Old 09 January 2024, 07:58   #1

Town: NZ
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp
Halkey Roberts Valve remaining open

After pumping to inflate my Quicksilver HD SIB (with the pump that came with it) the pump-to-valve adaptor is twisted anticlockwise to remove it from the valve. This seems to twist the depressed valve pin leaving the valve open.
I could remove the cross bar inside the adapter that pushes the pin in and rely on pump pressure to open the valve. But then the pump pressure gauge would only function when pumping. Any suggestions please.
Old 09 January 2024, 23:09   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
If I understand it correctly the adapter for the pump depresses the seal so the gauge can read properly? But when you try to remove the adapter by twisting it off it also opens the valve completely, letting the air back out?

Have you tried turning it 180* to see if the adapter clears the + parts of the valve? Wouldn't be hard to cut off the part that is opening the seal and spinning the valve open. If you slow your pumping to next to nothing it should give a fairly accurate reading of what's in the tubes. A regular old pressure gauge you stick straight into the hole is a great way to test the pressure. The gauge setup will need the push pin to open the valve.

Maybe also try just spinning the adapter counter clockwise without pushing in and see if anything changes. If so you might be able to just sand off 1mm at a time from the push pin. Pictures are worth 1,000 words.
Old 09 January 2024, 23:20   #3

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Try a squirt of soapy water or silicone oil on the valve before you modify anything.

The pressure will display regardless of whether you're pumping or not, as it equalises when the valve is open. It'll gradually bleed away when you stop pumping, but it will still read.

If you do modify the adapter though, you might struggle to overcome the valve spring if you're only using a basic foot pump.
Old 10 January 2024, 05:49   #4

Thanks for the quick replies Peter & User name.
I did think that the issue would likely be with excess friction between the cross-piece and the ridged top of the valve pin. I've only found a couple of web references to this same problem - no solutions.
As there are 6 ribs spaced around the head of the valve pin I don't know if rotating the adapter 180 will make a difference.

I was wary of putting lubricant directly onto the pin, but perhaps a light application of silicone to the cross-piece is a place to start.
The boat dealer is keen to look into the issue.
I'll post what eventuates. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Halkey-Roberts close-up.png
Views:	318
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	144360  
Old 10 January 2024, 07:58   #5

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Looking at the pics you may find it beneficial to change the cross bar type adapter to one with a central screw plunger so it misses the ridges on the valve head.

Something like this perhaps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155852132199?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=O-Fum6m6RjG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jjUJZMnISt-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	144361  
Old 10 January 2024, 09:00   #6

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayDownUnder View Post
I was wary of putting lubricant directly onto the pin, but perhaps a light application of silicone to the cross-piece is a place to start.
The boat dealer is keen to look into the issue.
I'll post what eventuates. Thanks again.
There's no issue with a little lubricant, so long as it's the correct stuff. Silicone oil is fine and it won't degrade the seals. Soapy water is fine too.
Old 10 January 2024, 12:06   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayDownUnder View Post
After pumping to inflate my Quicksilver HD SIB (with the pump that came with it) the pump-to-valve adaptor is twisted anticlockwise to remove it from the valve. This seems to twist the depressed valve pin leaving the valve open.
I could remove the cross bar inside the adapter that pushes the pin in and rely on pump pressure to open the valve. But then the pump pressure gauge would only function when pumping. Any suggestions please.
Unclear if this is a new problem thats just started, this is a new set up, or what you already know,. So forgive me if stating the obvious or if I misunderstsnd the problem.

But are you sure the valve pin is in the correct position before starting to pump?

It is the correct washer for that particular valve on the pump connection.

Instead of sanding or removing bits of valves etc....the depth of washer can make a huge difference to different valves.

Don't ask how I know about the issues......after mixing up different pumps and connections and spending hours trying to figure it out
Old 10 January 2024, 16:05   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Over the ten or so different make/model inflatables I've owned this has happened now and again when I take the inflator connection from the valve. My Bombard does it probably one time in four and I never worry about it, just have a finger ready to quickly get on the valve button as I take the connector off.... only lose about one/two seconds air.
Old 14 March 2024, 08:30   #9

Halkey-Roberts replacement adapter

Well, issue sorted.
My local dealer, after confirming that there was a consistent problem, sourced an alternative pump adapter. I'll post photos of both the original adapter and the replacement. And one of the valve type.
The original adapter rotated the Halkey-Roberts valve into the locked open position every time the pump hose adapter was twisted to remove.
The replacement has a central 'disc' on the cross piece which prevents the cross piece grabbing the ribbed top of the valve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-14 212544.png
Views:	28
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	144647   Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter - no disc.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	144648   Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter - with disc.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	144649  
Old 14 March 2024, 09:47   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks for posting the outcome. Useful to have in mind if anyone has the issue in the future.

Tags
halkey roberts valve