Old 30 July 2017, 10:41   #1

Town: France
Make: Honda Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Honda Honwave T35AE Tube Seam Failure

I have a Honda Honwave T35AE that is just coming up to four years old and every tube is opening up along the seams!! Definitely looks like a Friday Afternoon job. I had the first seam failure repaired and when collecting the boat and inflating the tubes, the second seam failed, these are not just holes, these are full length seam failures, on second attempt to collect, yet again, another seam failure. Cost me €380 for the first repair, €200 for the second but the repairers are now saying it's not worth continuing any further. When you look at the seams, there is a distinct lack of visibility of glue on the surfaces. Boat is in France kept on Davits, tubes partly inflated when not in use and the boat is covered over against the elements, removed and stowed for Winter Months.
Very disappointing for a boat less than four years old, have contacted Honda, no interest due to it being out of its 2Yr warranty. Lesson for me is don't touch one of these with a barge pole, one would not expect this for this age of boat.
Old 30 July 2017, 10:47   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It's annoying when you get "the one" but by and large forum experience across many members is that the Honwaves in the UK are proving free of issues.

My 3.5AE was perfect whereas in comparison I have two new more expensive Zodiacs returned for exchange/refund and my current Bombard needed a replacement floor.
Old 30 July 2017, 15:51   #3

I've got a 2009 3.5ae.
It's lived on a home made trailer for the last 7 years.
Took it to the Scottish Sib Gathering last weekend.
It's still absolutely solid.
No evidence if any seam failures.
Unfortunately you must have got a bad example.
Old 30 July 2017, 16:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I've got a 2009 3.5ae.
It's lived on a home made trailer for the last 7 years.
Took it to the Scottish Sib Gathering last weekend.
It's still absolutely solid.
No evidence if any seam failures.
Unfortunately you must have got a bad example.

Thanks for replying kaman, definitely seems like a bad day at the Factory, thoroughly cheesed off.
Old 30 July 2017, 16:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
It's annoying when you get "the one" but by and large forum experience across many members is that the Honwaves in the UK are proving free of issues.

My 3.5AE was perfect whereas in comparison I have two new more expensive Zodiacs returned for exchange/refund and my current Bombard needed a replacement floor.

Very annoying, thanks for your reply though, might have to file this one under "Sh** happens".
Old 30 July 2017, 16:20   #6

Your not the first person on here to have issues with Honwave build quality but on the whole most folks have no quality issues.
I've also got a 2006 Honwave T3.8 with the air floor. Spent a few hours last week re-glueing a small section of the floor and a grab handle. Other than these two parts it seems solid as well.
I would be well annoyed if I was in your shoes and would definitely steer clear of that brand in the future. As you say though might just have been a bad day at the factory. Hope it doesn't put you off of sibbing completely .
Old 30 July 2017, 18:01   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Out of interest where are these boats made? (Not that I am a member of the anti-China brigade on the forum)
Old 30 July 2017, 18:03   #8

China😂
Almost all inflatable sibs are made there.
Old 30 July 2017, 21:01   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'm surprised at that age it's glued most are heat welded now
Old 16 May 2022, 13:17   #10

Town: Kirknewton
Boat name: Susanne
Make: Bavaria
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard diesel
I have exactly the same issue as Blueajl10 with my Honwave T30. 700mm of seam just opened up on Stbd tube 30 minutes after inflation to below 0.3 bar.

Its glued, really it is! and not welded.

It has been well treated, carefully washed and stored each season and had 4 seasons use here in Greece for around 2 months a time.
I did have an early problem with the Honwave logo at the bow turning sticky and marking everything it touched with red rubber. Honda were not interested then!

I cannot imagine that I could ever have any confidence in putting to sea in this pile of **** having read this post and realising that Honda could ever have offered such unsafe products. Imagine the seam opening with family onboard and an offshore wind!

I have owned a Honda NSX, have Honda Lawmowers and a strimmer. All good products which is why I chose a Honwave. Well Honda, if you ever read comments on this forum, please be assured that I have no intention of being bitten by the same dog twice.

My next communication is to RNLI expressing serious safely concerns over a product that could fail with fatal results.

**** does happen, but by my age I thought I knew where I was stepping!