Old 03 October 2011, 12:39   #1

Town: Lancashire
Boat name: -
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Day on Windermere spoiled

I'm not usually bothered by the many cruisers/wakeboats etc. speeding on Windermere as they tend to give slower boats a wide berth but Saturday afternoon was completely spoiled by several totally INCONSIDERATE IDIOTS who seemed intent on swamping/capsizing me or the many other smaller boats afloat. One particular w####r buzzed me twice in 30 mins at about 20mph, less that 15 yards away. Lucky i tie my drybag to the grab handles with some paracord otherwise i'd have lost it o/b. My complaint was met with utterly foul & abusive language, infront of his 2 kids- maybe 6 and 9 years old. I found out later the Wardens had the highest number of complaints on Saturday for ages.

Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon, in contrast were really enjoyable.
Old 03 October 2011, 12:55   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
I was stunned at the speed and proximity some of the large gin palaces came flying through the flotilla of small fishing boats off Hengistbury Head/Christchurch Ledge on their way back from Poole on Sunday. You'd think they would either slow down a bit or take a smallish detour around them....I guess that would burn an extra 100L of fuel though ; )
Old 03 October 2011, 13:30   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Remember the average person is pretty stupid and half the people are more stupid than that...
Old 03 October 2011, 14:07   #4

Many of us experienced similar issues this weekend, all the idiots were out and about this weekend. Heard commercial operators complaining about powerboats going through harbour entrance at full speed not being aware the speed restriction is still at 10Knots through the entrance of poole harbour while unrestricted in main channel upto certain points. Also large rib was reported harressing yachts in the entrance, same chap who did not want to wait in a queue of boats going through the bridge in poole, same chap who turned around in the channel at cobbs infront of about 20 boats and dis not seem to know what he was doing, nearly made a catamaren smash into the back of me. And of course usual jet skis causing chaos.

The Police and Harbour Master dont seem to be interested in my opinion. Probably same story all over the country, made weekend.
Old 03 October 2011, 14:11   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
I was stunned at the speed and proximity some of the large gin palaces came flying through the flotilla of small fishing boats off Hengistbury Head/Christchurch Ledge on their way back from Poole on Sunday. You'd think they would either slow down a bit or take a smallish detour around them....I guess that would burn an extra 100L of fuel though ; )
It does seem to have been the last 'hurrah' for a lot of people with a lot of sillines going on ( thank fully all some distance from me ).

Aries - were you launching at Christchurch about 9am Sat morning ? , having had rear tubes 'fixed' ? If yes I think you are on my old mooring down there .
Old 03 October 2011, 14:17   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Yep. That's me.
Old 03 October 2011, 14:32   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Ace - am sure we will meet sometime....If you ever want 'crew' let me know.

Pete
Old 03 October 2011, 18:19   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Many of us experienced similar issues this weekend, all the idiots were out and about this weekend. Heard commercial operators complaining about powerboats going through harbour entrance at full speed not being aware the speed restriction is still at 10Knots through the entrance of poole harbour while unrestricted in main channel upto certain points. Also large rib was reported harressing yachts in the entrance, same chap who did not want to wait in a queue of boats going through the bridge in poole, same chap who turned around in the channel at cobbs infront of about 20 boats and dis not seem to know what he was doing, nearly made a catamaren smash into the back of me. And of course usual jet skis causing chaos.

The Police and Harbour Master dont seem to be interested in my opinion. Probably same story all over the country, made weekend.
That'd be the pillock in the rather nice black rib that did nothing all day but nail up and down the length of the Training Bank.

We thought he was scared of going out further than his mum's apron strings reached.

There was some seriously stupid goings-on Saturday. However, the gin palaces seemed to go out of their way to avoid the boats that were fishing. It made a change.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2011, 19:23   #9
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Ace - am sure we will meet sometime....If you ever want 'crew' let me know.

