Old 19 February 2021, 17:29   #41

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Length: 3m +
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Your all sounding very excited waiting to get your Elling and so you should be.

As mentioned the seat is very easy to move into the position you want and good to use with an extending tiller arm if needed.

On my KB350 I have a 9.8 4 stroke admittingly I trailer my boat so I don't have set it up every time, as for launching and retrieving it depending where you are with the launching wheels fitted on, it is quite easy to move around, the secret is not to put too much weight in the bow when doing this as it becomes a little heavy.

With my set up I have manged to 20mph and very pleased with that.

I am also retired and not so young anymore and like yourselves wanting a boat that I could mange with as little stress and straining as possible, I made the right choice and like yourselves picked the perfect package that can be handled one handed.

We have a little Elling KB 350 club going here so and look forward following progress.
Old 20 February 2021, 09:42   #42
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks SF.

Yep being able to move the crew seat will be a great help as I do like to adapt trim to sea conditions which works fine in the Aerotec with Mrs F on seat and lightweight daughter as the movable ballast. But when just self and Mrs F I either have to move my position where it might not be ideal for the tiller or move the fuel tank which is a faff.

I've already bought a new to me bow trolley as the Trem one I have doesn't suit the cat style floor. New wheels arrived for it just now as the originals were twice the size and weight needed. I'm trimming weight everywhere possible for example thinning out the tools and misc fittings carried... going to a handheld plotter so losing the 7AH battery transducer and mount etc.`For a daily setup SIB we really have taken too much kit in the past.

Your 20mph is about 17.5kts which is close to the Aerotec with the 15hp so I'm hopeful the theory of the Elling hull enabling a 5HP OB reduction for similar speed is proving true.

With my shoulder damage I really mustn't carry the 15HP Yamaha any more so that has to go and as such is already promised to a forum member. But the Aerotec will stay until the Elling has proved suitable for our needs.
Old 20 February 2021, 10:13   #43

I can see why you're wanting to shave as much weight possible fenlander. I don't have the same issues as you in terms potential injuries but when I use my frib with my 9.8 tohatsu it's always a joy in terms of weight. Although the frib is a pain to lift when not inflated and as you say bulky

Have you heard much about how these ellings perform in rougher water compared with honwave/aerotecs etc? Apologies if that has already been done to death.

Cheers
Old 20 February 2021, 10:31   #44
RIBnet admin team

>>>Have you heard much about how these ellings perform in rougher water compared with honwave/aerotecs etc?

Not really in the detail I'd like and that's the most anticipated part be it... good... OKish... or not so good... I'll put up my impressions.
Old 20 February 2021, 16:21   #45

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Yam 200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
KB350s back in stock March when they receive their delivery. Not sure how many they'll be getting and if they could sell out on pre-orders. I'm committed to this change so will be selling the Aerotec but no rush... wait until lockdown eases I guess to make viewing/collection easier. I have already promised the Yamaha 15 2-stroke.

As you have that nice Mercury 15 2-stroke your SIB choice is wider as you don't need the ultimate hull efficiency.

I will be buying an air deck for the 15hp 2s, not sure which model yet, the Elling, Aerotec or Honwave. Something that can be hand balled to the water as I will be taking it away with the caravan, I have other ‘boats’ on trailers so as long as it’s good quality I’m not too bothered about ultimate speed or hull efficiency.
Maybe buy yours if it’s for sale [emoji41]
Old 20 February 2021, 16:51   #46
RIBnet admin team

Ha ha you'd want it for ten bob.
Old 22 February 2021, 18:14   #47

Quote:
Ha ha you'd want it for ten bob.

As long as the engine is included [emoji23].

How much you going to be selling the Aerotec for?
How old is it ?
Old 22 February 2021, 18:24   #48
RIBnet admin team

It's a 2014... one of the last batch before Zodiac paused production for over a year.. made a few more with faults.... then gave up the model.

Engine promised to a forum member.

I have to keep the Aerotec until I've proved the Elling meets our needs because I'd never find another late Aerotec if that's what we decided to keep to.
Old 22 February 2021, 18:59   #49

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi David, out of interest, why did Zodiac stop making the Areotec?
Old 22 February 2021, 23:34   #50
RIBnet admin team

Zodiac got into a financial muddle and were rescued or bought out but the restructure caused some (perhaps all) of their models inc the Aerotec to be paused for around a year. A dealer I spoke to at the time said they thought it was likely the Aerotec would be dropped as it was something of a niche and expensive product ripe for deletion if you were streamlining production.

