Old 03 May 2022, 14:01   #241

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
gear box next when i ran the engine the tell tale was very strong the pumps not that old so i decided not the change it i found on my 90 Suzuki impellers last a good while so not worried with this one on the 25. so drained the gearbox thinking that the drain plugs would be tight too thankfully they were ok oil drained out looking like new a bit slow as it was cold so had to wait. the manual says keep the engine vertical as if when running but i found if you lift it tilt the engine so the drains face down you get quite a bit of oil out a must if you have water in the oil. also blew air in from a hand pump which got some oil out. i forgot to mention that i bought a gearbox oil pump from Dulas too within the price that makes filling up a piece of pi$$ filled to level in the vertical position new fiber washers on the plugs top in first then removed the pump bottom in hardly any oil spill, cleaned up no leaks. next job anodes there's four on the engine but five in the kit five for the long shaft, all external ones were fine hardly any sign of wear so i cleaned them up with 3M abrasive cloth to get ride on the dust deposit position of them is one each side of the saddle bracket on the very bottom one on the leg and one internal one on the engine block. you take a housing off with a rubber seal in which the anode sits now the manual says that the bolt head of the anode should have silicon seal over it when installed [guess what], the anode was still serviceable but i changed it since i have five cleaned up blew out the crap fitted a new O ring a must says the manual and refitted.
Old 03 May 2022, 14:10   #242

RIBase
anodes pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side view of internal anode.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	140405   Click image for larger version

Name:	old and new internal anodes.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	140406   Click image for larger version

Name:	anode housing.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	140407  
Old 03 May 2022, 14:18   #243

RIBase
next the thermostat took the housing off removed the thermostat cleaned all up, had to use a brass wire brush for this job, there's a flat sided O ring to seal the housing manual says inspect change if damaged it wasn't so i silicon greased it a re-fitted. i know the thermostat works so didnt test it. its not a big job to whip it out if it fails whilst away ok the engine wont run a s it should but it wont spoil a trip until i get a new one.
Old 03 May 2022, 14:24   #244

RIBase
had a look at the air filter since you have to take the manifold off to change the timing belt, to say its nearly seven years old its in good condition so i blew it out with compressed air couple of dead bugs thats about it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air filter.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	140408   Click image for larger version

Name:	air filter 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	140409  
Old 03 May 2022, 14:41   #245

RIBase
next timing belt to do i knew this was going to be a pain as i dont have a flywheel holder proper one from Suzuki £250 plus vat.
first off is the air intake which i already did then the recoil starter, manual says take off the anti start in gear cable off but i found just laying to one side was out of the way. remove the cam cover two bolts and remove the wiring looms out and a sensor cable from its plug all easy enough. next the flywheel i tried all sorts then i thought there's two hole in the flywheel i could thread a rope through and tie it around the startermotor bracket there's nothing that can get damaged the coils are well out of the way which you can see them from the top. 100NM torque on the nut so decent rope will withstand that and it did result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	suzuki flywheel holder.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	140410   Click image for larger version

Name:	showing starter motor bracket where rope threaded through.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	140411   Click image for larger version

Name:	rope used to hold the flywheel.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	140412   Click image for larger version

Name:	circle showing the two holes where rope is threaded through.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	140413  
Old 03 May 2022, 16:40   #246
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Always good to read a servicing thread Jeff. Liked the flywheel holding dodge. When the dealer first serviced my 20 they too must have done up the engine oil drain with a three foot bar... ridiculous. First time I took it out to service myself I was worried I was going to find distorted/stripped threads but thankfully OK. Big fan of the oil extractor too. Use one with the cars all the time now.
Old 03 May 2022, 17:54   #247

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Always good to read a servicing thread Jeff. Liked the flywheel holding dodge. When the dealer first serviced my 20 they too must have done up the engine oil drain with a three foot bar... ridiculous. First time I took it out to service myself I was worried I was going to find distorted/stripped threads but thankfully OK. Big fan of the oil extractor too. Use one with the cars all the time now.
Thanks David yes quite chuffed with the rope dodge digging deep on old skills. I was a bit feared that the copper washer on the sump plug may have seized with electrolysis I don’t have Allen sockets only keys so didn’t push it. Jim next door owns the pump (manual) so that was fortunate I see lidle are selling an electric pump for £15 ish but the manual one works well.
Old 03 May 2022, 18:12   #248

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Good servicing thread Jeff. I'll be keeping a note of all the service info for when I start servicing my OB
Old 03 May 2022, 18:24   #249

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Good servicing thread Jeff. I'll be keeping a note of all the service info for when I start servicing my OB
Thanks Steve I have a service manual that helps a lot to be fair
Old 04 May 2022, 10:48   #250

