Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
https://boatworld.co.uk/boatworld-air-deck-360
Old 25 June 2024, 15:27   #23

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
I also looked at those and challenged boatworld on the specified weight of 51kg. If that is correct it is heavy for an air deck.
Old 25 June 2024, 17:17   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>> specified weight of 51kg. If that is correct it is heavy for an air deck.

Only 3kg more than the Honwave T38 and 4kg more than the very lightly built Zodiac Cadet Aero 3.5. So it's in the ball park.

The properly light air deck is the Aerotec at 43kg for 3.8m.

Also with the Boatworld design Tonus linked, as with other separate air floor models for the ultimate in small pack and lighter weight take out the HP air floor. We do this with the Aerotec and at 35kg without floor it is so easy to handle while packed when single handed lifting. Also as the bag is so much smaller packing tight into the car is easier.
Old 25 June 2024, 18:20   #25

I've looked at the Boatworld 360 (only in the showroom) and it looks a good sib, although I'm not keen on the colour combo. I personally feel it's better quality than there air V decks.
At 51kg which can be split into 2 bags, sib in one - deck oar's and bench seats in the other, I think it would be a good light and manageable option.
Old 25 June 2024, 19:13   #26

We manage to move our T38 about quite easily and getting it set up is very easy. Most of the time is spent waiting while the twin itiwits do their work.

If I were you I would go for the quality of Honwave. Boatworld are good but not quite up to muster. There is quite a price difference granted and with the Boatworld you do get 2 seats
Old 25 June 2024, 20:22   #27

Tonus, as much as this pains me to say it, I actually agree with Easedalenovice.
If a V floor is the right sib for you (it's not for me and a lot of others who prefer a flat deck with a "bilge") then I would go for the T38 ie3 as opposed to the Boatworld Air V.
The quality difference is palpable and IMO well worth the extra couple of hundred.
Old 25 June 2024, 22:24   #28

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Thanks Steve, Fen and Easedalenovice! The Boatworld 360 is a little heavier but good point that it can be split into two. The Honwave T38 would seem the front runner - so many people seem to rate the quality and seaworthiness. if I could keep my Rib I’d have the best of both worlds… don’t know if I can justify that though TBH!

Trying a flat deck appeals too because my Rib has a V deck and it’s not the most comfortable to move around in or even sit in.

With the kids growing up and starting to leave home I could eventually be in the market for a light 320 with a lighter 9.8hp - then I’d have loads of options for solo launching… but that’s another thread altogether!!
Old 25 June 2024, 22:36   #29

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The Honwave is not a V hull! It's slightly less flat than a flat bottom SIB...

There are generally three types of SIB floor.

Flat, like flat.

Slightly not flat (ie a sausage type) - mostly still very flat and slammy in any sort of wave especially a head sea- the Avon Y Class is probably the highest performing but a scarce, heavy thing.

And the true deep(er) V hull (but still way outclassed by a true deep V RIB ie the Searider) and that *was* the Bombard Aerotec.
Old 25 June 2024, 22:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
With the kids growing up and starting to leave home I could eventually be in the market for a light 320 with a lighter 9.8hp - then I’d have loads of options for solo launching… but that’s another thread altogether!!
Then why rush! The past two weeks have given me a different perspective on "blow & go". I have been to so many places that I couldn't launch from with my current set up, but with a 9.8 2s and a light 3 mtr sib I definitely could have. Decisions, decisions??
Maybe have both? Thinking you or am I thinking of myself.
Old 25 June 2024, 22:49   #31

Tonus, I'd really, really (as per the Which SIB? sticky) consider buying a used big name boat - nearly all of us on here for a long time have been through many SIBs and never get it right first time. Buy used, don't lose a packet (or again like many of us have done - look for a boat/engine/trailer to split/sell/profit on) try it, sell it, move on to the next.

That sticky was written 10 years ago after so many similar queries and 10 years on the same queries come up still again and again - all the time and so often the OP posts like you have, full of enthusiasm and we never get to hear back...but an awful lot of SIB's barely used appear on eBay (Honwaves particularly) and are advertised as bought brand new, used once (or twice)...