Sure enough after a half-hearted re-start with many quality complaints the Aerotec production ceased.

See this thread for more info...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerote...ued-80825.html
Old 23 February 2021, 04:09   #51

Length: 5m +
I heard a rumour that Zodiac have also recently stopped production of their Classic and Futura ranges. Can anyone confirm this? It seems that their focus is now on RIBs.
Old 23 February 2021, 05:51   #52

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
I can see why you're wanting to shave as much weight possible fenlander. I don't have the same issues as you in terms potential injuries but when I use my frib with my 9.8 tohatsu it's always a joy in terms of weight. Although the frib is a pain to lift when not inflated and as you say bulky

Have you heard much about how these ellings perform in rougher water compared with honwave/aerotecs etc? Apologies if that has already been done to death.

Cheers
what size frib are you using i have been thinking of a 275 for the ease of manhandling and thought it packed away quite small was thinking the same as a few to take away with me caravan . was wanting something that was lighter and more compact for packing into the car than the old honwave ie3.2 i had. but if its not ill have to re think as there quite expensive
Old 23 February 2021, 09:22   #53

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Zodiac got into a financial muddle and were rescued or bought out but the restructure caused some (perhaps all) of their models inc the Aerotec to be paused for around a year. A dealer I spoke to at the time said they thought it was likely the Aerotec would be dropped as it was something of a niche and expensive product ripe for deletion if you were streamlining production.

Sure enough after a half-hearted re-start with many quality complaints the Aerotec production ceased.

See this thread for more info...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerote...ued-80825.html
Thanks for the info David.
Such a shame they stopped what appears to be the perfect hybrid.
Hopefully you new Elling KB350 fits the bill perfectly for you.
Old 24 February 2021, 08:49   #54

Quote:
It's a 2014... one of the last batch before Zodiac paused production for over a year.. made a few more with faults.... then gave up the model.

I have to keep the Aerotec until I've proved the Elling meets our needs because I'd never find another late Aerotec if that's what we decided to keep to.

At what age do you think glue is an issue on the Zodiac group inflatables?

Keep the Aerotec and have 2 sibs [emoji41]
Old 24 February 2021, 09:53   #55
RIBnet admin team

The Zodiac dealer who sold me the Aerotec said an 18-20yr life for the glue. In 2015 I owned a 1998 which needed loads of localised repairs and I understand it then fell apart beyond further repair a few years later... so that was 17yrs when the trouble started.

Then 2/3 yrs ago several forum members had Aerotec transoms come unglued on the water... all models from the early 2000s.

So the picture is quite consistent.

Re the two SIB idea that will only be for the overlap Elling testing period... beyond that we are moving towards our true retirement years (Mrs F stops work and state pensions for both kick in mid 2021) in a somewhat streamlined way so we de-clutter in many areas and only keep what we need/use.
Old 28 February 2021, 02:37   #56

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Spotted on facebook, on the roof.

ellingonroof.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ellingonroof.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	136395  
Old 28 February 2021, 03:41   #57

Make: Elling kB 350
That’s how I was thinking of doing mine as it’ll only be a 5 minute drive to the beach from where the boat will be stored.
Old 28 February 2021, 05:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
That’s how I was thinking of doing mine as it’ll only be a 5 minute drive to the beach from where the boat will be stored.

Insomniacs unite!

I am concerned that all the Borika mounts are on the top of the tubes, must be very awkward sliding it up there.
Old 28 February 2021, 05:45   #59

Make: Elling kB 350
Oldman2. I guess you are up early too. I’m always up between 3am - 4am I do my best research then lol. I’m sure more than one person got it up there. I wouldn’t attempt to do it on my own.
Old 28 February 2021, 08:34   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
Oldman2. I guess you are up early too. I’m always up between 3am - 4am I do my best research then lol. I’m sure more than one person got it up there. I wouldn’t attempt to do it on my own.

I asked the guy, seems the roof rails were just wider than the borika mounts so it fitted perfect, he loads it on his own btw.