up on the beach it's carnage lol,

Ive had guys tie their boat onto my personal anchor line and then wade ashore like I do, that's fine but when I want to go back out I have to find them or disconnect their boat from my anchor (as I want to take it with me) and drag their boat on shore! a fixed buoy would be bliss! I'm now thinking to get the biggest folding anchor and a buoy and just deploy that on the beach for myself and other can use it while I'm boating and when I'm done I will pull it up and it's not there.
Old 26 April 2018, 21:03   #4

Length: 3m +
Quote:
I thinking about a fixed anchor buoy set up just off shore a few meters so we can anchor up and wade in to shore and wade out to the anchored boat thus save the never ending beaching and launching.
Your answer is there - in your own question ;-)
Quote:
My understanding is that you have a right to anchor as part of the normal process of navigation. Normal navigation doesn't mean leaving your anchor on the sea bed for weeks on end with no boat attached to the other end.. ...its a mooring. Legally you need to sort out the rental with crown estates.

Quote:
Secondly what's the best way to make one? The water current is very strong as the beach drop of steep. Life guard swimming markers often move or disappear. I think the weight needs to be flat to prevent rolling and movement something like 5 paving slabs stacked with holes drilled in the centre of all for the anchor line?
A hole through slabs adds weakness, and friction and a load of issues. Anything concrete may not be as ideal as you think - it isn't as heavy as you expect in the sea. You would do far better with a stainless U set in concrete onto which you shackle (and mouse) a chain. If you happened to be able to find one - an old train wheel is perfect - heavier and even though it "could" roll - it wont!

Some say you want a small concave on the base as it creates a seal with the "ground" making it harder to move.

Quote:
I have seen a similar set up using round containers filled with cement but I think they will roll and move location?
If its heavy enough on a soft bed it will bed in and becomes hard to roll... think car tyre on sand...

Quote:
Dropping anchored just off shore is a pain as your left with meters and meters of unused line to tie and secure,
Why? You presumably keep the line somewhere when out... so leave it there. drop the hook, tie it off on a cleat etc - rest is still where it is stored? It should be easy...

Quote:
a few members just drop anchor with their full 20 plus meter line and thus drift, boats end up get entangled and even wash up on the beach it's carnage lol,
Why wont they get mixed up in your mooring?

Quote:
Ive had guys tie their boat onto my personal anchor line and then wade ashore like I do, that's fine but when I want to go back out I have to find them or disconnect their boat from my anchor (as I want to take it with me) and drag their boat on shore! a fixed buoy would be bliss!
You'll come in to find 3 boats attached to your mooring and no space for you?

Quote:
I'm now thinking to get the biggest folding anchor and a buoy and just deploy that on the beach for myself and other can use it while I'm boating and when I'm done I will pull it up and it's not there.
Close... but still no prize...

See: from
Joel's Navigator Site: Clothesline Anchoring Revisited

If you want to come and go through the day - simply replace the boat in the image with a buoy... then attach to the buoy when you come ashore.

You can come and go without getting your feet wet!
Old 26 April 2018, 21:08   #5

This is what it looks like on the water:

Old 26 April 2018, 21:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
This is what it looks like on the water:

I do know about the pulley anchor system firstly there is nothing on the beach to tie on to so that would mean a further shore ground anchor, secondly others will get the pull lines in their prop, also it would be an obstruction for the swimmers, but for interest the latest version uses elastic bunjie so once you beach the boat and jump out the boat automatically pulls itself out to the anchor, just make sure you got the bow line tight in your hand before you jump lol anyway I'm happy to wade in as were only talking 6 week summer holiday use, With regard to a concrete block with a set in steel U the block would have to be large and flat as a pose to say a dustbin cut down half it length and filled with cement?
What kind of weight would not move I'm thinking at least 100kg is needed, remember I have to deploy this monster from a boat lol but I can use a speed boat or dory to do it. I guess the block would best be made/set in a wood mold?
Old 27 April 2018, 06:22   #7

Trying to specify weights is hard. You aren't putting it on an unmanned mooring in 80+MPH winds for days on end like a yacht might.

