Old 29 July 2024, 22:41   #1

Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 15,25, Tohatsu 6
From Takacat to Thundercat

I bought the Takacat 380LX in 2021. It fits nicely on my roof rack, and I've been very impressed with how little motor it needs to plane and how dry and stable a boat it is for the lakes and rivers I take it on. It feels lighter and more responsive than my prior boats (Zodiac FR340, and Achilles LSI360) and is thrilling to ride standing up mid ship holding a tiller extension and reins to the front -rings. One feels to be part of the boat and can carve the water like an oversized snowboard
A 6hp tohatsu 4 stroke is a great pairing for solo riding at up to 15mph, my yamaha 15 2-stroke would get me to 22-23 mph, and probably more with a different prop but that is more than adequate for my purposes. It has held up well the last 4 years and will remain my lightweight boat.
I've always been interested in boats like the Zodiac Futura and the various Thundercats which seem to be an evolution of the catamaran style hulls as in the Takacat and Truekits.
I'm now looking to buy a Thundercat, not to race, but to have the experience of a speed tube/tunnel hull boat. I love the idea of riding on speed tubes and a cushion of air. I've read what I can about the various brands including Gemini, Infanta, Caesar, Aquarius, and Mako, but I don't really know much about relative quality and performance. I'm planning to limit speeds to 35-40 mph and lower for safety but I'm curious which are best constructed, give the best ride in waves (hope to tackle bigger water), which are most dry on flat water and small chop, and which have been less troublesome long term. I've read much of Roflhat's excellent post but would appreciate any input on this. Thanks!!!
Old 30 July 2024, 09:04   #2

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Mako Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Thundercat is definitely a step up from a Takacat! I'm slowing down from speed runs now to just enjoying the boat for what it is, a very able seaworthy but relatively inexpensive fun boat.
I've owned 9 thundercats now, including the surfcat and minicat. The Mako in my opinion is the best hull I've tried. And certainly the best put together, very very impressive. The waiting list is now pretty severe I'm told, but Jim Keith has some in stock - https://www.crackerbaythundercats.co...oats-for-sale/

Great guy and very helpful, met him in person last year when he came to Scotland.

Infanta and Gemini quality are up there too, or were a couple years back anyway. Have heard mixed reviews on the latest Infanta design and they seem to have fallen out of favour lately. Gemini are a bit heavier made and haven't been so popular for quite a while now but the quality is always good.