Old 27 July 2023, 18:14   #1

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Castle Stalker, Argyle & Bute

This is the only video I managed to put together of our recent trip to Benderloch, Oban.

The weather wasn't the best, very windy and quite a bit of rain. Still managed 4 days out on the water, which I suppose isn't to bad.

Hope you enjoy it.

Old 28 July 2023, 05:19   #2

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Looks like a good trip. 4 days on the water is good. Looks like you had better weather than we are having in Dorset at the moment. How did you find the midges ?
Old 28 July 2023, 07:35   #3

When I say "4 days", it was two full days and a couple of hours on the other two. It rained but it was mainly the wind which stopped us from going out on the water more.
The wind did keep the midges away though, didn't see a single one. Strangely Isla didn't pick up a single tic, normally she'll get 5 or 6 a day.
Old 28 July 2023, 12:23   #4

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
I've never been out that way in western Scotland. Tell me about the midges? I never knew about the midges.
Old 28 July 2023, 12:45   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Enjoyed the video, thanks for uploading Steve. I've not been round Lismore but I reckon from the research I've done of that area had you committed to the full circumnavigation things could have become very unpleasant to the south of Lismore unless the tides and weather were totally spot on.

Of course Donny would know the reality and be able to inform.
Old 28 July 2023, 13:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Of course Donny would know the reality and be able to inform.
Donny had made me aware of Lismore lighthouse and the difficulties it could present in not ideal conditions

It was a good trip David, didn't have the chance to get back up to Lismore, which was a shame as there looks to be a couple of good walks on there.
The weather didn't play ball really. Athough we got out 4 times, 2 of them were only for a couple of hours max before the heavens opened and the wind picked up. I had intended to try Loch Etive thinking it may have been a bit more sheltered, but the wind was blowing in so many different directions all week. It was so strong some days, it flattened a few caravan awnings on the site we was on.
Old 28 July 2023, 13:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croolis View Post
I've never been out that way in western Scotland. Tell me about the midges? I never knew about the midges.
Microscopic flying vampires! Well, the females are!

https://www.livebreathescotland.com/midges-in-scotland/
Old 28 July 2023, 17:56   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>It was a good trip David..... The weather didn't play ball really.

Scotland has provided us with some of the best small craft boating of our lives... and the most frustrating of times weather wise. So it will remain on the further to-do list perhaps until we retire to electric recliner armchairs and mobility scooters.

Re the midges we've had more good years than bad... the worse when the only safe place was within the cottage or on the plane at sea... the best when we saw about ten in two weeks.
Old 28 July 2023, 18:45   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Good to see you out once again Steve and at least you got a couple of decent...ish days out weather wise.

We were only over for 2 days recently on family stuff. but didn't even unpack the big red beast as the weather was so wild...

Oh for the heatwave Donnie had in his latest adventures.

But yeah its a bit of a double edge sword ......wind not the best for a sib in particular, and for the earache you get from the crew because of the ride discomfort 😆

But on the other hand.....no or much less blood suckers!
Old 28 July 2023, 19:43   #10
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
IMO, the best time for Scotland (and maybe Ireland too) is mid-May to end of June and again in late August through September, with the exception of potential equinoctial storms.

The temps can be a little low, but wind and rainfall tend to be lower and skies clearer. Midges at a minimum.
Old 28 July 2023, 19:47   #11

Think it will always be on my to-do-list or to-do-again list David, even with the iffy weather and the possibility of being sucked dry by the little vampires.

It was a good trip Brin, did loads of walking which we both really enjoy.
Shame you didn't unpack "the big red beast" when you was there.
I'm going to try and get upto Largs/Bute/Arran mid/late August if you are interested?
Old 28 July 2023, 19:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
IMO, the best time for Scotland (and maybe Ireland too) is mid-May to end of June and again in late August through September, with the exception of potential equinoctial storms.

The temps can be a little low, but wind and rainfall tend to be lower and skies clearer. Midges at a minimum.
Noted for next time willk
Old 28 July 2023, 20:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Think it will always be on my to-do-list or to-do-again list David, even with the iffy weather and the possibility of being sucked dry by the little vampires.

It was a good trip Brin, did loads of walking which we both really enjoy.
Shame you didn't unpack "the big red beast" when you was there.
I'm going to try and get upto Largs/Bute/Arran mid/late August if you are interested?
The big red beast is starting to get more like a big orange rescue boat……..but hey at least it will go faster, and with a few minor tweaks (I hope you don’t mind me stealing your latest mod) could take on the best the rnli can through at us

I think it might be September or us mate (if at all this year the way things are going), but it would have been great to meet up and to get out with somebody with a bit more experience in the rougher stuff. We are probably still a bit over cautious and going out with somebody else is always a safer bet, and maybe build our confidence and knowledge a bit.
But if plans change I’ll give you a shout for sure

Quote:

Yip….we’ve been relatively lucky on our late Sept and April trips weather wise. Much less flying devil beasties and very few ticks either compared to what we’ve suffered with in the past (pre-sib).
Both me and the better half not so good with the cold nowadays, so maybe a little later in spring, or a bit earlier towards the end of summer would be better…..just never seem to manage to get the time off then.
But definitely good advice willk
Old 28 July 2023, 21:12   #14

I'll be in warmer climes in Sept Brin, well Fowey in Cornwall

Hope you do get out a bit more this year though.

Surprised your sib is turning orange already, it took around 18 months for mine to turn Rnli orange, but don't be fooled, red us defiantly faster!

The site we was on in Benderloch, Highfield, had some great cabins/pods (whatever you call them) with a slipway. Made things very easy.
Thinking for you, better half and the dog in the future.
Old 17 August 2023, 18:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I'll be in warmer climes in Sept Brin, well Fowey in Cornwall

Hope you do get out a bit more this year though.

Surprised your sib is turning orange already, it took around 18 months for mine to turn Rnli orange, but don't be fooled, red us defiantly faster!

The site we was on in Benderloch, Highfield, had some great cabins/pods (whatever you call them) with a slipway. Made things very easy.
Thinking for you, better half and the dog in the future.
Another location definately worth a look mate…cheers
Old 24 August 2023, 16:37   #16

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:

Second this. Although July has actually been ok. Missed 2 days out of 30 due to rain. The real trick is to go East, no Midges and 20%of the rainfall [emoji847]