Pete
sounds good. Would love to head further a field with some experience on board.
Old 03 October 2011, 21:16   #10

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Whilst I in no way condone the stupid behaviour of some boat owners, I do wonder why so many fishing boats drift in the main channels within Poole Harbour and particularly in the entrance. Its only 350m wide and with the chain ferry usually taking up a significant part of that, leaves very little room to give anyone a wide berth.
I have seen that black RIB doing the same thing many, many times over the summer, the furthest I have seen it go, is over to Old Harry. Seems to be operating at pretty much WOT from the beach by the Haven and up the Swash and return.
Old 04 October 2011, 06:21   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
The idiots were not confined to Poole area ! Harbour patrol in Portsmouth harbour were so busy shouting at people to get into the small boat channel because the fast cat was about a mile away that they completely failed to see the large yacht bearing down on them . They were T boned by the 40' yacht who was unable to manoeuvre out of their way . I was privileged to witness the collision and had the even greater pleasure of calling QHM to inform them because the patrol boat was not listening to their radio !
Old 04 October 2011, 07:14   #12

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Bit worried as I live in Poole and own a black rib.....

It wasn't me though as I adhere to the speed limits. Poole was crazy over the weekend. We left Poole on Saturday morning for the BIBOA Weymouth cruise and before we left the harbour was mayhem although the Harbour master was out in a boat flashing his "10" symbol around the Swash area. Its ignorance in the main, many boaters I talk to are unaware of the 10 limit through the Swash, they could do with some signs on channel markers IMO to help educate people and have the Police Rib out. Before leaving we assisted a broken down cruiser(run out of fuel) by giving the skipper a lift to Salterns for fuel. On returning to Poole Sunday we found much the same picture but no harbour master with boats flying everywhere at high speed
Old 04 October 2011, 08:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
Bit worried as I live in Poole and own a black rib.....

It wasn't me though as I adhere to the speed limits. Poole was crazy over the weekend. We left Poole on Saturday morning for the BIBOA Weymouth cruise and before we left the harbour was mayhem although the Harbour master was out in a boat flashing his "10" symbol around the Swash area. Its ignorance in the main, many boaters I talk to are unaware of the 10 limit through the Swash, they could do with some signs on channel markers IMO to help educate people and have the Police Rib out. Before leaving we assisted a broken down cruiser(run out of fuel) by giving the skipper a lift to Salterns for fuel. On returning to Poole Sunday we found much the same picture but no harbour master with boats flying everywhere at high speed
Dont be worried it wasn't you. I expect the harbour master was fed up and didnt bother going out on sunday. Seems to me the police rib only very rarely goes out these days, perhaps its cut backs. I had the same thought as you about better signs being put up on channel markers and at local launch sites. Having a look at the harbour masters websites its not easy to find information about the speed limits. Perhaps a word with the harbour master might prompt some action. But I hate to say it I doubt any action will be taken until someone is seriously hurt.
Old 04 October 2011, 10:17   #14

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
It was manic inside and out of Chi Harbour. Had a wander out to the IOW to give the engine a clean out and came across the Royalist Tall ship just setting its sails before departing. I spent an hour or so circling around it with the camera and got the entire sequence of setting each sail up. It did a slow tack that took approx 5 minutes and eventually wandered off at around 3-4 knots, which is not bad considering how light the winds were. Sad thing is, only one other boat stopped to have a look, everyone else just blasted straight past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	312111_223827667677797_100001516976872_633111_599495921_n.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	63007  
Old 04 October 2011, 21:15   #15

Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20
Same story on the Thames I'm afraid. By Richmond on Friday evening a bunch of chavs in a speedboat were constantly buzzing one particular rowing boat, hired from Richmond and at one point Im sure punches were exchanges over the gunwhales between the boats.

Last chance for the majority to get out on the water seems to bring out the choppers.
Old 05 October 2011, 20:51   #16

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Bloody hell sounds absolutly a nightmare,,,,,,,,,,,,,punches were exchanges over the gunwhales between the boats.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shame they were not caught,need a bloody great big hole drilled into there boat and sunk ,keep them irressponsible knobs off the water.
Old 06 October 2011, 18:24   #17

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
need a bloody great big hole drilled into there boat and sunk
Is that with or without the gas on.......

i fully agree though. they should all be banned.