Old 27 July 2023, 16:41   #61

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I'd be heading down to the nearest tyre shop and asking them to put a patch either side of the hole where teh valve currently sits.

If its causing so much grief,get it gone.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 17:24   #62

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Planning a £10k trip round a £500 second hand sib( rescue or not, I think we know though) seems a bit mad. Can’t you just buy a new one(or decent second hand) in Sardinia ? Chasing and complaining about a company you never bought anything from seems a bit mad too. I would funnel the madness into a new sib and enjoy my holiday [emoji4]
Old 27 July 2023, 22:25   #63

Repair failed

Called ND got to i’ve got to speak to the head of technical guy behind the rescue birds who admitted that they were from China and that he would do anything you could to help me if I was in the UK so I’ve got to do the repair again and this time wait for 48 hours for the glue to cure. I’ve spent five hours cleaning old glue off PVC today
Old 27 July 2023, 22:28   #64

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake View Post
Repair failed

Called ND got to i’ve got to speak to the head of technical guy behind the rescue birds who admitted that they were from China and that he would do anything you could to help me if I was in the UK so I’ve got to do the repair again and this time wait for 48 hours for the glue to cure. I’ve spent five hours cleaning old glue off PVC today
Your going to waste another 48 hours imho, time to find something different
Old 28 July 2023, 07:43   #65

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Repair failed

You told us yesterday at 1.41am #42 that the repair had failed, now you've told us again at 11.23pm that the repair has failed. Is that the same repair? or did you repair it again and didn't wait until the adhesive had cured before you tried it?
Old 28 July 2023, 08:40   #66

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
If you've really spent 10k on a holiday, I would just go down the nearest chandlers and buy a new boat for another 1k. You will be afloat in a couple of hours.
It's costing you about £800 a day in wasted holiday messing about with this boat.
Old 28 July 2023, 09:19   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
If you've really spent 10k on a holiday, I would just go down the nearest chandlers and buy a new boat for another 1k. You will be afloat in a couple of hours.
It's costing you about £800 a day in wasted holiday messing about with this boat.
But it won't be orange & black and have S&R on it.
Old 28 July 2023, 14:25   #68

So Rake,

Buying a "vessel" on Facebook Market Place for a couple of hundred quid and planning, I QUOTE "an entire £10,000 trip around this vessel. We chose to drive to Sardinia so that we could use it and train my crew on it" is stretching credibility a little. You then compound things by saying "On arrival, we inflated the board in order to test it" then changing that to "Of course I did inflate and test those in the UK". However you also told ND on the phone that you hadn't tested in the UK before you left because you thought you had bought such a high quality vessel.
I think even though some of the things you have said may be called in to question, most people, including myself, did have some sympathy for your predicament, which is why you received so much useful advice from forum members most of which you have disregarded. But the more I think about, I can't understand why you would attempt to drag down the good reputation of a company who you have had no dealings with in the past and who have tried there best to offer advice all be it at a distance. I do not know what more ND could have done for you or what you was expecting them to do.
I think next time you are planning an "expensive trip" I'd advise you make sure your gear is up to scratch before you leave.
Old 28 July 2023, 19:11   #69

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
This is beginning to be reminiscent of that Itwitwit pump / balls(?) bloke??
Old 28 July 2023, 20:15   #70

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Yam 200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
This is beginning to be reminiscent of that Itwitwit pump / balls(?) bloke??

[emoji106] Aye definitely [emoji23][emoji23]
Old 28 July 2023, 22:45   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
So Rake,

Buying a "vessel" on Facebook Market Place for a couple of hundred quid and planning, I QUOTE "an entire £10,000 trip around this vessel. We chose to drive to Sardinia so that we could use it and train my crew on it" is stretching credibility a little. You then compound things by saying "On arrival, we inflated the board in order to test it" then changing that to "Of course I did inflate and test those in the UK". However you also told ND on the phone that you hadn't tested in the UK before you left because you thought you had bought such a high quality vessel.
I think even though some of the things you have said may be called in to question, most people, including myself, did have some sympathy for your predicament, which is why you received so much useful advice from forum members most of which you have disregarded. But the more I think about, I can't understand why you would attempt to drag down the good reputation of a company who you have had no dealings with in the past and who have tried there best to offer advice all be it at a distance. I do not know what more ND could have done for you or what you was expecting them to do.
I think next time you are planning an "expensive trip" I'd advise you make sure your gear is up to scratch before you leave.
I take umbrage at this comment.

The internet here is crap so I may have posted the same comment twice at different times because I didn’t see it actually being posted and thought it was the crap internet.

Point 2 we did test the boat numerous times in the uk and it was perfect. The heat here caused the incorrect glue used to delaminate - we don’t have this kind of heat in the UK hence why the failure happened here.

Point 3 I trusted ND reputation which is why I didn’t question a marketplace purchase and on inspection prior to purchase the boat had zero signs of use further adding to my trust in the vessel and it’s “manufacturer” who incidentally is not northern diver. These are in fact Chinese.

I spoke to ND and the gentleman on the phone told me the origins and accepts that there is quality issue and will address it internally so I have helped them to my misfortune.

Yes others are right - I need to divert my focus away from the craft if the current repair fails as well but I’m been to a carpenter and we made 4 wooden rings and a clamping jig to clamp the sections together for the next 48 hrs.

I wish I could post pics here but I keep getting “invalid file”
Old 28 July 2023, 23:01   #72
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>I wish I could post pics here but I keep getting “invalid file”

Sometimes happens if the file is very large or if created with an Apple product as a jpeg needs converting to another format like a png.
Old 28 July 2023, 23:21   #73

Sorry if you've taken umbrage Ron, but I do hope enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Old 29 July 2023, 08:25   #74

Quote:
Sorry if you've taken umbrage Ron, but I do hope enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Thank you Steve
Old 29 July 2023, 21:13   #75

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
I wish I could post pics here but I keep getting “invalid file”
At 74 posts in, we need to see some pictures. Use an online JPEG converter. Chances are you’re using your phone on maximum resolution and RIB.net spits it back out.
Old 30 July 2023, 23:32   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
At 74 posts in, we need to see some pictures. Use an online JPEG converter. Chances are you’re using your phone on maximum resolution and RIB.net spits it back out.
I used image size to reduce to sub 300 mb and no joy ??? Been trying to post pics for ages
Old 31 July 2023, 05:26   #77

Quote:
I used image size to reduce to sub 300 mb and no joy ??? Been trying to post pics for ages

Stick a Dropbox(or similar) link up. I, for one, cannot wait to see this cheap sib, it’s carpentry clamps and the £1k a day location [emoji1]
Old 31 July 2023, 07:21   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Stick a Dropbox(or similar) link up. I, for one, cannot wait to see this cheap sib, it’s carpentry clamps and the £1k a day location [emoji1]
That sounds a little bit cynical to me
Old 31 July 2023, 08:09   #79

Quote:
That sounds a little bit cynical to me

Oh not at all. Genuine intrigue 🥸
Old 31 July 2023, 08:21   #80