Old 18 July 2023, 15:26   #1

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Tidework - Aerotec
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Bombard broken.. Honwave replacement?

Hi All,

Im currently looking at replacing my beloved Bombard Aerotec 380. I did some fairly major repair early in the year from the floor to transom and now the joints between the tubes and transom are looking sketchy, half expected it to happen but hoped it would last the season.

This leaves me with the decision of what to replace it with. There is a Honwave t38, with the trim tabs, currently available local to me. I have a 15hp 2st Yamaha to transfer over so I was wondering what people would think of that setup?

Im a little concerned by the trim tabs preventing an easy transducer mounting location, however there are solutions on here to that. What are peoples experiences with Honwave longevity? Roughly how long to guys expect from a Honwave before fairly terminal failure is imminent?

Obviously buying new would solve the condition question and the trim tab question but with a house move on the go, I'm after a relatively inexpensive solution to see me out the season and next year hopefully.

I'd appreciate any feedback people have on T38 Honwaves with the trim tabs. Also, why exactly did they remove them/have them in the first place?

Cheers!
Old 20 July 2023, 13:20   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
A friend has one that he uses for coastal fishing and he's had it since 2005, used almost exclusively in sea water and it's still in great condition. no issues with seams etc.

I've no idea on why they removed the trim tabs, but it could be because of access for launching wheels maybe? They help to improve the handling of the boat, acting a bit like a ski. Not essential, but a nice-to-have.
Old 24 July 2023, 13:48   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
i think i can probably help here. I had a bombard aerotec which the transom fell off. I had it repaired but the floor died, much as yours and I couldn't be doing with ongoing repairs.

I bought a brand new honwave t38 (with trim tabs) about 3 or 4 years ago and run it with my tohatsu 18hp 2 stroke. it goes very well with that. it isnt as fast as the aerotec, but it is perfectly fine and I dont think I would want to be lugging a heavier engine around. the engine used to run water up the transom on the aerotec - nothing of the sort happens with the honwave.

The honwave is a much bigger boat, inside and out. This is good - my wife likes it and it feels deeper and thus safer. It is also bad - it weighs loads more than the honwave and the funny kinked transom wheel set up is a bit rubbish compared to the good set that my aerotec had. it doesnt pack down as small as the aerotec and is a lumpy beast when packed - 2 man lift vs being able to singlehand the aerotec. I found it easier to keep her in a box trailer than be lifting into my boot which was a shame.

The honwave floor is not as good as the aerotec - it is a lot flatter, and it is very very intolerant of underinflation and wobbles around all over the place. It also tends to get a bubble under the transom if you are underinflated causing very poor performance. with an electric pump and topping up once on the water though it is 'fine'.

the honwave seems well made. i have had two punctures, both from being dumb and dragging the boat along the ground before inflating (remember i said it was heavy....). I fixed them easily and it has held for several years.

overall, i am happy with it for the money it cost. i have had a few sibs over the years and have kept this as i havent found anything better (other than the aerotec!). I would have preferred another aerotec and would have bought a new one had they still made them - but given they dont i have settled with this. I dont think you would be disappointed if you get it for a good price, but you will always think the aerotec was the better boat. I still have the honwave and doubt i will get rid of it, it is cheap boating that meets a need.

hope that helps. any specific questions, fire away.

R
Old 24 July 2023, 16:05   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That's about the most informative and even handed post I've read describing how the Aerotec is a bit special but also what a hell of a buy the Honwave T38 is.