Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 29 July 2023, 10:31   #21

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Ha ha! Think a bit of ventilation is the least of your worries now you’ve upset the crew.

Sorry to hear the little Kat’s giving grief but at the same time good to get a different perspective to balance my review. Definitely agree that this, or any other small cat, is not really suitable if your only boat to load up and go off on long trips in varied conditions. I now feel my review somewhat lacked balance and biased rather too much on hooning around in the surf at planing speeds, all in a lightly loaded boat. Bloody good fun though [emoji3]
In defence I was really comparing this boat to the far more costly Takacats, in which it succeeded, and not mono-hulled craft which are a far more practical proposition for the majority.

Also thought transom a bit high and vertical, although surprisingly all our motors worked albeit only fully trimmed in. The 15hp two stroke even worked better on a 10mm packer.

We tested mainly one up (78kg), plus 12l fuel, anchor bucket and kit bag. Also did some testing with the 9.8 Tohatsu two up with a combined weight of 145kg and same kit. No real issues except slightly more ventilation and required some nifty weight shifting to get planing swiftly. Think we achieved 17.5 knots flat out in calm water.

I know it’s tempting but personally wouldn’t go down the long shaft route. Yes it’ll address ventilation issues but will throw up some serious splash at planing speeds. Also try your Yam 15 first, it was certainly more resistant to ventilation than the 9.8 and able to run further trimmed out even raised on a packer. Might even assist with your payload. [emoji3]

I feel anyone after an inflatable cat should be prepared to go down the cupped prop and/or Permatrim route to get optimum performance. Takacats and TrueKits all suffer these foibles.

I’m sure it’ll be fun kicking it into shape and confident you’ll get there. Also keen to read and see how it all works out. Good luck.

PS; Really keen to get my hands on one of those Kolibre SeaCats you found the other day. Tempted on an iffy import of the 3.8m jobbie.
Old 29 July 2023, 18:56   #22

Town: Colchester
So what a difference about 9 mm makes. All fixed now and what a fun toy. See below my test after tilting the transom back about 9 mm at the top. Initially I would have given this boat 1 out of ten then after a little tweak 3 out it ten. After the 9 mm tilt I would now give it 10 out of 10 for a fun play thing one up. When I get home I will try my 15 hp yam 2 stroke ��

Old 30 July 2023, 07:58   #23

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
That’s a great result and yes, amazing the difference small adjustments can make.

I think by default the transom angle may improve as, even over the limited test period, noticed the force of the motors under power slightly deformed the pvc transom sleeves pushing the top aft and bottom forward. Only a few millimetres but perhaps enough to help trim.

Of course this may be a potential problem long term but it may also stop once all components bedded in. Something to keep an eye on!

I’ve noticed the Takacats seem to have an extra pvc reinforcing layer to the sleeve…yellow boat in pic. Perhaps Old seahorse could confirm if he sees this post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6277.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	143233

Name:	IMG_6395.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	143234

Name:	IMG_3582.JPG
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	143235
Old 30 July 2023, 08:33   #24

Very interesting point. Let’s hope those fixing tubes don’t fail in time. I am looking forward to having some fun with this little KAT once home and in an area where I can hook about ������
Old 30 July 2023, 08:46   #25

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
The Takacat has an external rectangular patch, and a circular patch underneath at both ends of the sleeve.
The sleeve itself is multi layer( like a Swiss roll). I’ve always wondered how they will fare long term, but so far, o.k.
That’s one of the reasons I don’t want to transport the boat on the trailer for any distance with the outboard on, to prevent undue strain on the sleeves. It’s looking why I’m careful to lubricate the transom tubes when fitting to avoid forcing it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2209.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	143238
Old 30 July 2023, 08:48   #26

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	143239Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2209.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	143240
Old 30 July 2023, 08:48   #27

Still getting the hang of photos- too many!
Old 30 July 2023, 09:44   #28

Just seen your last video on River Frome( familiar territory).
Looks like you’ve cracked it between you.
Are you being converted?[emoji3]
Old 30 July 2023, 15:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Just seen your last video on River Frome( familiar territory).
Looks like you’ve cracked it between you.
Are you being converted?[emoji3]
It certainly could be a fun boat but it is no sib replacement