Old 01 July 2023, 02:00   #1

Hello! A question: how old is too old?

I admire and appreciate the knowledge that is often found on forums and am curious to hear some takes on how old is too old for a SIB. Specifically what looks like a late 90s Futura mk3. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...2042?undefined

The motor looks to be a 93 Yammy. Whole package for $5000 CAD (3750USD)

Am I stupid for thinking about this? It's about a 2.5 hour drive, is it worth it to check out in person to see if seams are healthy etc?

Thanks all
Old 01 July 2023, 03:18   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to the board

Having owned a 1992 Zodiac MK2 Futura Sport, I would not think it viable UNLESS it was stored indoors. So where was it stored for a majority of it's life? Looks like outdoors from the photos.

Zodiac seams are thermo bonded and tend to not fail, but the floors and all accessories are glued on and the glue won't last this long. Regluing the floor and transom is a ton of work probably over 30 hours worth to go a good job. Great boats and a lot of fun. Yamaha outboard are excellent motors and only need so much care.

The price seems high to me, but not overly unreasonable, and hopefully negotiable. If there is something else to do in the city the boat is located in you could always take a look. "Make a day of it".