Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 20 August 2024, 05:15   #21

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Oh well worth an ask. You’ll just have to keep an eye out on all the likely places a review might pop up.
Perhaps keep an eye on my YouTube channel….. You never know
Old 20 August 2024, 09:29   #22

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Well providing you have the space to add to your fleet, have enough cash and "er in dors" gives her approval, then it would be good to see a meaningful review. You've got the outboards for it 9.8hp & 15hp 2 strokes and you have the T38 & T32? to make a good comparison with.
The only other review shows it being unpacked (big deal!) and pottering about around Conwy with no detail, at least you have the experience to know what needs to be highlighted.
Old 20 August 2024, 13:30   #23

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
Out of interest, how do we define "floor flex"? On my boat, which is very similar to this except it has a sausage keel and a removable single piece air floor, when we're up on the plane and it's flat sea state, you get this sort of undulation in the air deck you can feel through your feet. I don't think the whole boat is flexing, I think it's just the short wavelength water underneath striking when we're up on the plane.

Is this what you mean by floor flex?
Old 20 August 2024, 13:58   #24

Hi Croolis, your sib is different. This sib is more akin to the Honwave T38 & T32, with a high pressure V deck.

What you are experiencing is a pocket of air trapped between the waters surface and the "hull" of your sib, it moves from bow to stern and escapes at the transom. Some experience it more than others, especially in flat, still water, and the bigger sausage keel sibs appear to suffer it more. Think I've felt it a couple of times, both times in flat water and when I checked the pressures, they where low. Make sure the keel and deck pressure is spot on and if you have keel boards make sure you have fitted them.
Old 20 August 2024, 15:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Well providing you have the space to add to your fleet, have enough cash and "er in dors" gives her approval, then it would be good to see a meaningful review. You've got the outboards for it 9.8hp & 15hp 2 strokes and you have the T38 & T32? to make a good comparison with.
The only other review shows it being unpacked (big deal!) and pottering about around Conwy with no detail, at least you have the experience to know what needs to be highlighted.
No approval from her indoors needed.

I dont have a T32. I have a T40 AE3, T35 AE3, T38 IE2 in the Honwave line

Others I have are different brands
Old 20 August 2024, 15:19   #26

Still be good to see a side by side comparison against the T38, as I think they are similar in deck area.

How does your T38 perform with the 9.8 on the back when your 2 up?
Old 20 August 2024, 16:42   #27

Quote:
Still be good to see a side by side comparison against the T38, as I think they are similar in deck area.

Most of our boating in the T38 ie2 has been done with the 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke.

Generally it is Me, Her indoors and Poppy our small/average dog together with quite a large bag full of stuff, a Small BBQ and other stuff. I am certainly no light weight and her indoors is I would say average.

I think performance is very good. We get about 12 Knots top speed. It goes on the plane easily and once on the plane I can back off the throttle a bit.

I have not faffed with the engine or prop I am using it as standard and just plonking it on. I have a 12 ltr tank and 2 ltrs spare. I have never ever needed to use any of the spare but I carry it just incase

As I am sure you know there are many videos on our You Tube Channel with this set up. Here is one example.

Old 20 August 2024, 16:44   #28

I honestly think the T38 is the boat for you. The T32 has smaller tubes also remember.

The 9.8 is good but if you were to get the Yamaha 15 HP 2 Stroke(OR 9.9 with larger reed valves) at 36kg it comes to life and is in my view the best daily sib set up money can buy.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on sibs and outboards and feel I know what is the best set up. Granted I have not had an excel but I honestly think they are way too heavy. I am more than happy for others to benefit from my expenditure and experience. People must however make up their own mind
Old 20 August 2024, 16:46   #29

Here is the same set up with the 15 hp Yam

Old 20 August 2024, 16:46   #30

Absolutely loads more videos if you care to search our channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR7...sh_FwM_q5gOg6Q

(Mod edit)
Old 20 August 2024, 16:50   #31

We manage the T38IE 2 with the trim tabs with no wheels easily. If you get the IE3 you don't have the trim tabs and can fit transom wheels and it is even easier.

Of my fleet of 7 Sibs my T38 is the best and most versatile by far. I would not be without one. I made a ply front floor to go in the bow with eva on the top for Poppy to stand on
Old 20 August 2024, 17:02   #32

For me the best 2 engines bar none for Sibbing (with no trailer) are the 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke and the 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke.

