Old 12 August 2023, 13:18   #21

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Got any links to that info please? I’m about to do some PVC gluing & I’d like to get it right first time.
Just did a quick google and here's one example.

Old 12 August 2023, 13:39   #22
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Can you have Deja vu just the once?[emoji848]
If you are Yogi Berra, apparently so...
Old 12 August 2023, 13:55   #23

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Mike, it would be really interesting to see how you get in with Honwave, good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 12 August 2023, 14:22   #24

Did a quick Google and here is a data sheet from a different manufacturer.

https://www.polymarine.com/pvc-and-h...-repair-guide/

My advice to the OP would be to follow the guide from which ever adhesive manufacturer he decides to use, then he knows he will have done it correctly. That is unless Honwave repair it for him.
Old 12 August 2023, 16:43   #25

Quote:
Got any links to that info please? I’m about to do some PVC gluing & I’d like to get it right first time.
This YouTube channel is also a great resource, though it's in Italian. You can use the auto subtitles function if you don't speak the lingo.
https://www.youtube.com/@boatmasters/videos
Old 12 August 2023, 17:14   #26

Town: London
Make: Honwave
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Makes perfect sense.

There's no need for clamping pressure and it actually makes it more likely that the back of the repair will stick to the opposite side. You can simply bond them together and apply loads of pressure (really, get the elbow grease going. There's always air even when you think it's good) in a rubbing/scraping motion with a dull tool.

I use some roller tools for working the air out and then using the wooden handle of the same tool to apply extra pressure on a second pass. You can use things like screwdriver handles, plastic scrapers and so on. Just be sure whatever tool you're using isn't capable of cutting the fabric.

If you're tidy with the gluing then there won't be very much excess on the inside, so there's no need to worry about it bonding to itself. The opposite side won't be primed either, so it's less prone to sticking. You basically follow the glue instructions for layers/wait times and apply pressure to make the final bond. It'll be really keen to stick to itself so try to get the position right the first time to avoid having to pull it apart again. Using masking tape as an outline before you start can really help.

Once you're happy with the bond you can then pull the sides apart to make sure it's not stuck internally and leave it to cure. The seam won't reopen while doing this. The glue will lose its stickiness after only a few mins outside of the tub so the risk of it sticking internally will be diminished before long.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, will follow up with results if I go this route.
Old 12 August 2023, 17:16   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Just did a quick google and here's one example.

Cheers [emoji106] interestingly, Polymarine don’t advise abrading the surfaces, But Stabond does. Comes back to following the manufacturer’s instructions I suppose.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 17:17   #28

Town: London
Make: Honwave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Mike, it would be really interesting to see how you get in with Honwave, good luck and let us know how it goes
Sure, contacting them soon, I don't have high hopes frankly, but will keep you posted.
Old 12 August 2023, 19:33   #29

User Name, I notice your knowledge has improved greatly over the past couple of months :

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/pvc-re...-qs-89700.html

And your recommendations appear to have changed, from follow the manufacturers instructions, to......... "I'm right"

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rib-se...ded-89768.html
Old 12 August 2023, 20:05   #30

Quote:
User Name, I notice your knowledge has improved greatly over the past couple of months :

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/pvc-re...-qs-89700.html

And your recommendations appear to have changed, from follow the manufacturers instructions, to......... "I'm right"

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rib-se...ded-89768.html
I didn't say "I'm right", you're projecting that. You seem to really like being petty though. It's been evident in the short time I've been here. I don't know if you consider how you come across but it's not a good look.

I never said I was inexperienced either, you're assuming that. I simply came here to hear from people who are much more knowledgeable than I am. I have pointed that out before, even in this thread too.

I've done quite a few repairs over the years and I have worked in a field with related skills so I do have a decent bit of experience and I'm open to learning more. I expect there are users here who are significantly more experienced than me and those are the people I hope to learn from.

