Old 08 March 2021, 12:14   #121

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
I guess as I’ll be having a new engine it would be wise to put the good stuff in, for a while at least.
Old 08 March 2021, 13:08   #122

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
I guess as I’ll be having a new engine it would be wise to put the good stuff in, for a while at least.

Just to confirm, you’re getting a new 2stroke?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2021, 13:15   #123

Yes. It’ll be a new one.
Old 08 March 2021, 13:27   #124

RIBase
Quote:
Yes. It’ll be a new one.

[emoji106] I thought you were putting 2stroke in a 4stroke for a moment there 🥴
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 08 March 2021, 13:30   #125

Hahaha no. I don’t think I’m that stupid. But. Who knows lol.
Old 08 March 2021, 13:49   #126
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As with all these things it's a personal decision (and risk if you take it that's a possibility) but I've always been a by the book kind of guy. Re the cost... the extra spend using quicksilver over a low cost 5l purchase of TC-W3 works out about 70p per hour at WOT... probably 50p per hour at average speeds.

For a total reassurance you are doing the best for your engine that to me is little extra. Given the overall cost of sibbing is peanuts in terms of boating in general it's nothing really.
Old 08 March 2021, 14:59   #127

I’ll have a chat with a few of my contacts and see if I can get a bulk order a lot cheaper. The way I see it is I shall be using it so I may as well buy a decent quantity.
Old 08 March 2021, 15:29   #128
RIBnet admin team

Don’t over estimate the oil usage in your drive to bulk buy. A couple of litres of quicksilver will last you around 310Nm... that’s a lot of sibbing.

But it may be your contact has different views to me and if you’re happy to trust those then they might be able to get 5l quantities at a good price.
Old 08 March 2021, 16:07   #129

I agree with what you say, but, as I’ll be hopefully keeping the engine for a long time and as the oil does not degrade with age ( 3 or 4 years at least ) then if I can get a bulk buy a lot cheaper then that should be the way to go. For me anyway.
As with most things in my life I’ve always bought more than I actually need. To some it’s a waste of money but to me it’s being prepared and not having to worry about running out of anything. I don’t buy a tin of beans, I buy a box lol.
Old 08 March 2021, 17:42   #130

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Yes. It’ll be a new one.
Hi Tel, where are you getting your new 2 stroke from?
Old 08 March 2021, 17:49   #131

I’m getting it from a dealer, but I won’t reveal which one. I’m only able to have it as my brother owns a boatyard and runs a pleasure boat business. It’ll be registered to him although I’ll be the one using it the most.
Old 08 March 2021, 18:09   #132

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
It's alright for some
Old 08 March 2021, 18:15   #133

RIBase
Quote:
I’m getting it from a dealer, but I won’t reveal which one. I’m only able to have it as my brother owns a boatyard and runs a pleasure boat business. It’ll be registered to him although I’ll be the one using it the most.

Ahem, cough cough! “Discretion is the better part of valour”[emoji57]
Old 08 March 2021, 23:09   #134

I guess I’m just lucky to have some contacts in the right places sometimes. With my work I come in quite useful to a select few who may need my services too. For instance if they are refitting a boat and need certain materials then I try my best to get what they need. All swings and roundabouts lol
Old 09 March 2021, 09:19   #135

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Having never had a boat before I haven’t a clue as to how far we will go in a day. Basically I guess I’d just look at the fuel gauge in the tank and if I apply the same rule of thirds then that’s how far we would go. £25 is very reasonable for the two so I’ll probably do the same as you because I don’t really want to be carrying too much weight with me.
Our real world average with an Aerotec and 15hp 2 smoke and a relatively light load - that's years of trips short and long, river and sea, pootling and WOT, skiing and playing about - the average we work to is around 2NM per litre of fuel. Worst about 1.7 best about 2.5.

Aerotecs are draggy though and a flat/mild V bottom SIB with say a 9.8 will do better for sure.

In (non nautical mile) terms that's a whopping 10mpg (9NM) for 15 hp.

Meanwhile my Himalayan does 95 mpg and even our 25 year old Landy manages 34 mpg!
Old 09 March 2021, 09:24   #136

RIBase
Quote:
I guess I’m just lucky to have some contacts in the right places sometimes. With my work I come in quite useful to a select few who may need my services too. For instance if they are refitting a boat and need certain materials then I try my best to get what they need. All swings and roundabouts lol

Nowt wrong with having contacts & using them. Telling the world about it on a public forum however......🤦*♀️ The beauty of RIBNET is that it’s a broad church, there are people on here from all walks of life, marine industry, military, business, environment agency, law enforcement etc. It’s your gig...
Old 09 March 2021, 09:55   #137

Pikey Dave. Yes your right. Maybe I should of just ignored the initial question, but, the wise people on here have helped me enormously in choosing what sib and what engine to go for so I don’t want to appear rude. To be honest if the majority of people had said to me to get a Honda 5hp 4stroke then that’s what I’d have gone for, but the advice was to get a 2 stroke because of the weight difference. Hence I set out in my target to acquire one. I didn’t actually realise they were such a rare and sought after engine. My advice to others on the forum would be is that if something is not commercially available to everyone then maybe they shouldn’t suggest it in the first place.
Old 10 March 2021, 10:28   #138

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Pikey Dave. Yes your right. Maybe I should of just ignored the initial question, but, the wise people on here have helped me enormously in choosing what sib and what engine to go for so I don’t want to appear rude. To be honest if the majority of people had said to me to get a Honda 5hp 4stroke then that’s what I’d have gone for, but the advice was to get a 2 stroke because of the weight difference. Hence I set out in my target to acquire one. I didn’t actually realise they were such a rare and sought after engine. My advice to others on the forum would be is that if something is not commercially available to everyone then maybe they shouldn’t suggest it in the first place.
My advice to you would be if you listen to advice on here it is up to you what you do with it. Doing something that is illegal and then telling every one on here about it and then sort of suggesting that it is others fault sort of beggars belief.

So in simple terms you have obtained a new 2 stroke illegally and now everyone knows........cos you told them............. Priceless
Old 10 March 2021, 10:40   #139

Let’s put the record straight. It has not been obtained illegally at all. All the paperwork is in order, it will be registered to the boatyard and owned by my brother. All that happens for me is that I’m able to use it whenever I please. If people are jealous of that then so be it.
Old 10 March 2021, 10:52   #140
RIBnet admin team

Yep sorry SR but absolutely no need to put the knife in to someone new to boating and newish to the forum who thought they were amongst friends.