In my view the 20hp 4 Strokes are for trailer boating only. Yes you can just about lift them but they are an injury waiting to happen especially as you get older. The additional 14 - 15 kg over the 15 hp Yam is a step too far in my book and I am 6 ft tall and quite strong. I know you have a 20hp 4 stroke and you do very well to hump that about. If you could stretch to a Yam 15hp 2 Stroke you would not regret it. But if finances are tight the 9.8 is also good on the T38
Old 20 August 2024, 17:30   #33

There you go steve 9.9 but pop in a bigger reed valve and 15hp. Bargain at that price

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-94780485d673
Old 20 August 2024, 19:16   #34

Quote:

A bit taken aback by the 7 replies, but thank you for the info. Good video re: T38 with 9.8

It still leaves me wondering if the Explorer 320 Air V will achieve more than 12 knots 2 up + dog + kit, guess we'll never know.
Old 20 August 2024, 20:23   #35

Quote:
A bit taken aback by the 7 replies, but thank you for the info. Good video re: T38 with 9.8

It still leaves me wondering if the Explorer 320 Air V will achieve more than 12 knots 2 up + dog + kit, guess we'll never know.
I suspect it will not get much past 12 knots to be honest
Old 20 August 2024, 23:30   #36

Now I've had time, I've read all your replies which I appreciate.

I am really surprised that you only achieve 12 knots from your 9.8 & T38. I get 11.8 knots from my 9.8 & SD360. The SD360 is much heavier and wider with a sausage keel, so I really expected the T38 to perform much better. I was also surprised when you said you never use 12 litres on your daily excursions. My 9.8 must be running rich as every time I've been out I've used more or close to 12 litres (or perhaps I just go a little further)

When you say "you manage the T38 with no wheels", I presume you are setting up close to the water? Like Ullswater or the Deben. One of the aims I have, is to launch from the hard to access places on the coast (West Wales) hence the want for a lighter sib and a lighter outboard.

A 15hp 2 stroke wouldn't be of any use to me. I can carry my 9.8hp a long way (hard to access places) and it performs well solo. The 20hp efi (47kg) is more than manageable. I can carry it short distances and it's so easy to move on the sib with transom wheels, when I'm away on holiday I trailer the sib with the ob attached. It also performs excellent, especially 2 up + dog + kit on the sea, which is where the majority of our boating is done.

So I will keep researching for a suitable, lighter 2nd sib to pair up with the 9.8hp Tohatsu, from what you are saying I don't think it will be a T38, but I'll never say never.

It may even be an Explorer if I can find, read some meaningful reviews.

And finances aren't tight, I'm just a bit more prudent and choosy than some.
Old 21 August 2024, 05:01   #37

When we set up our T38 it tends to be quite near the water. It will have the seats, transducer, chart plotter, fuel tank and fuel line on/in. We then carry it together and put it in the water. I then put the outboard and the rest of the stuff in and off we go.

I think the most fuel we have ever used is about 8 ltrs on any trip.

I think I have only ever used the T38 once on the Deben as we use my trailered boats there as it has an excellent slipway. Our T38 is our roll up in the boot or camping trailer boat for our travels.

If we take the caravan and Landrover Discovery it is in the Discovery boot
If the Motor home it is in the camping trailer that we tow.

The T38 when rolled up is too big to fit through a caravan or Motorhome door

I an sure their might be a way to get it in but we have never really tried to do that
Old 25 August 2024, 12:40   #38

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
On the subject of Boatworld inflatables - I just found out that with the Carbon Pro 365 you can buy an additional Air deck for £225. Not a cheap setup (you have no option to buy without the Aluminium slatted floor) but it takes the weight down from 69kg to 48kg.

Heavier than you might need Steve but interesting that you could spend £1,320 and have both decks. This boat has had quite a bit more coverage online and seems pretty solid.

... or how about the Quicksilver Air Deck 320? £920, 42kg weight and takes a 20HP!

https://shop.chastheboat.co.uk/produ...32232719908922
Old 25 August 2024, 19:06   #39

Thanks Tonus, the Carbon Pro 365 is too similar to what I already have in the SD360.

I was initially interested in the Quicksilver when you mentioned it, but looking at the specs the internal space is very small. It's internal width is only 68cms.

I may be seeking a Unicorn, but there's no rush.
Old 25 August 2024, 20:16   #40
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If this is for solo use with the 9.8 Steve is the internal width really crucial?

Tags
inflatable