Old 03 July 2024, 16:36   #1

Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp
Car Loaded

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has a pic with the gear fully loaded in the back of a car (not van) just to see what the logistics are for packing.

The wife has a slightly bigger car but if they all pack away nicely with just the seats down in a standard car I may be able to use older smaller BMW 1 Series

(T38 + DF20A + Misc Gear if anyone is rocking similar would be a bonus)

Thanks for reading!
Old 03 July 2024, 17:13   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Excuse the scattergun nature of this but my boat image files are a work in progress so this is easier than finding the images again on the Mac. In all cases there will be either a 3.8m Aerotec or 3.6m Zodiac air floor, outboard, one or two 12l or a 25l fuel tanks, transom wheels and all the kit for up to a week or two on holiday.

Current Ford S-Max. Seats 3,4 & 5 still in place. Loadspace cover drawn over the boat bits. Just a neat Tohatsu 9.8 2T though. Post 1 of this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/one-ol...etc-90140.html

A previous Mondeo estate. Rear seats all usable still. I think there may well be a DF20A under that lot or maybe a 15hp 2T. Post 3 of this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/newbie...ice-82196.html

A previous Citroen C5 Estate, 2010 model. Rear seats still in use. Post 8 of this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/engine...age-70264.html

If you scroll down to post 10 of that same thread there is a pic of our old shape 5-series on our return from holiday in Scotland. As it says a 3.8 Aerotec, 3.4 Zodiac plus outboard and all kit inside. Another Aerotec on the roof. It had self levelling suspension thankfully.
Old 03 July 2024, 17:16   #3

Engine: 20hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Excuse the scattergun nature of this but my boat image files are a work in progress so this is easier than finding the images again on the Mac. In all cases there will be either a 3.8m Aerotec or 3.6m Zodiac air floor, outboard, one or two 12l or a 25l fuel tanks, transom wheels and all the kit for up to a week or two on holiday.

Current Ford S-Max. Seats 3,4 & 5 still in place. Loadspace cover drawn over the boat bits. Just a neat Tohatsu 9.8 2T though. Post 1 of this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/one-ol...etc-90140.html

A previous Mondeo estate. Rear seats all usable still. I think there may well be a DF20A under that lot or maybe a 15hp 2T. Post 3 of this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/newbie...ice-82196.html

A previous Citroen C5 Estate, 2010 model. Rear seats still in use. Post 8 of this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/engine...age-70264.html

If you scroll down to post 10 of that same thread there is a pic of our old shape 5-series on our return from holiday in Scotland. As it says a 3.8 Aerotec, 3.4 Zodiac plus outboard and all kit inside. Another Aerotec on the roof. It had self levelling suspension thankfully.

Very kind to share - thanks!!
Hordec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2024, 22:09   #4

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordec View Post
Hey! I was wondering if anyone has a pic with the gear fully loaded in the back of a car (not van) just to see what the logistics are for packing.

The wife has a slightly bigger car but if they all pack away nicely with just the seats down in a standard car I may be able to use older smaller BMW 1 Series

(T38 + DF20A + Misc Gear if anyone is rocking similar would be a bonus)

Thanks for reading!
I'll have to have a look and see if I have any pics, I've squished it all into various sizes of car. With the seats down it'll definitely all fit in a 1 series though.

I use a roof rack too, but I've also packed it all into a mid-sized hatchback with just the 60% side of the rear seats down, so I still have one rear seat. That's with an aluminium floor going in first. If you've an air floor then you'll pack it even neater than mine. I put the boat bag in upright and push it right up to the back of the passenger seat so most of the boot is still available for the outboard.

My PFDs go on the rear floor/under the front seats along with fishing rods and various other bits. Then I have a bag for the pumps, wheels, rope etc that goes in the boot too.

Your first go will be a learning experience but before long you'll become a Lego master of packing it all in.
Old 04 July 2024, 14:28   #5

Town: Tiptree
Boat name: Orville
Engine: Honda bf6
Here’s a Honwave T38, a Tohatsu 20hp, fuel tank, life jackets, seats, transom wheels, electric and foot pump, anchor, throw line and everything else in the back of a Ford Galaxy with loads of spare space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4465.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	145371  
Old 04 July 2024, 16:10   #6

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
I completely fill the back with rear seats down of a Landrover Discovery. So all I would say is take the biggest car you have
Old 04 July 2024, 17:41   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
The Suzuki outboard seems to one of the worst designs for how we have to pack it in the car, and with the heavier, bulkier Volaire, we just can manage in a Kia ceed estate with camping gear, dog and 2 adults…...wouldn’t like to go over a weigh bridge though

Just remember, that carefully packing at home might be much easier than in the pissing rain and wind in a car park, after a long tiring day on the water. So personally I would try the largest car first.

Oh and remember to lay the OB the correct way up…..especially if using the wife’s car…….dont ask how I know