Don't be childish though. You're a grown man and you're exhibiting petty one-upmanship. I'm fully expecting you to reply with another passive aggressive response, but prove me wrong and let this be. You're pulling the OPs thread off topic.
Old 12 August 2023, 20:14   #31
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
I didn't say "I'm right", you're projecting that. You seem to really like being petty though. It's been evident in the short time I've been here. I don't know if you consider how you come across but it's not a good look.
IMVHO, you're a bit "Judgey" yourself.
You were glad of free advice very recently, not all of which was 100% in agreement but folk managed to give it to you as best they could without falling out. If you want to set RIBnet as some sort of nirvana where Love is All Around and you go unquestioned, well, I'll go restock...

Old 12 August 2023, 20:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
IMVHO, you're a bit "Judgey" yourself.
You were glad of free advice very recently, not all of which was 100% in agreement but folk managed to give it to you as best they could without falling out. If you want to set RIBnet as some sort of nirvana where Love is All Around and you go unquestioned, well, I'll go restock...

I don't see how you come to that conclusion, to be quite fair. I simply responded to the OP and when others questioned my tips I provided examples to back mine up.

I am indeed very glad of free advice, and I'm also giving free advice that's based on things I've done personally.

I've no interest in falling out and we wouldn't even be having this chat only for Steve responded to me. I would say the "I'm right" comment was more of an example of going "a bit judgey". It was unnecessary. Let's move on.
Old 12 August 2023, 22:21   #33
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
This is all very odd. You have labelled Steve childish, petty, passive aggressive and his attitude "not having a good look" in an unwarranted personal attack yet you want to leave those insults in place unchallenged and "move on".

Steve is a valued member of the forum with some 2,300 posts to his name giving advice from personal experience where it exists but offering an appropriate linked resource where that experience is lacking.

He correctly and without insult effectively pointed out two months ago you were a new member who couldn't tell rubber from PVC and didn't have the experience to know how to determine that. Neither did your old expert with 40yrs experience who you say in this thread is where you get your help from. Also back at that time you were giving advice on how to re-glue a PVC seam with no mention of sanding. Yet two months later here you are advising sanding as "important" totally against the advice of the UK glue suppliers the OP was likely to use.

This is not the first thread where you have asserted your firm opinion then attempted to police the following posts with advice as to how others should behave. You should be aware... it's not a good look.
Old 12 August 2023, 22:26   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
This is all very odd. You have labelled Steve childish, petty, passive aggressive and his attitude "not having a good look" in an unwarranted personal attack yet you want to leave those insults in place unchallenged and "move on".

Steve is a valued member of the forum with some 2,300 posts to his name giving advice from personal experience where it exists but offering an appropriate linked resource where that experience is lacking.

He correctly and without insult effectively pointed out two months ago you were a new member who couldn't tell rubber from PVC and didn't have the experience to know how to determine that. Neither did your old expert with 40yrs experience who you say in this thread is where you get your help from. Also back at that time you were giving advice on how to re-glue a PVC seam with no mention of sanding. Yet two months later here you are advising sanding as "important" totally against the advice of the UK glue suppliers the OP was likely to use.

This is not the first thread where you have asserted your firm opinion then attempted to police the following posts with advice as to how others should behave. You should be aware... it's not a good look.
Yeah, that's all a big stretch. Just advise if you wish the OP and move on. This is pretty pathetic.
Old 12 August 2023, 22:48   #35

Quote:
Yeah, that's all a big stretch. Just advise if you wish the OP and move on. This is pretty pathetic.
Can I refer you to #23 & #24
Old 12 August 2023, 23:14   #36

Quote:
Can I refer you to #23 & #24
I wasn't quoting you, but I share your curiosity for how the OP gets on. I doubt Honda will be forthcoming so hopefully the repair is successful at least.
Old 13 August 2023, 08:09   #37

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Codprawn
Old 13 August 2023, 11:34   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Hopefully boater99 got the help he wanted.

Forums exist to facilitate discussion - that does not mean we all have to agree but if we are going to start making personal attack the mods will lock the thread. If that keeps happening then unfortunately banning users is the inevitable consequence. It’s been a very long time since anyone was banned here for anything other than blatant spam or posting under multiple user accounts - hopefully I don’t need to come back out of semi-retirement and actually put some effort in again.
Old 13 August 2023, 11:45   #39

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
…..hopefully I don’t need to come back out of semi-retirement and actually put some effort in again.

You’ve got to justify the hefty stipend somehow
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote