Old 12 February 2021, 05:07   #1

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
Elling KB 350 shopping list

After finally getting the boat and outboard on order and awaiting delivery end of March early April it’s time to start shopping for the other essentials. After spending so many hours reading on this forum and also researching online this is what I’ve come up with. Would appreciate any comments and criticisms of my choices.
Elling KB 350
Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Suprod hd200 transome wheels
Elling A frame
Elling bow canopy
2 Elling seat bags
2 borika rod holders
Borika bow anchor roller
Borika fish finder mount with extended transducer holder
2 extra borika complete mounts
4 borika push in fittings ( for any mods I may do later )
Tachometer
Outdoor master shark sup pump
Cooper anchor
150 ft 8mm nylon rope
4m 8mm chain
Garmin vivid 7 fish finder ( decided to go for the bigger screen than the 4 )
2 Baltic flipper bouyancy jackets ( the missus wants to look posh ) lol
Poover 12v 20ah battery

I’ve decided not to bother with the vhf radio as we both have waterproof phones and we will not be out of sight of the shore at any time.
If anyone can think of anything I should add to my list I’d be grateful for the advice.
Can’t wait to be able to get out on the water
Old 12 February 2021, 07:51   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post

2 Baltic flipper bouyancy jackets ( the missus wants to look posh ) lol
Do you already have full auto 150N life jackets? The posh buoyancy aids are 60N so will assist in keeping you afloat if your a swimmer and conscious where the full auto jackets will keep you alive. Just my opinion.
Old 12 February 2021, 08:01   #3

I’ve got my eye on some proper life jackets, I’m just a bit worried that they’ll auto inflate out of the water if they get a bit wet.
Old 12 February 2021, 08:13   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I’ve got my eye on some proper life jackets, I’m just a bit worried that they’ll auto inflate out of the water if they get a bit wet.

I’d put a handheld VHF on your list & not put too much faith in your phones.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 08:14   #5

Quote:

If they do its £12-£20 for a rearm kit so no lives lost and they need a proper dunking to trigger.

Something else for discussion is the front canopy, the one shown on boatworld is not on a KB350 so until one is pictured we cant be 100% sure of its design but here is my take on it.
Perhaps a borika mooring cleat so you can tie up to pontoons easy but more so to assist in anchoring using a painter to the front lower mounting point as with just a small velcro hatch in the canopy you are not going to be able to pass an anchor, chain and rope through there and it seems to me the canopy is compromised some by having the hatch in a place where most water being deflected. Best left firmly closed and anchoring done from the side?

Oh & First aid kit, inc a head torch plus knife, some gaffer tape to in case the knife cuts a tube
Old 12 February 2021, 08:14   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Ps, where did you get your Poover battery from? I’ve been looking for one & can’t seem to find them anymore.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 08:24   #7

Quote:
Ps, where did you get your Poover battery from? I’ve been looking for one & can’t seem to find them anymore.

Seems to be a few on Ebay for around £75 search for
Deep Cycle 20A 12v Battery Rechargeable Lithium
Old 12 February 2021, 08:26   #8

Thanks oldman2 your advice is always wise and I shall be following it. I did forget about a first aid kit. I also forgot to list a 6ft rope ladder to make getting onboard easier too.
The poover battery is available on eBay priced at £73.99 I shall be buying some 12v 4 in 1 sockets too. I’ll be making a stainless steel box to house the battery and mount the sockets on it. That way I’ll be able to power the air pump and also the fish finder. It’ll also come on useful to boil a travel kettle when we find a nice little cove to stop off at.
Old 12 February 2021, 08:33   #9

I would make that battery box from an electrical contractors IP65 waterproof plastic junction box, if the battery was to break loose inside its not going to have such an easy time shorting to any exposed metal in a plastic box. It also makes cutting holes for sockets very much easier.
Old 12 February 2021, 08:50   #10

I can get the box made at work and I’ll be insulating the inside with some foam and rubber. When I get the battery and it’s bits I’ll post some pics of it on here.
Old 12 February 2021, 09:02   #11

You have me thinking about the Elling canopy. I’m sure if I made it myself I could make it stronger and better than the original would be. Also I could put access wherever was necessary and to whatever size I wanted.
Old 12 February 2021, 10:54   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Re anchoring I don't fish and the way we use a SIB we just don't need to use one as we are pulled up a slipway, beach or tied on a pontoon. However we do have one for emergency use and I have made up a bridle which clips to each of the D-rings near the bow on the lower outside part of the tubes joining just below the bow handle and then fed up through the bow handle and clipped off inside the boat. Then to deploy the anchor we attach it to that clip with also a short length of rope on the clip tied off inside so we can get hold of the anchor rope to retrieve without hanging right over the bow.

This bridle is also what would be used if we ever needed a tow.

The Elling doesn't have these D-rings on the tube outsides or any other substantial point in my opinion for really secure anchor or tow attachment. I'd be a little worried about using the single attachment on the top of the front tube.

So it's my intention to buy a pair of D-ring patches and glue on where most SIBs have them. I may even put another pair just inside the bow one on each tube to give options.

As I said in the other thread I've ordered the bow canopy to arrive with the Elling and will trial as-is. If it needs any modding (I'm thinking height reduction for one) we have a good boat cover maker locally at the boatyard and he'll do that.

I think about all I'd use that bow attachment for would be the simple cleat they do for when pontoon mooring.

Random thoughts on your list...

Are you sure those Suprod transom wheels will give enough height to keep the tubes and OB skeg away from damage if you need to cross kerbs/potholes etc?

I wondered about a fishfinder tube top mount but have seen video of them vibrating like the devil in that position so had planned to replicate the far right of the seat position as on the Aerotec. The seat is well damped with the Mrs on it!

I thought long and hard about LJs vs buoyancy aids when starting sibbing. My current choice is a 70N buyoyancy aid for me and a 150N auto inflate for the Mrs. Her auto inflate has never gone off in the heaviest rain and spray.
Old 12 February 2021, 10:59   #13

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:

What he said.
Old 12 February 2021, 11:07   #14
RIBnet admin team

Oh yes forgot that element... if you are happy to spend £400 on a fishfinder for £100 or so get a VHF. Even if you don't have time to do the course you'll have it to hand for when you do... or in an emergency.
Old 12 February 2021, 11:35   #15

I’ve taken note of what you said about the fish finder vibrating and I think you’ll be right. I won’t know till I try so if it does vibrate too much I’ll do as you say and attach it to the seat instead.
I agree with what you say about the vhf radio so I’ll add the standard horizon HE 300 E to my list, if I’m spending 4K on a boat and accessories another £100 is nothing.
I’m thinking of buying second hand/ as new auto inflate jackets, is that a wise thing to do?
Old 12 February 2021, 11:57   #16
RIBnet admin team

Just judge a LJ on visible condition and test inflate (pump not breath) before use plus check cylinder and capsule for being intact and in date.

I've looked more at those Suprod wheels and I have even more concern re their leg length.

Their legs are short so unsurprisingly they are shown as mounting right towards the bottom of the transom. But that will put the fixings on the inside rubbing on the rear of the air floor. On some wheels you can get round this by recessing the tapered screw head into the transom so it's flush on the inside but this puts the nuts on the outside and I think that would foul the way these wheels fold up. Look again and see what you think??
Old 12 February 2021, 12:08   #17

Thanks for that David, to be honest I thought any of the wheels available would fit any boat. As I have no experience about these things I’ll look into it more before I purchase them. I think I might have to send Elling a little message.
Old 12 February 2021, 12:35   #18
RIBnet admin team

You will also note in images of the underside the Elling has triangles of fabric (anti-splash?) at the bottom of the transom joining it to the tube bottoms. Unless you are willing to trim part of this away the wheels will need to miss this too.

I can't remember if Oldman2 has fitted wheels yet and how he got on??
Old 12 February 2021, 12:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

I can't remember if Oldman2 has fitted wheels yet and how he got on??

I do have wheels on and there is a thread about it here somewhere, my wheels push against the fabric but I didnt trim it. I did need 2 hefty chopping block spacers as there is a lip at the base of the transom that I didnt want to trim or disturb.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/first-...350-84225.html covers it, more pics on request
Old 12 February 2021, 12:42   #20

I have sent Elling a message about the wheels and I’m awaiting their reply. I read oldman2 thread on his wheels and he had to do a little mod. Nothing too special though.