RIBase
set up the flywheel puller this puller set was recommended by fenlander good set for the money unfortunately the bolts didnt fit either wrong size or too long or short so into the they'll come in handy one day bolt box sorted just needed to put some tape around them so they dont go too deep through the fly wheel just in case they get damaged, all set started to wind the jacking bolt, got a bit stiff so hit it with a mallet turned the bolt again and crack off it came, lifted the flywheel off no damage on the fly wheel quick wipe and set aside. next undo the three coil ring retaining bolts then the coil ring has to be lent over on its side to protect the wiring looms i held it in place with a bungee to be safe. there we have it the timing belt in full view quick inspection no damage no dust. so now take out the spark plugs thats so there's no compression for lining the timing marks up im changing them out anyway. that done turned the cam clockwise until all the marks lined up at top dead center checked the piston position with a pencil to be sure, all the marks are easy to find except the crankcase mark which is a bump on the engine the manual shows it as a black mark bit of confusion but no big one. at this point i did ask my mate Jim to check to be sure. so now to remove the belt there's no tensioner on these you just carefully lift the belt off the cam pulley and then the crank easy enough checked the marks again all good, now to fit the new belt starting in reverse on the crank pulley make sure the arrows on the belt face the correct way going clockwise now i found this a bit of a squeeze one side is tighter than the other i didnt want to undo the crank pully nut so it was push the belt in and down with a piece of wood until it was in place that done slide the belt on to the cam pulley suprisingly quite easy check the marks again all good, cup of coffee time
Old 04 May 2022, 11:09   #251

RIBase
new belt on

new belt on coil ring fitted, flywheel back on rope tight [just for clarity the rope has to face the resistance of the torque wrench direction so different position for loosen and tightening] i tied a reef knot which i got tight enough so there was no movement [that matters when undoing the nut as going anticlockwise with the crank could damage the waterpump impeller] so torqued up ready to fit the recoil starter quick check of the starter rope etc. then position i also fitted the cam cover before bolting up run the cable looms back across the cam cover and connect the sensor plug [oil] then bolt up, fit the intake cover and bolt up. quick look around for any bolts not fitted [ to be fair i always set my bits up on a table and put bolts in the position they came out just in case a bolt has cut its own thread because of a fault in manufacture.] spark plugs back in and caps on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new timing belt on.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	140417  
Old 04 May 2022, 11:14   #252

RIBase
engine back in the bin started second pull which is usual for it even if its stood for months.
quick check around all seems good the clicking that sounds like a tappet is the fuel pump which works off the camshaft.

https://youtu.be/Wz5ogiwktqk

check the tell tail after cleaning the thermostat and run the engine for a while to give chance for any deposits to exit the engine.

https://youtu.be/FSs5o1JWe5Q

so there we have it i hope it helps someone there's a YouTube video of a guy doing a 20 hp tohatsu which looks very similar to the Suzuki engine and danger marine doing a 40 hp Yamaha thats a very good video, that engine has a timing belt tensioner on it for those who have one.
i must stress i ve watched videos and have a service manual unless your a mechanic which this will be second nature, get a manual its a must IMO also sorry if some of it pretty basic i think its needed in case someone with no experience has a go just dont move the cam or crank without the timing belt on.

cheers
Old 04 May 2022, 20:45   #253

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Thanks Jeff for detailing everything for us. Will save the thread for future reference in case I end up going down the self servicing route.
Old 04 May 2022, 21:04   #254

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Thanks Jeff for detailing everything for us. Will save the thread for future reference in case I end up going down the self servicing route.
Nice one thanks hope it helps, look after your fuel then you should have no problems if you go down the DIY route
Old 23 August 2023, 19:12   #255

RIBase
Well it was time to change things last year was a shite year for both the wife and me health wise we are generally fit so when the lergy hits it knocks you back anyhow we are both back fighting fit now so I arranged a trip with gurnard (Donny Wilcox ) for those that don’t know him,originally a 5 day trip but cut short and a plan B we ended up going from taynult to the Ross of mull and a circum nav of Iona with two nights in loch buie. No more to be said about the trip Donny’s video is all you need. I was happy with my set up last time out but that was two years ago 70 in February those two years make a difference in a big way
Old 23 August 2023, 19:22   #256

Are the changes you are planning major Jeff, or more akin to tinkering to make things easier?
Old 23 August 2023, 19:52   #257

RIBase
Well I just typed the full mod and it’s buggered off. So in short got rid of the big black box moved the tank forward and the seat with storage bag, a separate tool box and safety kit flare box, a new fishing seat from west lake and down to three chutney barrels for my camping kit. Two new anchor buckets bow and stern making deployment easier.this is all about fitting my circumstances and anything that makes it easier is a bonus for me brain says yes body says no, even though the pain was bad ( air bed punching) the trip was more than worthwhile so these mods are an ongoing process.
Old 23 August 2023, 20:05   #258

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Are the changes you are planning major Jeff, or more akin to tinkering to make things easier?
Hi Steve yes mate a task in progress you could say an OCD tinkerer when it comes to boats I’m not ashamed of it keeps me thinking. Hope you’ve had some good trips this season.👍
Old 23 August 2023, 20:16   #259

I think any mods that make things easier and/or more comfortable are definitely worthwhile.
I took a look at the seats from west lake but had a nagging doubt as to how I'd manage with the tiller. I'd be interested to know how you find it. Why did you get rid of the big black box?
Not been out as much this year as I would have liked, mainly due to work. Couple of days in the Lakes, a day over in Anglesey and managed 4 days out when we went up to Benderloch. All enjoyable, just not enough. Got 10 days down in Fowey mid Sept, so really looking forward to that.
Are you going to do a run through vid when you've finished the major changes? Be good to see.
Old 23 August 2023, 20:30   #260

RIBase
It took about 2 hours to get a position for limited steering what I mean by that is no full lock to starboard not just the seat but me I’m big boned�� if needed the backrest will drop forward for tight situations which I won’t need back support to be honest even the bench seat had steering limitations if you didn’t move. The big box was is great but I needed to reach stuff without kneeling on it bad knees now everything is easily reached as I say your health changes so the kit has to change too. I’ll do a video for sure