Old 20 June 2011, 09:38   #1
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Fuel tank position in SIB?

I wonder where you all have your fuel tanks? In our last SIB, the old Zodiac 3.1m ply floor, I had a 12l one at the transom pushed to one side against a tube with an emergency rope to an eye on the transom in case we ever flipped.

I now have a 12l tank and a 25l one to choose from and still not sure which will be used.

My new Zodiac air floor has the floor loops and came with a strap to mount the tank towards the bow... this puts it 1.9m from the transom and would need me to extend the fuel line to around 2.5m in total.

As the action gets more lively as you get nearer the bow I wonder if a tank so far forward would tend to splash fuel from the vent when it's rough so it would tend to run down most of the length of the air floor to the stern?

Also does it make things any harder for the outboard fuel pump to pull fuel down a line 1.5m longer than the current setup?
Old 20 June 2011, 22:19   #2

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
I have 22 L right up front - helps keep the bows down when solo! Never had a problem with fuel feed or fuel escaping - mind you it needs strapping down well.
Old 20 June 2011, 22:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecast View Post
mind you it needs strapping down well.
Dear God, it surely does. I'm just back from a quick blast up the bay with the wee boat and the missus. I put the fuel tank in the bow this time and was well pleased. It really needs to be well secured though - it doesn't want to stay there. The standard issue fuel line was more than long enough (2.7m SIB). I didn't notice any fuel spillage or smell. The length of fuel line will be fine - remember that the tank will now be elevated anyway, so damn nearly gravity fed!