Old 18 April 2023, 20:24   #61

Town: Hayling Island
Make: Excel Volante 390
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum.
I picked up an Excel Volante 390 today, I was going to get the Volaire but after offering up one of my Beachmaster wheels to the transom I can see the issue with the inflatable floor hanging down, and the problem of adding spacers.

I fitted a pair to my previous sib, a Zodiac 310 Aerodeck with no real issues apart from having to cut some recesses into the plastic strips that hold the back of the air deck down, to allow me to fit washers, seals etc to the inside.
Steve, did you have to make any similar adjustments when fitting your wheels, or does your Excel not have an inflatable floor ?
Old 18 April 2023, 21:16   #62

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi sturaffs and welcome to Ribnet.

No I've not had to make any cuts or adjustment to the plastic trims that hold down the airdeck. I'll take a couple of pics/video of the inside of the transom to show where the bolts come through the transom on Thursday.
My SD360 is the smaller sibling to your SD390, so it should be exactly the same.
Old 19 April 2023, 07:00   #63

Many thanks for that, some photos would be really handy.
Old 20 April 2023, 22:32   #64

Beachmaster Type Wheels in use

Managed to get on the water today and try out the new wheels.
Set up on the car park, probably 120 metres from the waters edge.
It was easy to move Redneck across the car park, across the relatively hard packed gravel "beach" and down the slipway.
Launched with the wheels down, rowed out slightly from the shore and lifted the transom wheels to the raised position from inside of Redneck.
Out on the water, the transom wheels didn't get in the way of the outboard, didn't shake and rattle and didn't impede the water flow out from the transom.
Stopped off for lunch at a small beach. Tilted the OB, lowered the transom wheels from inside of Redneck and rowed to the shore. Stepped out into "shallow" water and pulled Redneck out onto the beach.
Reverse process back to the slipway and back to the truck.
Easy, simple and never once did I think that the transom wheels were about to collapse, shear or bend.
After 3 sets of different transom wheels which were not fit for purpose, I wish I would have bought these from day one.

The last picture shows the transom wheel fixing bolts from inside the transom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	142483   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	142484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	142485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	142486  
Old 21 April 2023, 05:46   #65

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Glad you got there in the end. Have those washers "cupped"? If so I would change them for some thicker ones that stay flush to the transom.
Old 21 April 2023, 07:48   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Glad you got there in the end. Have those washers "cupped"? If so I would change them for some thicker ones that stay flush to the transom.

Hadn't noticed, thanks
Old 21 April 2023, 09:33   #67

Thanks for putting the pictures up Steve.
My wheels have just arrived so shall fit them this weekend.
When fitting my previous set, I put the bolts through from the outside and used domed nuts on the inside, I had the same problem with the washers getting cupped.
Is your transducer removable or fixed ?
I still have to fit mine so was wondering if I could fit the wheels a bit further apart closer to the tubes and fit the transducer just to the left of the starboard wheel.
Glad you like the wheels, I only used my last sib a few times but the wheels where a pleasure to use.
When I was at Excel on Tuesday, the engineer said they had only just found out about beachmaster type wheels , never came accross them before.
Old 21 April 2023, 10:19   #68

Hi Sturaffs,

No my transducer isn't fixed but I tend not to remove it, just tilt it up before I pack Redneck away.
I had thought of fitting the wheels as wide as possible and fixing the transducer as you suggest. Two reasons why I didn't - 1/ I thought the spray web between the transom and the tube would hinder putting the wheels up and down.
2/ I wanted to fit the transducer as far away as possible from the prop so as not to get any false readings.

I belive Excel are now in Lichfield and Terry Wright hasn't anything to do with them anymore, is that the case?
Old 21 April 2023, 10:33   #69

I thought the spray web may come into contact if I went too far apart , I'll offer them up and get an idea as to clearance.
I'm planning on fitting the wheels before my engine arrives, Tohatsu 20, there shouldn't be any issues with the wheels touching the engine, should there ??.
Or would I be better waiting ?.

Yes Terry has now left, Steve has taken over, I never met him as he was out on the water testing boats.
Old 21 April 2023, 10:48   #70

I don't think the wheels will come into contact with the spray web, it's that the web will be in the way of putting the wheels up and down from inside the SIB.
Tohatsu 20 and Merc 20 are practically the same dimensions, my wheels are approx 50mm from the tubes and there is loads of clearance between the wheels and the OB.
Old 21 April 2023, 11:37   #71

Thanks for that, safe to crack on with the fitting then.
Old 21 April 2023, 18:38   #72
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Your outfit is looking really sorted now Steve (in that long shot).
Old 21 April 2023, 21:33   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Your outfit is looking really sorted now Steve (in that long shot).
Thanks David, it took a while to get there, but I'm now really happy with the set up for the way we use it.
Old 23 April 2023, 10:24   #74

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Good to see you on the water again Steve.

I’ve still to find time to investigate if these wheels will be suitable for the Volaire, my main concerns being the clearance beneath the deep air keel bit, the bottom flaps we have, and also the height the wheels will lift to clear the ground.