My dinghy sailing club uses small pick up buoys next to the slip to let you drop a boat in off the trolley, and take the trolley out while single handing. The boats involved will be smaller than yours and weigh less. BUT they can have sails up (although not sheeted in) so may have some decent forces on it. Certainly more than your tide will be producing. They use an old car tyre filled with concrete and scrap metal (concrete has some inherent buoyancy) with a U bolt set it it. Wouldn't leave it overnight or even without someone nearby (and would be worried if other boats tied up to me. Weight must be < 20kg, probably far less. Join 2 together with a chain and put an up-riser on the middle of the chain... It will be more effective than 2 on top of each other.

But if you do it, others will too. Soon you'll have loads of moorings and people complaining about getting in the way of swimmers etc

I wouldn't use elastic bunjee in a tide
Old 27 April 2018, 08:14   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If the cost of a second anchor puts you off the annual cost of a crown estate license will be even worse! I have a screw in anchor I use ashore which was about a tenner at Screwfix.

Running moorings (the more normal name than clothes line) can be set up with sinking rope so that there is little to entangle ropes and props - but if your people are managing to make a meal of anchoring I wouldn’t bother the system stops working when there is a boat or anchor entangled in it!

If you are happy to swim or wade ashore I’d just perfect the art of anchoring nearly. I’m not sure how you end up with a mess, but if for some reason it is unavoidable perhaps the investment on either a second short anchor rode or even full anchor set up would be better?
Old 27 April 2018, 08:34   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Running mornings

FTFY [emoji106]
I thought this thread was about last nights dodgy curry
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 10:26   #10

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
I'm a member of a beach boat club, we store our SIB, RIB and other small boats etc in the boat compound 100 meters from the water and we launch and winch recover direct to the water via the steep stone beach, there is no slipway or any morning facilities at all. The issue with this is that we have to beach our boats every time we want to come in and winch them half way up the beach till we want to get back out later which can be up a good few times in a day.

An old engine block usually works well as long as is can "settle" into the seabed, wont work on rock.
Old 27 April 2018, 18:32   #11

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
I do this every time were on holiday I made 4 weights from 20litre oil drums the first one I made with a long 30mm nylon rope then the other 3 have a short loop set in the concrete all you do is drop the first one over board then feed the next 3 down the rope attach your body and hey presto instant mooring
Old 27 April 2018, 19:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I do this every time were on holiday I made 4 weights from 20litre oil drums the first one I made with a long 30mm nylon rope then the other 3 have a short loop set in the concrete all you do is drop the first one over board then feed the next 3 down the rope attach your body and hey presto instant mooring

That sounds good
I have some fire bricks that are very heavy I might make a weight out of them I think
Old 30 April 2018, 19:33   #13

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I suppose it's a variation on concrete wellingtons......
Old 30 April 2018, 20:01   #14

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
If I intend staying in an area for a while .. I make a temporary mooring too.

At low tide ..preferably on spring tides ... I insert a galvanised caravan securing screw ... around 3 ft in length.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/x1-Galvanis.../dp/B017WDVVDM

Obviously it only works on sandy or gravel bottoms .. not solid rock.

Its held my hardshell boats in strong winds too..so would have no problem holding a small inflatable. A length of chain..rope and buoy and its done. A length of metal pipe acts as a lever to assist screwing it into the seabed.
Old 01 May 2018, 06:05   #15

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi all

You could also try Anchor Buddy google it.
Old 01 May 2018, 19:10   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3235 View Post
Hi all

You could also try Anchor Buddy google it.

That's the new upto date bunjie anchor system I mentioned.
Not what I wanted though.
Old 01 May 2018, 20:58   #17

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
Old Tractor tyre filled with concrete with a stainless eye/bar cast in.

Cheap, robust and you "roll" it into place !

engine blocks/train wheels and the like are all fine but awkward to site+ can cost.............

Old tyres are free and cement is cheap.
Old 03 May 2018, 16:07   #18

Town: kent
Length: no boat
how about a large drum filled with scrap iron and cement 🤔
Old 03 May 2018, 17:04   #19

Hopefully I can deploy something of such weight as a permanent anchor but will soon find out via the club on the law/rules of this. . . I think it will not be allowed so deploying a day fixed anchor will be the solution.