It's all a compromise - just like cars, campers, bikes, caravans etc.

Sadly there is very little development in SIBs and with the demise of (new) BATs the choice is even less. Lots of rebranded Chinese SIBs to chose from but they are really all very similar in performance.
Old 25 June 2024, 22:50   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
The Honwave is not a V hull! It's slightly less flat than a flat bottom SIB...

There are generally three types of SIB floor.

Flat, like flat.

Slightly not flat (ie a sausage type) - mostly still very flat and slammy in any sort of wave especially a head sea- the Avon Y Class is probably the highest performing but a scarce, heavy thing.

And the true deep(er) V hull (but still way outclassed by a true deep V RIB ie the Searider) and that *was* the Bombard Aerotec.
I know I'm going to get a bit of grief here, but I do slightly disagree on the slammy bit.
I find that providing I keep the speed of my sib, SD360, around 10/12 knots in rougher conditions it doesn't really slam into any waves. It tends to "roll" over them, obviously it depends upon the frequency and height of the waves, but generally speaking I don't find "slamming" a problem. In rougher conditions anything above 10 knots and it does become uncomfortable.
It was a different experience when I was in a Air V 380, I did find that did tend to "slam" into any waves even at lower speeds.
Old 25 June 2024, 23:05   #33

Not at all Steve! But 10 knots is pretty slow with little margin if you need to make progress in poorer weather and what the true V hull gives you is so different - being able to feel confident in say F4 head seas and to keep up a decent 15 knots and feel really in control in tricky conditions, with proper bite in the turns as well as running with the big waves in a following sea. That's the huge advantage of the Aerotec and also the benefit of it's narrower beam and slightly V shaped *inner* floor too that allows a much better brace position for the feet if piloting from the tube - although in rougher, wave jumping conditions I'd always go for the RNLI style kneeling position. You do need to try one if you haven't - they really are different - we were outside Dartmouth harbour a few weeks back in pretty rough stuff with a silly short wave frequency of wind over tide - even after 10 years of ownership the old Aerotec still amazes me with it's ability in the rough and how it punches way above it's weight for a 12' rubber boat.
Old 25 June 2024, 23:14   #34

Which leads us back too - why hasn't any manufacturer taken on board a redesigned Aerotec using the HP improvements gained from SUPs.
I was talking to a bloke in Tenby today who was inflating his SUP to 25psi, imagine that in an Aerotec type of "hull"! What fantastic performance that would be.
Old 25 June 2024, 23:21   #35

Could not agree more! See post #7 on this very topic!

Been saying it for years - guess it's just too niche - development and production does not make financial sense - certainly for EU manufacturers as they all failed or stopped and we're at the mercy of the Chinese as in some much in this world...
Old 25 June 2024, 23:30   #36

Here is a comparison for the OP - from a true flat Avon Redcrest to the Honwave, Y Class and Aerotec.

The deep V does not look that impressive but crucially it goes fully back to the transom (the Y Class is flat at the stern) and the angle of the V makes all the difference. The deep floor also gives you a real feel of confidence 'inside' as you sit in it rather than on it.

The (RNLI) Y Class is super heavy duty with a huge sausage but is still pretty flat bottomed.

Old 26 June 2024, 04:25   #37

There is a lot of useful information on this thread but I would add this.

The Aerotec is not easily available only second hand and they have potential issues.

What I would not do is Fanny around and not buy somthing. The actual sib itself is not that expensive generally £800 - £1,400. Buy and try or faff about and do nowt. I know not everyone has much spare cash but this is boating and Sibbing is the. Cheapest and very fun way to do this hobby.

Buy a Honwave T38 ie3 you will not regret it. All the other stuff can be used in any sib
Old 26 June 2024, 04:35   #38

There you go

https://www.rib.net/forum/f21/honwav...tml#post875034

Tags
sib