Old 09 September 2024, 13:42   #1

Honwave & Outboard recommendations

Hi all,

I’m looking to purchase a Honwave but struggling to decide on a model and matching outboard motor.

The main use case for the boat would be fishing on lakes with a friend (I weigh 80 kg, and he’s 110 kg), but I also want to take the family out on calm days for picnics and general fun (2 adults, 2 small children). Additionally, I’m considering some light sea fishing, as that’s something I want to try, and I’d prefer not to upgrade later.

I’m looking for a setup that can be assembled and packed down on the same day and transported in the back of a family SUV. Most of the setup and pack down will be done with two adults, but there might be occasional solo trips.

Thank you all in advance!
Old 09 September 2024, 17:16   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
No direct experience of Honwave but I know of a man who has……and will be along shortly for sure

Must be a Honwave?

2 or 4 stroke an other consideration?

New or Used?

If you can live with the slightly narrower and V floor of the T38 IE that would be ample along with 10-15hp, although 20hp would be the maximum I would try handle on my own, but would certainly fly along.

The T32 is a smaller option and would definately handle well with a smaller lighter outboard.

Your usage sounds quite similar to ours although I have a lump of a Volaire and Suzuki 20 efi.

If going to the open sea fishing I would personally recommend the larger boat for handling chop a bit better perhaps, depending on your fishing grounds etc

Ali floor an outside option, but just more faff setting up and down, but maybe gives you a better standing platform.

If at all possible I would try to see them in the flesh first…….if not youtube might be your best friend or do a “search” of the forum and plenty will pop up.
Old 09 September 2024, 18:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
No direct experience of Honwave but I know of a man who has……and will be along shortly for sure

Must be a Honwave?

2 or 4 stroke an other consideration?

New or Used?

If you can live with the slightly narrower and V floor of the T38 IE that would be ample along with 10-15hp, although 20hp would be the maximum I would try handle on my own, but would certainly fly along.

The T32 is a smaller option and would definately handle well with a smaller lighter outboard.

Your usage sounds quite similar to ours although I have a lump of a Volaire and Suzuki 20 efi.

If going to the open sea fishing I would personally recommend the larger boat for handling chop a bit better perhaps, depending on your fishing grounds etc

Ali floor an outside option, but just more faff setting up and down, but maybe gives you a better standing platform.

If at all possible I would try to see them in the flesh first…….if not youtube might be your best friend or do a “search” of the forum and plenty will pop up.
I'm new to all of this, so I've been leaning towards Honwave after doing some light research, along with the Honda engines, which I believe are 4-stroke.

I prefer to purchase new to benefit from the warranty, based on my past experience with buying second-hand items.

I've seen the aluminium floors, which are very appealing and look perfect, but from what I've gathered, they seem difficult to set up and take down, which is putting me off.Also, I'm based in Manchester and am not sure where I can go to view them.
Old 09 September 2024, 18:07   #4

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi and welcome,

I see that Brin has already beat me too it.

If you don't know what model of Honwave, then how do you know you want a Honwave?

Don't get me wrong, great sib, but what about all the others that may fit your needs and budget. Excel, Boatworld, Zodiac.

I'm not into fishing, but if you look at most of the YouTube vids I don't see many of the good ones using a V Honwave such as the T38, the vast majority are either using Ali deck sibs which IMO are a PTA to set up daily and best suited to a trailer or flat airdecks with a V "sausage keel.

For two larg'ish adults fishing or 2 adults and 2 children, I would suggest a sib 3.5 mtrs +
and 0.8 mtrs internal beam (spec sheets are sometimes wrong!) minimum to comfortably get on the plane would be 15hp, but again I would suggest a 20hp efi which is just about manageable to handle in terms of weight.

Edit: just noticed your reply to Brin saying your in Manchester, and by the sound of it not really seen much in the flesh.
Take a trip to Boatworld (not a million miles away) don't be swayed and / or rushed by any salesman. See things in the "flesh" if you can before buying. Research and research again, it's the end of the season so your in no rush..
Old 09 September 2024, 18:25   #5

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I just had a quick look at the other brands you mentioned, and they look really good.

I've taken note of your suggestions, and like you said, I'm in no rush to buy just yet, but I'll be aiming to have a boat in time for the winter pike season.

It’s a shame boat world isn’t open weekends. I’ll have try get down one day this week
Old 09 September 2024, 19:19   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum from me too. Lots of good advice to provoke thought in the posts above.

Have you considered outboard size and are you aware of the concept of being able to plane or not? Most of the outboard major makers are equal in their reliability and ability these days so the choice is often on their weight for any given HP. This is an important factor with a daily setup. It's for that reason quite a few folks use older 2-strokes as they weigh a lot less in most of the HP ranges in portable sizes. New 2-strokes are available but you need a business case to purchase one since the law changed around 2007.
Old 09 September 2024, 19:31   #7

I wouldn't go to Boatworld this week or next week for that matter. A lot of the showroom models will be at the Southampton Boat Show, so you may be disappointed seeing what's available to view at Boatworld.

What lakes are you planning on using your sib?
Old 10 September 2024, 07:49   #8

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Perhaps worth a day out and pay the Boat Show a visit. Ideal timing if you’re currently undecided with Honwave, Excel, Boatworld, Zodiac etc. all represented plus more. You’ll also be able to see in the flesh outboards from all the ‘big six’ manufacturers.
Old 10 September 2024, 16:03   #9

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
I have many Honwaves and love them. I have the T35, T40 and the Wonderful T38 IE

I could say much about them but if you look on my youtube channel there are many videos of me and Her indoors out in ours. Link below

https://www.youtube.com/@boatingsibbingandwandering3262
Old 10 September 2024, 18:47   #10

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
Taking a trip to Southampton boat show is a good idea.
2 stroke are great but unlikely to buy new, which is what you would like to do.
Old 10 September 2024, 19:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Sorry Brin, you was saying?

Tags
outboard