I did see a set on a honwave at the boatyard we launched and I believe it will be quite close either way, but didn’t have time to look properly and the tyres were flat anyway so difficult to judge.

You find the release mechanism secure enough on the wheels?

Might have been on here that I saw someone had cut and then added velcro to the top spray flaps so they could be moved out of the way, (but just another layer of complication when landing etc I suppose)

Launching/docking from a floating pier thing was great for the week we were away and at £30 for the week a bonus

But when landing for leg stretches or to explore castles etc we just couldn’t get the wheels to work from inside the boat at all (worse than ever due to the Y piece being all bent out of shape)
Even with us both wading in the water they are a bloody nightmare and the wheels are scuffing the bottom now too!

It resulted in a few deepish scratches underneath which I think the wheels might have avoided, but could almost land with just wellies on.

Don’t really feel safe with waders on the sib after watching one of Donny’s videos on the subject, along with the drowning in a small loch of someone I knew, so looking at other options wetsuit/dry trousers etc

Just need PD to lead the way with the volaire and your wheels, so I can copy his ideas if the are a success
Old 23 April 2023, 10:39   #75

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Maybe the dimensions would help see if they would be suitable?

https://www.beachmaster.com/dimensions-and-templates
Old 23 April 2023, 16:03   #76

Hi Brian, it was good to get out even if it was only for a few hours. Really looking forward to early July when we go to Oban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
I’ve still to find time to investigate if these wheels will be suitable for the Volaire, my main concerns being the clearance beneath the deep air keel bit, the bottom flaps we have, and also the height the wheels will lift to clear the ground.
I don't think they would be suitable without the modification suggested by chipko in #18 and it's a lot of money to outlay without knowing for certain.

Quote:
You find the release mechanism secure enough on the wheels?
No problem whatsoever, they may be a generic copy but they are very well made.

Quote:
Launching/docking from a floating pier thing was great for the week we were away and at £30 for the week a bonus
When we went to Mylor last year we had a slot on the visitors floating pontoon. Absolutely brilliant, took away all the hassle of launching and retrieving, Diane loved it.

Quote:
Don’t really feel safe with waders on the sib after watching one of Donny’s videos on the subject, along with the drowning in a small loch of someone I knew, so looking at other options wetsuit/dry trousers etc
I got some YAK kayaking dry pants which are very good:-

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/keeping-dry-85885.html

It may be an idea to have a word with Excel about transom wheels specifically for the Volaire. Now that Terry is no longer involved with the company, the new owners may be a bit more receptive to having a discussion about finding something suitable or maybe even experimenting with the Beachmaster type of wheels.
Old 23 April 2023, 19:48   #77

For those of you looking to purchase the Beachmaster type wheels, I have both the copy versions and the original pair which I bought last year but have only been wet twice.

The originals are far superior to the copies, really solid, I found a lot of movement on the copies, and the little stainless pins wobble about.
I doubt whether they will stand the test of time.

I have chosen to fit my old wheels to my new sib, and sell the new wheels with my old sib, may sound daft but if you have them both to compare then they are chalk and cheese.

All I am really saying is if you are happy with the copies that's fine, but I would rather spend the extra on the genuine article, but that's just me being picky.
Old 23 April 2023, 21:55   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturaffs View Post
The originals are far superior to the copies, really solid, I found a lot of movement on the copies, and the little stainless pins wobble about.
I doubt whether they will stand the test of time.
I wonder if there are different manufacturers of the copycat wheels. The wheels I have are very solid (admittedly I did have to tighten the bolts/nuts before I used them, but that is advised on the box and in the instructions) and appear to be very well made. The stainless steel pins do rotate, but don't wobble about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturaffs View Post
All I am really saying is if you are happy with the copies that's fine, but I would rather spend the extra on the genuine article, but that's just me being picky.
The originals are now over twice the price of the copies - £275 + Vat + import duty = approx £380
Even if the stainless steel pins fall out, which is questionable, they can easily be repaired.

I don't have the originals to compare as you have, so maybe the quality of the originals is worth the extra £220.
Old 24 April 2023, 18:38   #79

I can't remember the exact price I paid, but I'm sure it was around the £ 250 mark.
So yes, agreed they are a lot more expensive now so if the copies will stand up to any punishment then I don't see a problem with them.
It's just that I had the two to compare with each other.
Old 04 May 2023, 07:32   #80

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I just ordered a set of these Chinese knock-offs from chas Newman. Unfortunately one arrived with a forming crack in the aluminium, so I've got to see about getting a replacement.

Another concern I have is the small bolts, I think these are probably M6. On my old launching wheels the washers started cupping through the transom, due to the high local loading. Having seen the washers pulling through on Steve's post as well, that is definitely a danger here, so I will have to fabricate a plate to spread the load and get some longer bolts.
The bearing area of the quick release nubbin isn't particularly big either, so it might mean a plate both inside and outside the transom. The extra messing about makes the beachmaster ones start to look more attractive!